Antitroll2828

Off-season transfer Portal

On 5/4/2022 at 4:11 AM, Lunaticfringe said:

How many times have these over developed held back guys actually worked out in D1 college wrestling? They have close to hit there peak potential already

Logan Stieber

It’s sad to see Finesilver transfer after all those years of brothers competing at Duke. It’s Saving Private Ryan-esque the number of times they’ve competed for that university in the NCAA bracket. 

5 hours ago, BobDole said:

Arizona State has Eric Thompson on staff who was at Penn State when Cenzo was there. That would make a lot of sense for him to go with a former coach at Arizona State.

Also has a training partner at his weight who wrestles for another country so they wouldn't meet at the Open or the trials.

33 minutes ago, ionel said:

Thought Cenzo was Pennsylvania Dutch.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I used to live in PA Dutch region and had German ancestors.  I never understood why we didn't refer to ourselves as PA Dutch but others did.  It wasn't until years later that Wikipedia was able to provide me with this answer:

Contrary to popular belief, the word "Dutch" in "Pennsylvania Dutch" is not a mistranslation, but rather a corruption of the Pennsylvania German endonym Deitsch, which means "Pennsylvania Dutch / German" or "German".[2][3][4][5] Ultimately, the terms Deitsch, Dutch, Diets and Deutsch are all descendants of the Proto-Germanic word *þiudiskaz meaning "popular" or "of the people".[6] The continued use of "Pennsylvania Dutch" was strengthened by the Pennsylvania Dutch in the 19th century as a way of distinguishing themselves from later (post 1830) waves of German immigrants to the United States, with the Pennsylvania Dutch referring to themselves as Deitsche and to Germans as Deitschlenner (literally "Germany-ers", compare Deutschland-er) whom they saw as a related but distinct group.[7]

27 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I used to live in PA Dutch region and had German ancestors.  I never understood why we didn't refer to ourselves as PA Dutch but others did.  It wasn't until years later that Wikipedia was able to provide me with this answer:

Contrary to popular belief, the word "Dutch" in "Pennsylvania Dutch" is not a mistranslation, but rather a corruption of the Pennsylvania German endonym Deitsch, which means "Pennsylvania Dutch / German" or "German".[2][3][4][5] Ultimately, the terms Deitsch, Dutch, Diets and Deutsch are all descendants of the Proto-Germanic word *þiudiskaz meaning "popular" or "of the people".[6] The continued use of "Pennsylvania Dutch" was strengthened by the Pennsylvania Dutch in the 19th century as a way of distinguishing themselves from later (post 1830) waves of German immigrants to the United States, with the Pennsylvania Dutch referring to themselves as Deitsche and to Germans as Deitschlenner (literally "Germany-ers", compare Deutschland-er) whom they saw as a related but distinct group.[7]

Should we refer to you as             Van Flyingcement? 

55 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Should we refer to you as             Van Flyingcement? 

Cenzo prob PA Dutch but flyingcement is likely Italian heritage.

The word "cement" can be traced back to the Ancient Roman term opus caementicium, used to describe masonry resembling modern concrete that was made from crushed rock with burnt lime as binder. The volcanic ash and pulverized brick supplements that were added to the burnt lime, to obtain a hydraulic binder, were later referred to as cementum, cimentum, cäment, and cement. In modern times, organic polymers are sometimes used as cements in concrete.

5 minutes ago, ionel said:

The word "cement" can be traced back to the Ancient Roman term opus caementicium, used to describe masonry resembling modern concrete that was made from crushed rock with burnt lime as binder. The volcanic ash and pulverized brick supplements that were added to the burnt lime, to obtain a hydraulic binder, were later referred to as cementum, cimentum, cäment, and cement. In modern times, organic polymers are sometimes used as cements in concrete.

you're right of course - also Italian (and Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Swiss, among others).  Hard to find that kind of combo outside the USA I imagine which in another sense makes me pretty American .

Willie tweeted that Lamont is going to make his decision soon.  Most of the people who have liked and commented seem to be associated with Wisconsin in some way.  May not mean anything but excited to see where he lands

10 minutes ago, ionel said:

Dutch for flying is Vliegen ... So really it would be Van Vliegen Opus Caementicium.  

6 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Dutch for flying is Vliegen ... So really it would be Van Vliegen Opus Caementicium.  

it's not probably even worth knowing for people outside the area, but the PA Dutch are actually German.  I don't know any German at all so I had to use Google Translate.  Looks like Fliegender Zement.  I personally prefer the Welsh translation of Sment Hedfan

50 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

it's not probably even worth knowing for people outside the area, but the PA Dutch are actually German.  I don't know any German at all so I had to use Google Translate.  Looks like Fliegender Zement.  I personally prefer the Welsh translation of Sment Hedfan

Van Sment Hedfan sounds better and more wrestling appropriate. 

8 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I prefer the Irish translation "Aye laddie, I'll have another!"

10 hours ago, flyingcement said:

There's a famous legend/tourist-idiot trap nearby where I live that has the same mistranslation. The Lost Dutchman mine was supposedly found by a German immigrant named Jacob Waltz/Walz and people have been trying to find it ever since. Every year morons from out of state come here on their summer vacation to try and find it, without realizing how hot it gets, don't bring enough water and end up as coyote food or buzzard bait.