Antitroll2828

Off-season transfer Portal

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Hard to say he has regressed when he just hasn't been given time in the lineup.

True. But times he did wrestle he hasn't impressed.  Example in 2020 he beat Cael Carlson by TF 18-3 and a year later lost by TF 17-2.  Even this year he went to two open tournaments and went 4-5 against 1 kid from Mizzou and some JUCO and D2 opponents. He went 16-2 his first year against similar competition.  

1 hour ago, aknipp said:

True. But times he did wrestle he hasn't impressed.  Example in 2020 he beat Cael Carlson by TF 18-3 and a year later lost by TF 17-2.  Even this year he went to two open tournaments and went 4-5 against 1 kid from Mizzou and some JUCO and D2 opponents. He went 16-2 his first year against similar competition.  

I get bashed on this all the time, but tOSU has not really been developing wrestlers.  They stay the same (already high achievers) or they regress.  I have nary seen a kid get coached up there.  So maybe it is a good idea for Rocky to go elsewhere, maybe he gets coached up.  I am a big fan of tOSU, so not bashing from outside, just voicing my frustration as a fan. 

Edited by jeffrideal

1 hour ago, aknipp said:

He went 4-2 on the year, not 4-5.  He had one legit loss then got stuck while ahead against a legit NAIA Grandview kid.

13 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

I get bashed on this all the time, but tOSU has not really been developing wrestlers.  They stay the same (already high achievers) or they regress.  I have nary seen a kid get coached up there.  So maybe it is a good idea for Rocky to go elsewhere, maybe he gets coached up.  I am a big fan of tOSU, so not bashing from outside, just voicing my frustration as a fan. 

I think that post was regarding Kevon Davenport?

It's possible I, "bashed"  : )  but I do understand the frustration.  Moore comes to mind as someone who got, "coached up."  But I hear what you're saying. I hope Rocky gets to wrestle and AA's somewhere. He's been a fine Buckeye.

OSU finishes for the last five years. Here's where I get bashed...

2022 - 13th
2021 - 9th
2020 - no tournament, OSU ranked 6th in final poll. Top 3 projected finish.(by me)
2019 - 2nd
2018 - 2nd
2017 - 2nd

55 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

Smith and Romero have both improved, Gavin Hoffman isn’t the same as he way 4 years ago. 

Dylan D is another one who is excelling from what he was in high school, he really did get a terrible draw at NCAA’s 

now granted there are kids like Decatur and Echemendia and Rocky doesn’t express desire to get up from bottom. 

however I can see why you get bashed. 

13 minutes ago, Riz23 said:

Smith and Romero have both improved, Gavin Hoffman isn’t the same as he way 4 years ago. 

Dylan D is another one who is excelling from what he was in high school, he really did get a terrible draw at NCAA’s 

now granted there are kids like Decatur and Echemendia and Rocky doesn’t express desire to get up from bottom. 

however I can see why you get bashed. 

Romero was 28 on the big board and was # 4 guy in country at 160 lbs out of HS.

Ethan Smith was 53rd on the big board

Gavin Hoffman was ranked 10th or 11th I believe.

Dylan D, was ranked 7th at his weight. 

And it isn't just those three that can't get out of the bottom.  It is  an endemic at tOSU. 

I hope things change with this new group coming in

22 hours ago, Idaho said:

I thought you were pretty excited on the potential of Fagan. What changed?   

Excited to have him over what was a black hole this past year. Has potential. I think he can be a top 30 guy right away. Also hasn’t wrestled in college in 2 years. But to rise up the podium, you need better. 

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

He went 4-2 on the year, not 4-5.  He had one legit loss then got stuck while ahead against a legit NAIA Grandview kid.

My bad. I didn't realize how many MFFT he had at one of the tournaments. 

1 hour ago, jeffrideal said:

And it isn't just those three that can't get out of the bottom.  It is  an endemic at tOSU. 

