Scorenomore

Michigan lost NCAA title when it didn't land Dean

Now that the dust has settled on the NCAA tournament, I got to thinking about Max Dean transferring to Penn State and being from Michigan.  Penn State won by 36.5 points, if Max had gone to Big Blue, Michigan would have likely won.  What was the story there, were they in contention and did they overplay their hand?

Brucki scored 1.5 points, no way Beard puts up major points.  Beard would have had to score more than 5.5 points for Penn St to win.  Certainly possible, but I think Michigan would have won.  I attribute the close wrestle off due to familiarity, I don't think Beard's body of work this season would have suggested more points.  He lost to Shultz from Nebraska who placed 7th.

Edited by Scorenomore
loss

35 minutes ago, Scorenomore said:

Now that the dust has settled on the NCAA tournament, I got to thinking about Max Dean transferring to Penn State and being from Michigan.  Penn State won by 36.5 points, if Max had gone to Big Blue, Michigan would have likely won.  What was the story there, were they in contention and did they overplay their hand?

Michigan, like Cornell and unlike Penn State, required vaccination.  Max wasn't gonna go there.

Brucki didn’t have a good NCAA tournament, but he should’ve beaten Dean during the season.  Just speaks to the parity at 197.

And even if Dean went to Michigan and won, Beard probably scores more than 5.5.  He scored in 9.5 in 2021.  But considering what school he goes to he might’ve won the whole thing.

Edited by 1032004

Brucki scored 1.5 points, no way Beard puts up major points.  Beard would have had to score more than 5.5 points for Penn St to win.  Certainly possible, but I think Michigan would have won.  I attribute the close wrestle off due to familiarity, I don't think Beard's body of work this season would have suggested more points.  He lost to Shultz from Nebraska who placed 7th.

Per PSU wrestlers (Brooks), Beard hadn’t wrestled live in practice for several weeks before that match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a larger gap between Suriano and Hildebrandt, than the gaps between Brucki, Beard, and Dean.  The biggest difference with Dean might be gas tank and poise - both of which are extraordinary.  If Dean had stayed at Cornell, might be he won the spot at 184 and might be that both Brucki and Beard were AA's.  

Beard probably would have been somewhere in the 5th - 8th range, possible blood round casualty depending on draw. 

An even bigger problem for Michigan was that they got 6.5 points out of Micic and Ragusin.  With Dean @ PSU, there was never a world where they could win the title with that little production from those two.  With hindsight, maybe they go with Micic at 133 and try to cobble something together at 141.  On top of that, Parris's injury probably cost them another 8 points.  He just wasn't the same guy.  

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Brucki didn’t have a good NCAA tournament, but he should’ve beaten Dean during the season.  Just speaks to the parity at 197.

And even if Dean went to Michigan and won, Beard probably scores more than 5.5.  He scored in 9.5 in 2021.  But considering what school he goes to he might’ve won the whole thing.

Theres a lot of guys who "should have" beat Dean, but didnt. 

3 hours ago, klehner said:

Michigan, like Cornell and unlike Penn State, required vaccination.  Max wasn't gonna go there.

It's comical that you still believe THAT was the reason the Deans split from Spartan RTC.

I have decided to take 4 championship wrestlers off the 1997 iowa team and give them to the second place team.   There, I feel better now.

Edited by Joe1288

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Beard probably would have been somewhere in the 5th - 8th range, possible blood round casualty depending on draw. 

Last year Beard beat 2 of this years semi finalists , one being Buchanan the guy who took 3rd , he also won atleast one wrestle off with Dean this year , he’s probably top 3 if he’s the starter this year 

36 minutes ago, DanGerMan said:

It's comical that you still believe THAT was the reason the Deans split from Spartan RTC.

I just took Gabe Dean's explicit discontent with the COVID policies at Cornell at face value.

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Last year Beard beat 2 of this years semi finalists , one being Buchanan the guy who took 3rd , he also won atleast one wrestle off with Dean this year , he’s probably top 3 if he’s the starter this year 

Except that he didn’t have a good season this year and lost to number 7 at NCAAs. 

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Sure, and last year he also lost to Cam Caffey and Jake Woodley, neither of which AA'd.  Does that mean he wouldn't place either?  It's an equally valid argument to the one you're making.  

6 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

So you want to assume that Dean still wins the title and earns the same amount of points if he were at Michigan...but  you don't want to assume the Beard would score the same amount of points he did the year before? Basically you have created a best case scenario for your argument rather than an equal scenario for the situation. 

47 minutes ago, Scorenomore said:

Except that he didn’t have a good season this year and lost to number 7 at NCAAs. 

Wasn’t that the match where Schultz only won due to stalling points?  Not to mention Beard wasn’t even the full time starter so wasn’t getting many matches at all, although it looks like his only other loss was by injury default.

If we want to play this game, Penn State should have had Evan Wick for this year. He was worth at least 15, maybe more under Cael. He was committed and planned out where he was going to live basically. Then some PSU academic didn't think he was worth of getting a degree in his department while Cal Poly (a more selective school) had no issues with it. 

2 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

except that Schultz was the 3 seed. except that Beard also beat Caffey. except that Kizhan was 0-2 at at ACC's and the 15 seed and made finals.

you can't take 1 match from the season and say 'Beard definitely wouldn't have AA'd'

Just now, Husker_Du said:

except that Schultz was the 3 seed. except that Beard also beat Caffey. except that Kizhan was 0-2 at at ACC's and the 15 seed and made finals.

you can't take 1 match from the season and say 'Beard definitely wouldn't have AA'd'