Jump to content
Antitroll2828

Off-season transfer Portal

Recommended Posts

Is anyone sure on his age? From what I can see, he is 19 and will turn 20 in the next 2 months. I believe that is why he could not wrestle high school last year due to the age limit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2022 at 5:59 PM, Idaho said:

Is anyone sure on his age? From what I can see, he is 19 and will turn 20 in the next 2 months. I believe that is why he could not wrestle high school last year due to the age limit. 

Chittum is 20?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Chittum is 20?

That's what I read on a couple of other message boards. Seems very old  - two years older than his senior class - which is why I asked the question if anyone knew for sure. 

1 minute ago, Le duke said:


He was an 18 year old high school sophomore.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So that would make him 20 then. Makes sense why we didn't see him in a state tournament this year....at least in Tennessee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ionel said:

So maybe held back 2 years?

I've seen it done where some will both start kindergarten a year late and then get held back at another point in time.  Seems excessive for youth sports but just my own opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

How many times have these over developed held back guys actually worked out in D1 college wrestling? They have close to hit there peak potential already

Mark Hall and Daton Fix off the top of my head.   But I'm not sure if we really know who all was held back or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I've seen it done where some will both start kindergarten a year late and then get held back at another point in time.  Seems excessive for youth sports but just my own opinion 

Yep - This happens in all sports. It seems to happen in 8th grade a lot - a kid finishes 8th grade and gets held back - goes to a different middle school/jr high to repeat so they can get that extra year in before high school. I have seen it in boys and girls sports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I've seen it done where some will both start kindergarten a year late and then get held back at another point in time.  Seems excessive for youth sports but just my own opinion 

I agree. My son and his best friend are 5 months apart - both 19. He is in his 2nd year of college, his friend is a senior in HS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Yep - This happens in all sports. It seems to happen in 8th grade a lot - a kid finishes 8th grade and gets held back - goes to a different middle school/jr high to repeat so they can get that extra year in before high school. I have seen it in boys and girls sports. 

I think the question is does that "often" happen with kids who also started kindergarten late?  I'd like to think most of the parents starting their kids in K late aren't doing it for athletic reasons, but who knows...

I do know the HS class of I think 2025 (maybe my math is off, people that started kindergarten in 2021/2022) is going to be super old - have to imagine there was a record number of hold backs in 2020/2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

How many times have these over developed held back guys actually worked out in D1 college wrestling? They have close to hit there peak potential already

Like many things with our youth development “system”. People will point to the couple of cases it worked like Fix or Hall and ignore all of the kids who either end up hating the sport, over using their bodies too early and peaking too early that vastly outnumber the successes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chattanooga's Nicholson transferred to Virginia Tech.

With Andionian moving up to 157, that leaves three options for them at 165 that could/would all likely win a match (or few) at NCAAs next year. 

I know Ulrey was pretty small for 165 last year.  Brady was the same size but 157.  Any chance either go 149 and Henson shirts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jp157 said:

Like many things with our youth development “system”. People will point to the couple of cases it worked like Fix or Hall and ignore all of the kids who either end up hating the sport, over using their bodies too early and peaking too early that vastly outnumber the successes 

Can you give some examples where that happened with guys that were held back and were highly touted?  Part of my point was we don’t really know who all was held back for the most part.

I do think for the top guys, being held back doesn’t really matter.  But for a fringe guy, being held back could be the difference between D1 and D2/3, or getting some scholarship money or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Can you give some examples where that happened with guys that were held back and were highly touted?  Part of my point was we don’t really know who all was held back for the most part.

I do think for the top guys, being held back doesn’t really matter.  But for a fringe guy, being held back could be the difference between D1 and D2/3, or getting some scholarship money or not.

I don't disagree with this, however as a side note I think it's funny in all sports how much money parents will pay over the course of a kids life for clubs, camps, training, travel, etc. to get some scholarship money. If they invested it all in a tax free 529 plan over the course 0f 18 years they would have more than the scholarship money they hope their kid gets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Chattanooga's Nicholson transferred to Virginia Tech.

With Andionian moving up to 157, that leaves three options for them at 165 that could/would all likely win a match (or few) at NCAAs next year. 

I know Ulrey was pretty small for 165 last year.  Brady was the same size but 157.  Any chance either go 149 and Henson shirts?

Wow a three-way tie among these guys basically.  I predict Nicholson, Brady, Ulrey in that order but it could just as well be the other way around.  I don't have enough knowledge about whether any of these guys could make 149.  Ulrey looked like his frame might be took big for that even though he is shorter.  The team seemed to be pretty optimistic about Henson but I don't think a redshirt year would hurt him either.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Idaho said:

I don't disagree with this, however as a side note I think it's funny in all sports how much money parents will pay over the course of a kids life for clubs, camps, training, travel, etc. to get some scholarship money. If they invested it all in a tax free 529 plan over the course 0f 18 years they would have more than the scholarship money they hope their kid gets. 

Probably true 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...