Jump to content
Antitroll2828

Off-season transfer Portal

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, flyingcement said:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/72134/liardi-chase/profile

 

Chase Liardi from Ohio State to Hofstra

nice pickup for Hoftra, they need to keep local kids like this home.  Imagine if Hofstra kept the local kids and had Teemer, Jordan Titus, Liardi, add some upstate kids like SteveO ect into the lineup and they would actually be competitive again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cowboy08 said:

UPenn is really building something, Beard going there would be huge for them

I was thinking of placesthat have some combination of the following:

1) Competitive D1 program

2) Opening (relatively speaking) at 197

3) Strong RTC program locally

4) Close to home (he went to Malvern Prep for high school which is a 45 minute drive away from University City).  I'm not actually sure if this is a factor for him

5) Good academics (I'm not sure to what extent he is thinking about this, but he could get into Northwestern, which makes me think he could have a chance at getting into Penn)

 

All of the above five points would put Penn in a positive position.  Chatter I heard elsewhere also mentioned Drexel, Lehigh and Arizona State.

Edited by flyingcement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Henry said:

Why now for Beard? Why not last year? Why not immediately after this past season?

My guess is that Beard was confident he could beat out Dean for the spot. Rumors are that they are really close. With Dean winning a national championship it doesn’t matter if he can beat him in the room or not. Nobody is benching a returning national champ. He has no path to a starting spot in 2022/2023 without an injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StallWarning said:

My guess is that Beard was confident he could beat out Dean for the spot. Rumors are that they are really close. With Dean winning a national championship it doesn’t matter if he can beat him in the room or not. Nobody is benching a returning national champ. He has no path to a starting spot in 2022/2023 without an injury. 

There is a difference between practice room close and similar results against common opponents. I suspect the familiarity from the room made it close, but that they are not really close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beard isn't going to Penn.  Two reasons.

- Cole Urbas

- Mark Hall

Cole Urbas is good and has 2 years left.  He has also been a big part of the RTCs.  Beard is better, but it would leave Urbas high and dry.  He isn't dropping to 184.  Too long.  He isn't goinf HWT.  Too skinny, and on top of that they have a decent guy there already - who Beard would also likely beat.

I don't think Marky Mark is going to, or is willing to pull wrestlers away from Father Cael.  I think he wants to leave that bridge fully built and well fortified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completed Transfers

125

Stevo Poulin: Northern Colorado from NC State

Will Betancourt: Penn State from Ohio State

133

Joe Heilmann: Rutgers from North Carolina

Chase Liardi: Hofstra from Ohio State

Andrew Fallon: Sacred Heart from American

141

Real Woods: Iowa from Stanford

Sam Hillegas: West Virginia from Virginia Tech

149

Zach Price: Gardner Webb from South Dakota State

Luke Kemerer: Edinboro from Pittsburgh

157

Avery Bassett: Lock Haven from George Mason

165

None

174

Andrew Berreyesa: Northern Colorado from Cornell

184

None

197

None

285

None

Best Remaining

125

Taylor Lamont: Utah Valley

133

None

141

Wyatt Henson: Iowa

149

Dom Demas: Oklahoma

157

None

165

Drew Nicholson: Chattanooga

174

Matt Finesilver: Duke

Gerrit Nijenhuis: Purdue

Jaden Fisher: Bucknell

DJ Shannon: Illinois

184

Anthony Montalvo: Oklahoma State

Rocky Jordan: Ohio State

Tate Samuelson: Wyoming

197

Michael Beard: Penn State

Jacob Ferreira: North Carolina State

285

Yaraslau Slavikouski: Harvard

Edited by flyingcement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Beard isn't going to Penn.  Two reasons.

- Cole Urbas

- Mark Hall

Cole Urbas is good and has 2 years left.  He has also been a big part of the RTCs.  Beard is better, but it would leave Urbas high and dry.  He isn't dropping to 184.  Too long.  He isn't goinf HWT.  Too skinny, and on top of that they have a decent guy there already - who Beard would also likely beat.

I don't think Marky Mark is going to, or is willing to pull wrestlers away from Father Cael.  I think he wants to leave that bridge fully built and well fortified.

Michigan has to be in the running. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lamont already has one graduate degree so I guess he'd be looking to go for masters number two here.  He got his masters in family and marriage therapy I believe.  Not sure what his priorities are.  SDSU was one place nearby(ish) that came to mind 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2022 at 8:56 AM, lurk_nowitzki said:

Hemauer is going into his 6th year of college with nearly 100 matches and only has ever wrestled 1 open tournament at 165. I'd say moving up to 184 where he qualified for ncaa's in 2019 is way more likely than going back to 165, which looks like it was a failed experiment.

 

Yeah, that's fantastical. He can't Wrestle 165. MAYBE back in the day he could Wrestle 167 with more time and all that, but no way is he holding 165 for a year. '84 is his best weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scourge197 said:

Yeah, that's fantastical. He can't Wrestle 165. MAYBE back in the day he could Wrestle 167 with more time and all that, but no way is he holding 165 for a year. '84 is his best weight.

