Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNorth

This just in: Hodge goes to ... Gable!

No doubt he's one of the greatest, but GOAT is up for debate. Even recently Snyder won more NCAA championships, world championships, and the same number of Olympic championships during his collegiate career. That's not even bringing great heavyweights of yesteryear into the conversation.  It's too bad for us fans that Steveson's not going to going to stick around to cement his legacy, but I  can't blame the man for seeking fortunate and fame in the entertainment industry.

Edited by luckysevens

8 hours ago, Rooving said:

he is still the GOAT heavyweight

4 Olympic Medals (2-Gold, 1-Silver, 1-Bronze)

9 World Championship Medals (3-Gold, 3-Silver, 3-Bronze)

4 Pan-American Medals (3-Gold, 1-Silver)

12 World Cup Medals (7-Gold, 5-Silver)

NCAA title (2 Runner-Up finishes)

10 hours ago, luckysevens said:

No doubt he's one of the greatest, but GOAT is up for debate. Even recently Snyder won more NCAA championships, world championships, and the same number of Olympic championships during his collegiate career. That's not even bringing great heavyweights of yesteryear into the conversation.  It's too bad for us fans that Steveson's not going to going to stick around to cement his legacy, but I  can't blame the man for seeking fortunate and fame in the entertainment industry.

Covid sucks.  He has gone the past 3 seasons undefeated, without really even having been tested.  Make no mistake, he would be 3,1,1,1 right now with an Olympic Gold and only 2 losses as a TF as a true Heavyweight.  Now, I wish he were coming back next year because he would then actually have 4 straight undefeated seasons, giving him at least an argument as the GOAT across all weight with his only 2 losses coming that true freshman season.

Make no mistake, he is the most refined 285 at this early age we have ever had in DI.  Snyder was awesome, but he wasn't sniffing International level Gold if he were wrestling Heavyweight.  I get that many want to base the best off longevity(long term results), but that isn't always the most accurate.  At his peak, Gable is as good as any DI Heavyweight when looking at performance in folk and free, while still in school! 

11 hours ago, luckysevens said:

He's either the best or he isn't. Coming back next season to win another title without being seriously challenged wouldn't change that. You can argue whichever side you want, but lack of data isn't an issue here.

9 hours ago, Mphillips said:

4 Olympic Medals (2-Gold, 1-Silver, 1-Bronze)

9 World Championship Medals (3-Gold, 3-Silver, 3-Bronze)

4 Pan-American Medals (3-Gold, 1-Silver)

12 World Cup Medals (7-Gold, 5-Silver)

NCAA title (2 Runner-Up finishes)

Gable is also the only 2 time heavyweight Hodge trophy winner in history. That alone might be more impressive then if he won more titles.

11 hours ago, IronChef said:

He's either the best or he isn't. Coming back next season to win another title without being seriously challenged wouldn't change that. You can argue whichever side you want, but lack of data isn't an issue here.

I was thinking more cementing his legacy internationally. You're right I don't think there are any current college wrestlers that can challenge him.