Antitroll2828

Off-season transfer Portal

25 minutes ago, chestcrusher said:

That season he beat Montorie Bridges, Schwartz, Cam Sykora, and Devan Turner as well. Not an AA guy, but Bridges was very highly ranked. Also he will have much better partners at Wisconsin with Barnett, Gross, Zargo, etc. 

That is fine and as may be... he will still be going up a weight to a weight that is much more deep than the weight he is coming from - in which he didn't AA this last year.  He did AA two years ago at 125 when we were without Skeletor and the Ivies.

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

That is fine and as may be... he will still be going up a weight to a weight that is much more deep than the weight he is coming from - in which he didn't AA this last year.  He did AA two years ago at 125 when we were without Skeletor and the Ivies.

Agreed on the deeper weight class, and don't by any means think that he is a lock to AA. I was just pointing out that he has had very good wins as well. Would it surprise you if he beat Devan Turner again(who he beat at 133)? Turner AAd this season. What about Byrd or Cannon?

55 minutes ago, chestcrusher said:

Agreed on the deeper weight class, and don't by any means think that he is a lock to AA. I was just pointing out that he has had very good wins as well. Would it surprise you if he beat Devan Turner again(who he beat at 133)? Turner AAd this season. What about Byrd or Cannon?

It would surprise me if he beat Byrd, who I think very highly of.

2 hours ago, chestcrusher said:

I don't think he beats any of who you mentioned.  I also think Ragusin and Foley should be favored over him.

Turner should especially be favored.  Year 2 under Pendleton should yield some damn good results.

11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I don't think he beats any of who you mentioned.  I also think Ragusin and Foley should be favored over him.

Turner should especially be favored.  Year 2 under Pendleton should yield some damn good results.

Turner is out of eligibility, no? He's wrestled at the Pac-12 tourney 5 times. Also wouldn't this be year 3 under Pendleton coming up? 

1 hour ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

Turner is out of eligibility, no? He's wrestled at the Pac-12 tourney 5 times. Also wouldn't this be year 3 under Pendleton coming up? 

Turner is done. 

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

They did... 4AA.... now It's year 3. 

Edited by Idaho

20 hours ago, flyingcement said:

B1G Rankings according to me by weight:

125:

1 - Spencer Lee
2 - Patrick McKee
3 - Michael DeAugustino
4 - Eric Barnett
5 - Matt Ramos
6 - Dylan Shawver
7 - Malik Heinselman
8 - Robbie Howard
9 - Justin Cardani
10 - Jack Medley
11 - Braxton Brown
12 - Liam Cronin
13 - Taylor Lujan
14 - Jacob Moran

1 - Roman Bravo-Young
2 - Lucas Byrd
3 - Dylan Ragusin
4 - Chris Cannon
5 - Taylor Lamont
6 - Rayvon Foley
7 - Joe Heilmann
8 - Cullan Schriever
9 - Andre Gonzales
10 - Jake Gliva
11 - Boo Dryden
12 - King Sandoval
13 - Dustin Norris
14 - Danny Tolin

Doubt it's Andre Gonzales even though he's had a good post-season. Either Bouzakis or Mendez. Ryan basically said so in an interview after the season.

55 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Turner is done. 

1 hour ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

See Idaho's response.  I plead ignorance to it and was just responding to a previous post.

53 minutes ago, Idaho said:

They did... 4AA.... now It's year 3. 

I was right, I guess.  Whiffed on the two year thing.  As a team I expect improvement as depth builds with his own recruits, but peak right now may be a tad bit less on individual peak.  141lb Willits is a contender, though.

On 5/25/2022 at 9:43 AM, lurk_nowitzki said:

I wonder if there's a possibility of Barnett redshirting? Heal up a bit then return for a title run after spencer graduates

Barnett has 2 years left. No need to redshirt. 

27 minutes ago, mgrimm said:

Barnett has 2 years left. No need to redshirt. 

Barnett could redshirt this coming year, let Lamont wrestle, then have the 2023-24 and 2024-25 seasons.

17 hours ago, OR said:

Barnett could redshirt this coming year, let Lamont wrestle, then have the 2023-24 and 2024-25 seasons.