While @lurk_nowitzkiis likely correct, in that 165 may be out of range, I am curious what your definition of 'fantastical' as well as the use of the 'back in the day' terminology used?  You understand he did wrestle 165 to start the season this past season, correct?  If that is an acceptable use of the term, then thank you: I did not know that.  I familiar with the history of the usage of the term by humans - in regards to literature, however I am ignorant as to what the actual time frame to be able to use it is and I am open to being educated on the matter.

If you were unawares that he had pulled to 165 this last season and your usage was not properly placed, in your opinion, then I am going to go out on a limb and say that while this take isn't nearly as bad as the 'Ethan Smith hasn't improved since arriving in CBus take' I am going to say that it is still pretty bad.  Not Minnow or PD2 bad, but still somewhere in between those two and the Smith take seems a sufficient range to define it's badness level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, StallWarning said:

My guess is that Beard was confident he could beat out Dean for the spot. Rumors are that they are really close. With Dean winning a national championship it doesn’t matter if he can beat him in the room or not. Nobody is benching a returning national champ. He has no path to a starting spot in 2022/2023 without an injury. 

I think the bigger question is why didn’t he do it closer to the end of the season at least.  But I guess doesn’t matter at this point…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Lamont already has one graduate degree so I guess he'd be looking to go for masters number two here.  He got his masters in family and marriage therapy I believe.  Not sure what his priorities are.  SDSU was one place nearby(ish) that came to mind 

To me if Lamont is graduated and leaving it tells me he is heading somewhere to wrestle in a bigger spotlight and on a more prolific team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Beard isn't going to Penn.  Two reasons.

- Cole Urbas

- Mark Hall

Cole Urbas is good and has 2 years left.  He has also been a big part of the RTCs.  Beard is better, but it would leave Urbas high and dry.  He isn't dropping to 184.  Too long.  He isn't goinf HWT.  Too skinny, and on top of that they have a decent guy there already - who Beard would also likely beat.

I don't think Marky Mark is going to, or is willing to pull wrestlers away from Father Cael.  I think he wants to leave that bridge fully built and well fortified.

Guessing, but since Beard reportedly has 3 years of eligibility and may be at or close to graduating, I assume the Ivies are out as Beard is likely to intend to use eligibility as a graduate student.  Ivies do not allow grad students to compete.  I know nothing about his academic status, but he has been on campus for a few years from what I recall and probably is close to an undergraduate degree. 

I doubt that Cael would hold any kind of grudge as to where Beard might land - does not seem like him.  Do not see this as Beard being "pulled away" by anyone but instead as Beard trying to find a good fit for academics and further NCAA eligibility in a competitive training environment and team to improve on his AA finish (and try to beat Dean next year).  If Beard is smart enough, maybe Stanford, Northwestern, or Duke?  Good schools w good graduate programs and wrestling pretty good!  Just a guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

While @lurk_nowitzkiis likely correct, in that 165 may be out of range, I am curious what your definition of 'fantastical' as well as the use of the 'back in the day' terminology used?  You understand he did wrestle 165 to start the season this past season, correct?  If that is an acceptable use of the term, then thank you: I did not know that.  I familiar with the history of the usage of the term by humans - in regards to literature, however I am ignorant as to what the actual time frame to be able to use it is and I am open to being educated on the matter.

If you were unawares that he had pulled to 165 this last season and your usage was not properly placed, in your opinion, then I am going to go out on a limb and say that while this take isn't nearly as bad as the 'Ethan Smith hasn't improved since arriving in CBus take' I am going to say that it is still pretty bad.  Not Minnow or PD2 bad, but still somewhere in between those two and the Smith take seems a sufficient range to define it's badness level.

My definition of fantastical? THEE definition. Foolish, irrational, highly unrealistic, impractical,extreme, exorbitant. I was aiming for a more polite way to dismiss it, but subtly doesn't seem to be working here.

As far as what I meant by "back in the day," by the context, and the fact that I said 167, with more time("and all that") I was ASSUMING you had a better understanding of the history of the sport. Obviously I gave you too much credit.

Let me explain...before they changed the weights in College Wrestling, Wrestlers were able to cut much more weight, they had more time to recover after weigh ins...among other rule changes. I was inferring MAYBE(though still unlikely) if you were operating under the old rules where you had sometimes a full day from weigh ins to Wrestling and the weight was 167, then I suppose it MIGHT be PLAUSIBLE(but still...not really). So no...I was not referring to last year, thus the entire premise of your post that last year was "back in the day," is just kinda...pointless. It was a way to articulate just how silly this idea is.

Do you know what Hemauer looks like? He was a 195 and then 182 in HS. He's a long '74 and a pretty big one...probably more suited to 184. He's ~6'2 and walks around in the 190s.

Now...if I WAS unaware that he'd TRIED to make 165, do you think juuust maybe the fact that I replied to a post in which someone pointed out that during his 5 year career, a career during which he's wrestled at 174 and 184, that ONE DAY he made 165, that just miiight have clued me in? So even if you thought BEFORE that I may not have known he'd made 165 ONCE, that right there...again, another context clue.


Not sure why you're seemingly so eager to bring up Ethan Smith's development in "CBus," but if you're looking for a bad take and weighing it against others, I'd start with yours and the idea that Hemauer is going to make 165 through an entire year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...