You always have to keep in mind that when a guy comes out ranked 4th in his class at his weight...he is competing against 4-5 other classes of kids all at once in the NCAA. So a guy coming out  as the 4th ranked 126lber in the senior class is great...but there are 5 other classes of guys. As a senior  you would think that you should be up there in the hunt for high AA, but as we have seen there are always young guys coming behind you that are tough. 

4 hours ago, jeffrideal said:

The good news is they don’t even have to improve. Feldman and Mendez would have AA’d as high schoolers. Nic is right there too.  Heck they could regress at tOSU and still AA.

Doesnt matter if you can’t coach if you can recruit that well.

4 hours ago, BAC said:

The good news is they don’t even have to improve. Feldman and Mendez would have AA’d as high schoolers. Nic is right there too.  Heck they could regress at tOSU and still AA.

Doesnt matter if you can’t coach if you can recruit that well.

I don’t think Mendez would’ve AA’d this year but I get your point. 

10 hours ago, jeffrideal said:

In Romero's case he was a three sport star athlete that only wrestled 'in-season.' Four months and done. No freestyle. No Summer wrestling. No early-season tournaments. He didn't become a full time wrestler until he went to OSU.

6 hours ago, BAC said:

Feldman and Mendez would have AA’d as high schoolers... Heck they could regress at tOSU and still AA.

I don't see it, but I hear ya and when they start, I hope they all AA.

9 hours ago, Joe1288 said:

If so, Bartlett then redshirt and Van Ness goes 149.

Woods supposedly has 2 years left so either Bartlett or Van Ness would be on the bench for a year. 

Woods has two years left and if I remember correctly, when they dropped the program some of those guys were trying to finish their degrees early so that they could still wrestle.I am guessing that Woods is graduating??? Is Griffith also graduating?  

Woods looked pretty good at NCAA's. Would he consider continuing at Stanford as a post-grad?  Some data suggesting they have quality graduate school programs.   

At PSU, I am not sure he wins the spot at 141 or 149, but possibly.  Maybe RBY bumps to 141 and SVN wins the spot at 149, with BB redshirting?  Woods might win a spot, but the room will have some good competition any way you slice it.   

On 3/26/2022 at 2:30 PM, BLT said:

I Hilger looked less than enthusiastic at times this year.

I don't know...it doesn't seem like it from what I've heard or seen, though I don't pretend to be an insider.  The B1G was just so loaded at HWT and he was giving up quite a bit of weight to most of them. So maybe he was a bit less active on the leg attacks, but I don't know that I thought he lacked enthusiasm. He did finish the season poorly. Lost to Fernandes after he'd beaten him. Went from majoring Luffman from Illinois to losing 6-0 to him. Could be he wasn't right at the end of the year? I really don't know.

He's still handling Amos with very little trouble, so I think it's unlikely we see Amos jump up(as some have speculated).

I also know Rowley PLANS on Wrestling '84, so Jordan may not even be a good fit, but Bono has done pretty well when dipping into the transfer portal.

13 hours ago, Elevator said:

Woods looked pretty good at NCAA's. Would he consider continuing at Stanford as a post-grad?  Some data suggesting they have quality graduate school programs.   

At PSU, I am not sure he wins the spot at 141 or 149, but possibly.  Maybe RBY bumps to 141 and SVN wins the spot at 149, with BB redshirting?  Woods might win a spot, but the room will have some good competition any way you slice it.   

It's sometimes difficult to read sarcasm on these boards...so I'm just gonna assume the "some data suggesting they(Stanford) have quality graduate school programs," was you making a bit of a joke...as was the suggestion that Woods wouldn't be able to crack PSUs lineup.

Lost 3-2 to Lee in the Semis, then lost 3-2 to SeeBass in the Consolation Semis. And you think he'd have a problem cracking Penn State's lineup?

Woods is a stud. A NC contender. I'm thinking it's a safe bet if he were to transfer to Penn State, RBY wouldn't bump up to 141 for some reason and if that was on the table, I'm sure Woods would take it into consideration as he'd likely prefer not to bump up to 149, but REAL unlikely it'd be because a Freshmen blocks him.