TBar1977

Dalton Perry Commits to Penn State

9th Grader from Central Mountain (same school as Altons, near State College) and PIAA Class AAA State Champ at 126 commits to Penn State.

M2 trained. Near term goals are to make cadet world team and win in 2022. 

14 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

9th Grader from Central Mountain (same school as Altons, near State College) and PIAA Class AAA State Champ at 126 commits to Penn State.

How does one "commit" as a 9th grader?  MSU had something similar happen in Basketball and by the time he was old enough to actually commit, he ended up going to Memphis.  There is a LONG time between 9th and 12th grade.  Just ask Thomas Haines how fast things change!

11 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

How does one "commit" as a 9th grader?  MSU had something similar happen in Basketball and by the time he was old enough to actually commit, he ended up going to Memphis.  There is a LONG time between 9th and 12th grade.  Just ask Thomas Haines how fast things change!

Good to know. Thank you for that informative take. 

15 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Good to know. Thank you for that informative take. 

Just saying, this isn't even a PSU thing.  It's a life thing.  My daughter announced she likes the color purple the best for her nails.  This weekend was our first "daddy-daughter dance".  She is 7.  How many times do you think that could change by the time she is 11?  So many things can happen between now and then that a 9th grader "committing" to any sport has to be taken with a grain of salt.  

Hell, even if he does hold to PSU by NLI time, how many kids will Sanderson have recruited for his weight by then and what scholarship money, if any at all will be there?

3 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Just saying, this isn't even a PSU thing.  It's a life thing.  My daughter announced she likes the color purple the best for her nails.  This weekend was our first "daddy-daughter dance".  She is 7.  How many times do you think that could change by the time she is 11?  So many things can happen between now and then that a 9th grader "committing" to any sport has to be taken with a grain of salt.  

Hell, even if he does hold to PSU by NLI time, how many kids will Sanderson have recruited for his weight by then and what scholarship money, if any at all will be there?

I used to prefer high socks. Now I prefer low socks. In the future I might go without socks. You just never know. 

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I used to prefer high socks. Now I prefer low socks. In the future I might go without socks. You just never know. 

Yep and that is about as close as it gets to how easy a 9th grader could change their mind over the course of 3 years...

30 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Good to know. Thanks much. 

You are very welcome.  Regardless of how you think I feel about PSU, I don't think you are irredeemable.  I will do my best to help you, even if it doesn't feel that way to you!

3 hours ago, MSU158 said:

You are very welcome.  Regardless of how you think I feel about PSU, I don't think you are irredeemable.  I will do my best to help you, even if it doesn't feel that way to you!

No, I really do believe you think you are a great help to me in pointing out that young people are inclined to change their minds. Me, a father, never thought of that. That never once occurred to me. 

Edited by TBar1977

22 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

No, I really do believe you think you are a great help to me ny pointing out that young people are inclined to change their minds. Me a father never thought of that. 

I know you can't think of everything.  That is why I am here for you when you need me.  No need to thank me.  It is just the kind of guy I am.  Have a great day!

4 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

I know you can't think of everything.  That is why I am here for you when you need me.  No need to thank me.  It is just the kind of guy I am.  Have a great day!

Gratefully leaving you with the final word.

20 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

TBar,

Have you seen him wrestle in person?  On YT he almost looks like he has some baby fat on him, which is scary for his future opposition as he matures.  I have to get to Mill Hall next year and watch him.  BTW, The Ice Shack in Mill Hall is open, whoowee.

23 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

TBar,

Have you seen him wrestle in person?  On YT he almost looks like he has some baby fat on him, which is scary for his future opposition as he matures.  I have to get to Mill Hall next year and watch him.  BTW, The Ice Shack in Mill Hall is open, whoowee.

You been to Mill Hall? I'll be dog gone. 

Perry has some strong credentials even as a 9th grader and more power to him building his brand.  We all know the kind of work and dedication it takes to achieve at the levels (both already earned (PIAA AAA Champ) and aspirational (cadet world team success).  

It is notable that Penn State has partnered w Altius for NIL to educate its coaches and athletes on NIL and help PUS maximize its brand and comply with legal and NCAA requirements.  Penn State recognizes that it and its coaches and athletes are stakeholders in the NIL landscape.   David Taylor is part of a related independent collective "Success with Honor" (I assume a non-profit that may have a management fee relationship with Altius?) that will help Penn State and its stakeholders succeed with NIL. 

Competitors like young Mr. Perry are not likely to be a part of workshops and educational programs for NIL until he matriculates and arrives on campus.  But, no reason for him to sit on the sidelines and wait to build his NIL brand.  Of course, NIL opportunities are not the reason why competitors wrestle, but no reason to ignore those opportunities.  His verbal (while not in any way binding on anyone), is an expression of mutual interest and admiration and probably good for the PSU wrestle brand (already pretty good!) and good for Dalton Perry.  What is not to like?  

Edited by Elevator

On 5/25/2022 at 9:55 AM, Threadkilla said:

Adam Busiello verballed to PSU as a 7th grader.

and he did end up going there for at least a year.  good for him.

speaking of Busiello - any chance he transitions  back into D1 at any point?  Maybe LIU or Hofstra to stay close to home?

On 3/28/2022 at 12:42 PM, TBar1977 said:

I suggest you also consider floppy socks. "Pistol" Pete wore the same pair of gray wool socks for every game during his college and pro career.  He believed if he didn't wear them, he'd play his worst game ever.

today I will teach you about socks | welcome to markdvorak.com

In fact, T-Bar, I'm confident that if you wore the same floppy socks every day for the next 7 - 8 years, Cael would surpass Gable's NCAA team titles record.  Then you could gift the socks to MSU 158.  (Don't bother to wash them.)

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2