OBXWrestler

Kennedy Monday Announced his top 4

Just now, ShakaAloha said:

Do you think KM is a fit in that room?  Michigan and ASU are the only two schools that make sense imo.  PSU probably doesn't want him unless he is getting no money and no guarantees of a spot in the lineup.

I think ASU only makes sense if Valencia is going down or up.  If he goes up he pushes Fagen out.  If he goes down he is pushing Norfleet out.  Him wanting to be 174 is just as much, if not more a problem at ASU, imho.  Caek Valencia has a build between his brother's builds, but his frame looks to be larger than both.  I just don't see him (Valencia) at 165.

UofM makes sense in that at 174/184 they have Walker/Bullock.  Both will be RS-FR next season.

One previous post here was that Haines outperformed Facundo due to his Edinboro Open title.  Guess who won 174 and 184 at the Edinboro Open?  Walker and Bullock.

Looking at it, it actually makes more sense to me if he goes to Rutgers over the other three, especially if he holds on to the '174' stance.

At 165, Rutgers and ASU make more sense, although I want Teemer at 165.  If that happens, then once again Rutgers is the only one that makes sense.  In either Rutgers scenarios they would have to utilize redshirts.  I also think that being in the same RTC room as his brother is going to help a lot in selling.

12 minutes ago, CoachWrestling said:

Facundo lost to Caleb Fish and Maryland's 2nd string 165. MARYLAND's second string. Facundo wouldn't have even qualified for NCAA's. How can you actually be making this argument??

I would take true freshman redshirt results with a grain of salt.  I’m not sure Monday beats Facundo. But I’m pretty sure he beats Edsell and both Lees.  

…but doubt he goes to PSU anyway 

Since everyone, myself included, is disinclined to listen, I'll offer my willfully ignorant opinion.

Looks like the Mondays take school seriously.  He is not an elite wrestler, but could definitely have a last hurrah.  He needs excellent academics.  He needs a second tier wrestling school with proven track record of developing individuals.

Hello, NW.

8 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Since everyone, myself included, is disinclined to listen, I'll offer my willfully ignorant opinion.

Looks like the Mondays take school seriously.  He is not an elite wrestler, but could definitely have a last hurrah.  He needs excellent academics.  He needs a second tier wrestling school with proven track record of developing individuals.

Hello, NW.

Wow interesting theory.  If we can't speculate here then where else 

15 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Which combined with their opening at 174 and strong academic reputation, it feels like the highest probability 

Walker won the Edinboro Open at 174 and was on redshirt this season.  The same tournament that Haines is being so highly talked about for winning at 157.  I don't think 174 is a need for UofM.  My opinion.

32 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

From his top four I would estimate the following probability ranges:

Michigan: 35-50%

Arizona State: 20-30%

Rutgers: 20-30%

Penn State: 5-10%

You seem to have gotten it dialed in. Except for maybe one possible wildcard...

I think that a mythical/potential 5th in the "top-5" from the video that he didn't disclose (yes, I actually watched the video) may well be where he ends up.

If Kennedy is a little (but not a lot) better than the incumbent, would a coach even want him. Wouldn't it screw up team chemistry to bring in an outsider with just one year of eligibility?

4 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

Taking Matt Lee over him is one of the worst takes I've ever seen on this site. 

His losses were to Mekhi Lewis (NCAA champ), Wentzel X2 (NCAA finalist), Cameron Amine (All-American ), Peyton Hall (All-American), Bullard (4X NCAA qualifier), and Keating (2-2 at NCAA's). They were basically all close losses. You're out of your mind. 

Correct. I'm as big of a psu fan there is, and I am saying right now Monday is the best 165 in the room if he comes...now SOMEDAY, when Facundo is ready, then yes. But that day ain't coming in 2022/23.

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I think ASU only makes sense if Valencia is going down or up.  If he goes up he pushes Fagen out.  If he goes down he is pushing Norfleet out.  Him wanting to be 174 is just as much, if not more a problem at ASU, imho.  Caek Valencia has a build between his brother's builds, but his frame looks to be larger than both.  I just don't see him (Valencia) at 165.

UofM makes sense in that at 174/184 they have Walker/Bullock.  Both will be RS-FR next season.

One previous post here was that Haines outperformed Facundo due to his Edinboro Open title.  Guess who won 174 and 184 at the Edinboro Open?  Walker and Bullock.

Looking at it, it actually makes more sense to me if he goes to Rutgers over the other three, especially if he holds on to the '174' stance.

At 165, Rutgers and ASU make more sense, although I want Teemer at 165.  If that happens, then once again Rutgers is the only one that makes sense.  In either Rutgers scenarios they would have to utilize redshirts.  I also think that being in the same RTC room as his brother is going to help a lot in selling.

If Norfleet is the starter at 165 next year, ASU is in a lot of trouble. 
I too think Teemer will move to 165. But he doesn’t look like he is there yet. 