A redshirt is for a student-athlete who's (a) physically or academically unprepared for the transition to college, (b) injured, or (c) training to make an Olympic team.

Barnett is a two-time All-American, and was an Academic AA this year. There are no Olympics in 2023. Is he already injured to the point of not being able to compete next year?

5 hours ago, SignificantACCBias said:

A redshirt is for a student-athlete who's (a) physically or academically unprepared for the transition to college, (b) injured, or (c) training to make an Olympic team.

Barnett is a two-time All-American, and was an Academic AA this year. There are no Olympics in 2023. Is he already injured to the point of not being able to compete next year?

A redshirt may 'be' for those that you mentioned, but any athlete is eligible to take a regular one when they want.  That is how it is and there is no reason to say otherwise.

He (Barnett) would have two years without Lee and possibly two years without Glory there.  That makes him, at least preliminarily/right now, a contender those two years.

Edited by nhs67

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

A redshirt may 'be' for those that you mentioned, but any athlete is eligible to take a regular one when they want.  That is how it is and there is no reason to say otherwise.

He (Barnett) would have two years without Lee and possibly two years without Glory there.  That makes him, at least preliminarily/right now, a contender those two years.

Yep.... He can take it when he wants... I wrestled my true freshman year then redshirted the next 4. 

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I'm just saying, lineup redshirts, or "duck Lee/Glory" redshirts, are gaming a system designed to provide more opportunities for those who don't develop into stars right away like Eric Barnett did, or who have unfortunate season-ending injuries.

It'll keep happening, and of course it's not the end of the world, but I think it deserves to be mentioned. Personally I find it very unlikely that EB redshirts. Every school on Taylor LaMont's list needed a 133, not a 125, so that seems like where he wants to be.

Any updates on some of the big names still left in the portal?  

Matt Finesilver, Tate Samuelson, Yaraslau Slavikouski, Kennedy Monday, etc?

3 hours ago, SignificantACCBias said:

I'm just saying, lineup redshirts, or "duck Lee/Glory" redshirts, are gaming a system designed to provide more opportunities for those who don't develop into stars right away like Eric Barnett did, or who have unfortunate season-ending injuries.

It'll keep happening, and of course it's not the end of the world, but I think it deserves to be mentioned. Personally I find it very unlikely that EB redshirts. Every school on Taylor LaMont's list needed a 133, not a 125, so that seems like where he wants to be.

I mean... Barnett redshirts and Wiscy also needs a 125 right?

On 5/25/2022 at 3:11 PM, DocBZ said:

Doubt it's Andre Gonzales even though he's had a good post-season. Either Bouzakis or Mendez. Ryan basically said so in an interview after the season.

Knowing Tom Ryan’s history, there is a TREMENDOUS chance this season starts out this way with Gonzalez manning 133 and both Mendez and Bouzakis doing the Open thing to guage their readiness and where the team sits come first of the year. They have done the exact same thing with almost every top wrestler they have had , minus a few,  like Kyle Snyder etc..

4 hours ago, Aviator12 said:

Knowing Tom Ryan’s history, there is a TREMENDOUS chance this season starts out this way with Gonzalez manning 133 and both Mendez and Bouzakis doing the Open thing to guage their readiness and where the team sits come first of the year. They have done the exact same thing with almost every top wrestler they have had , minus a few,  like Kyle Snyder etc..

It's a shame they both appear to be 133lbers out the gate.  Swiderski intends to be 141lbs and he was considerably larger.

On 5/25/2022 at 1:40 PM, flyingcement said:

Kennedy Monday announced this match against Dellavecchia perhaps as a way to boost his transfer portal status?

I’m pretty sure if he gets paid to compete, he can’t go back to college wrestling 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

I’m pretty sure if he gets paid to compete, he can’t go back to college wrestling 

I think you are correct, but he may not be getting paid and I’d probably guess he isn’t

38 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I think you are correct, but he may not be getting paid and I’d probably guess he isn’t

I'm guessing he is getting paid for his NIL on the promotional material.. if there is a "rule" he can't get paid for wrestling technically...there is also an end around to make up for it on the promotional/streaming aspect. I don't see how they don't get paid for this.