southend

Favorite wrestling events other than D1 championship

I always enjoy the Big Ten tournament. But my favorite was the southern scuffle held in Greensboro. Lots of memories. Chattanooga event isn’t too shabby. Also the long days at Midlands. Seemed like  sessions would never get done for the  day. Lots of entries. 

I’ve got five that I cite annually as my favorites. D1 is obviously on that list - the remaining four are:

D3 Championships

Fargo

Virginia Duals

Senior World Championships

The Olympics (obviously) aren’t an annual event, but hold their own unique spot.

11 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

I’ve got five that I cite annually as my favorites. D1 is obviously on that list - the remaining four are:

D3 Championships

Fargo

Virginia Duals

The Olympics (obviously) aren’t an annual event, but hold their own unique spot.

The DIII tournament can get pretty wild. Just 18 in each weight, and only 8 are seeded, so there are more upsets. 7 of the top 4 seeds lost in the first round this year (zero DI top 4 seeds lost in the first round). The #1 seed at heavyweight went 0-2, and his team finished in 2nd place by 1 point.

30 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

The World Cup of Wrestling when it was in Toledo...(17 times)

We did a few of those in the early eighties. Always a blast. I still have my pin collection from those years. I can remember trying to trade Levi's for those badass baby blue Adidas wrestling shoes. It didn't occur to me at the time that grown men couldn't wear a twelve yr old's Levi's. LOL. The Levi's were a hot commodity though.

Good memory @fadzaev2.

If we're going historical, when I was younger Ironman felt like the center of the universe. 

In its heyday I think it pretty much was. At least as far as high school wrestling is concerned.  Feels like it's fallen off a bit in recent years, but maybe that's just me being out of touch with that level.  

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Feels like it's fallen off a bit in recent years, but maybe that's just me being out of touch with that level.  

Just looking at the rankings of the finalist, I would say that it's still a pretty good tourney.

106: #2 Beric Jordan (Graham) over #7 Nate Desmond (Bethlehem Catholic) (SV-1 6-4)

113: #8 Marcus Blaze (Perrysburg) over #2 Luke Lilledahl (Wyoming Seminary) (TB-1 3-2)

120: #2 Mark-Anthony McGowan (Blair Academy) over #8 Ben Davino (St. Charles East) (Dec 5-2)

126: #5 Vincent Robinson (Homewood-Flossmoor ) over #4 Kannon Webster (Washington Community) (Dec 5-3)

132: #2 Nasir Bailey (Rich Township) over #10 Mac Church (Waynesburg Central) (Fall 6:28)

138: #8 Tyler Kasak (Bethlehem Catholic) over #4 PJ Duke (Minisink Valley) 4-1 (Inj. 4:00)

144: LaDarion Lockett (Stillwater) over Kyle Dutton (Liberty) (Dec 6-4)

150: #4 Daniel Cardenas (Pomona) over #5 Richard Fedalen (McDonogh School) (MD 10-1)

157: #7 Angelo Ferrari (Stillwater) over #17 Logan Ours (Beaver Local) (TB-1 6-5)

165: #3 Rocco Welsh (Waynesburg Central) over Lorenzo Norman (Blair Academy) (Dec 1-0)

175: #11 Brody Conley (Tiffin Columbian) over #5 James Rowley (Crescent Valley) (Dec 4-2)

190: #1 Dylan Fishback (Aurora) over #4 Rylan Rogers (Coeur D'Alene) (Dec 3-1)

215: #2 TJ Stewart (Blair Academy) over #9 Logan Shephard (Massillon Perry) (Dec 7-3)

285: #1 Nicholas Feldman (Malvern Prep) over #6 Kolby Franklin (Wyoming Seminary) (MD 15-6)

4 hours ago, Mphillips said:

We did a few of those in the early eighties. Always a blast. I still have my pin collection from those years. I can remember trying to trade Levi's for those badass baby blue Adidas wrestling shoes. It didn't occur to me at the time that grown men couldn't wear a twelve yr old's Levi's. LOL. The Levi's were a hot commodity though.

Good memory @fadzaev2.

These are my favorites...not for sale!!!                                                       1305704554_russianshoes.jpg.db0b7e26aae4a9de6942bccb09df2a71.jpg

23 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

D3 Championships

Fargo

Virginia Duals

Agree on Olympics trials, very cool and worth traveling to see. The one in Indianapolis was special for me as Roulon Gardener went on and got the gold. I sat right  behind Dan Gable the whole qualifications.