9 minutes ago, gobraves101905 said:

If Norfleet is the starter at 165 next year, ASU is in a lot of trouble. 
I too think Teemer will move to 165. But he doesn’t look like he is there yet. 

I think Teemer has a better shot at a title at 157. Getting through OToole, Griffith and Hamiti will be a tough one. 

I think Hamiti and Griffith may move up. 

Otoole vs Jacori would be fun

Ethan Smith has another year, doesn’t he?

Knocking Smith out of the lineup for no real likelihood of improvement in placement and a likely overall loss of team points seems unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Le duke said:

Ethan Smith has another year, doesn’t he?

Knocking Smith out of the lineup for no real likelihood of improvement in placement and a likely overall loss of team points seems unlikely.

Ethan Smith the Ohio State wrestler?

Ethan Smith the Ohio State wrestler?

Yes. I think Smith would be a low AA again next year.

A 3rd or 4th place at 165 and 6/7/8 at 174 is worth more than 4/5/6 at 174 alone, no?

I think Valencia could go 165. If that happens then it is good for the whole lineup. Monday is a much better option than what they had at 174 this year. Then the rest of the lineup gets strengthened regardless of whether Norfleet moves down to 184 or not. 

7 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Yes.  He deferred a year is all.  A lot of gents have done something similar the last couple of odd years.

At least it isn't as bad as saying that Ethan Smith hasn't improved since arriving in CBus.

I understand who his losses were to and how.  Nothing he did inspires me to believe that, after a year off mind you, he will be better than the 5th best potential 165lber in that room.  Keep in mind if he is saying he wants to go 174, then it likely means either he got BIG or he doesn't want to put the work in to be a successful 165lber.  How do either of those inspire anybody to believe he will beat out Facundo?

Presumably you wrestled, correct? MOST people who spent 20 years in this sport can wrap their head around the fact that sometimes the best thing for a kid is a year off. You feel better, you get healthier and it can rekindle you love of the sport.

The suggestion he would be the 5th best '65 on PSU is...I mean, c'mon.

I couldn't have more respect for what Cael has built at Penn State...but some of the Penn State fans are just a little over the top. 1-0 Wentzl, 4-3 Lewis...he's a good Sr who's been competitive. But there are 4 guys on Penn State...their weakest weight arguably...who will all easily dispatch him?

This is just so over the top. Then again, just saw another fan say that Real Woods couldn't crack the lineup at Penn State either and that he's heard Stanford had some pretty good graduate programs, so...ya know, it's just tough to deal with the disconnect.

5 hours ago, Scourge197 said:

Presumably you wrestled, correct? MOST people who spent 20 years in this sport can wrap their head around the fact that sometimes the best thing for a kid is a year off. You feel better, you get healthier and it can rekindle you love of the sport.

The suggestion he would be the 5th best '65 on PSU is...I mean, c'mon.

I couldn't have more respect for what Cael has built at Penn State...but some of the Penn State fans are just a little over the top. 1-0 Wentzl, 4-3 Lewis...he's a good Sr who's been competitive. But there are 4 guys on Penn State...their weakest weight arguably...who will all easily dispatch him?

This is just so over the top. Then again, just saw another fan say that Real Woods couldn't crack the lineup at Penn State either and that he's heard Stanford had some pretty good graduate programs, so...ya know, it's just tough to deal with the disconnect.

-Understandable and I tend to agree on most occasions.  The other factor of him repeatedly stating 174 as his intention, though?  Where is your response to that either A - he has gotten too big or B - he lacks the discipline to want to commit to being an effective 165lber.  He has been rather adamant on Twitter

-False.

-I never said all four would easily dispatch him.  I said Facundo would do it easily due to styles and the other three just simply would.

-The theory around Woods nit starting would involve RBY moving up.  RBY will not be moving up if Woods were to transfer.  That makes zero sense from a team standpoint.  The only way I see it making sense from an individual standpoint is if RBY has decided that 65kg is the route he intends to go for his '24 run.  In that scenario Woods would go 149, SVN would go 157 and both Haines and Bartlett would redshirt - unless Bartlett can get down to 133 (which I believe is his best chance at making real noise). 

In short there is no way Woods is out of that lineup.  I am not under the illusion that Woods ?= Kennedy, though.  That us the farce here.  The guy clearly had enough.  Now he is saying he is coming back and adamant about 174 being the weight.  Meaning year off and a weight class up.  He already had gas tank issues and issues on the mat.  How will his conditioning be a year away?  We all know the guys get bigger and stronger going up and because of that the mat game deficiencies are exacerbated.

I am not a Penn State fan.

7 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I think Valencia could go 165. If that happens then it is good for the whole lineup. Monday is a much better option than what they had at 174 this year. Then the rest of the lineup gets strengthened regardless of whether Norfleet moves down to 184 or not. 

I am not sold that Valencia can, or even wants, to make 165 for an entire season.  He looks larger and leaner than Anthony.  Not sure the long term intentions there.  Jones has typically taken his guys' freestyle aspirations in to account right?

I do agree 174 with Monday makes a lot of sense if Valencia goes down.