OBXWrestler

Kennedy Monday Announced his top 4

12 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Walker won the Edinboro Open at 174 and was on redshirt this season.  The same tournament that Haines is being so highly talked about for winning at 157.  I don't think 174 is a need for UofM.  My opinion.

misleading to talk about open tournament titles. haines isn't touted for winning the edinboro open. he's touted because he beat paddy gallagher at the edinboro open. walker's best win there was over his teammate max maylor. his best win all year was probably fedewa. zero wins over nq type guys and multiple losses to fritz schierl. 

certainly hasn't shown anything that would prevent them from taking a flyer on a guy like monday if they have the opportunity. and i'm not even high on monday.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

-Understandable and I tend to agree on most occasions.  The other factor of him repeatedly stating 174 as his intention, though?  Where is your response to that either A - he has gotten too big or B - he lacks the discipline to want to commit to being an effective 165lber.  He has been rather adamant on Twitter

-False.

-I never said all four would easily dispatch him.  I said Facundo would do it easily due to styles and the other three just simply would.

-The theory around Woods nit starting would involve RBY moving up.  RBY will not be moving up if Woods were to transfer.  That makes zero sense from a team standpoint.  The only way I see it making sense from an individual standpoint is if RBY has decided that 65kg is the route he intends to go for his '24 run.  In that scenario Woods would go 149, SVN would go 157 and both Haines and Bartlett would redshirt - unless Bartlett can get down to 133 (which I believe is his best chance at making real noise). 

In short there is no way Woods is out of that lineup.  I am not under the illusion that Woods ?= Kennedy, though.  That us the farce here.  The guy clearly had enough.  Now he is saying he is coming back and adamant about 174 being the weight.  Meaning year off and a weight class up.  He already had gas tank issues and issues on the mat.  How will his conditioning be a year away?  We all know the guys get bigger and stronger going up and because of that the mat game deficiencies are exacerbated.

I am not a Penn State fan.

I would bet that RBY is not wrestling in 2024.

15 hours ago, nhs67 said:

False.  I would take both Lee brothers, Edsell, and Facundo over him right now.

Lmao this take is sooooo bad. We are talking about a guy who TECHED David McFadden in folkstyle like 16 months ago. Even if he was showing some signs of HEW in his final season, you don't think a year away from the sport + time in the best room in the country could tap into that upside??  

You're all over the place there, mate.  12-3 is a solid redshirt campaign, with what he wrestled (to be clear?). 

I do suppose the 2-0 record SVN compiled throughout the entire season is a good indicator he performed superior ... ... ...

Haines had an excellent Edinboro Open.  I will give you that.

And the compound?  What are you on about there?  Zero concerns with your opinion there.  You evidently haven't seen either of them wrestle.  Facundo is the worst matchup for Monday out of the 3 or 4 165lbers that would beat him on that roster.

Ok this is starting to make sense - you're one of those types who thinks win-loss record is the most important metric for baseball pitchers;

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

misleading to talk about open tournament titles. haines isn't touted for winning the edinboro open. he's touted because he beat paddy gallagher at the edinboro open. walker's best win there was over his teammate max maylor. his best win all year was probably fedewa. zero wins over nq type guys and multiple losses to fritz schierl. 

certainly hasn't shown anything that would prevent them from taking a flyer on a guy like monday if they have the opportunity. and i'm not even high on monday.

I agree on all parts, I was just being a ponce with the open comparison because... well... I can.  I believe Walker will be as good or better, however I do agree you don't pass up Monday if you are UofM.  You then let them figure it out in the room.

40 minutes ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

Ok this is starting to make sense - you're one of those types who thinks win-loss record is the most important metric for baseball pitchers;

See MPhill's post.

42 minutes ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

Lmao this take is sooooo bad. We are talking about a guy who TECHED David McFadden in folkstyle like 16 months ago. Even if he was showing some signs of HEW in his final season, you don't think a year away from the sport + time in the best room in the country could tap into that upside??  

I think if he had consistent upside we would have seen it before he was 25 years old and 2 weight classes ago.

14 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Since everyone, myself included, is disinclined to listen, I'll offer my willfully ignorant opinion.

Looks like the Mondays take school seriously.  He is not an elite wrestler, but could definitely have a last hurrah.  He needs excellent academics.  He needs a second tier wrestling school with proven track record of developing individuals.

Hello, NW.

Who you callin' second tier podnah? And, though I know this is a lost cause, it's NU not NW!

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

I agree on all parts, I was just being a ponce with the open comparison because... well... I can.  I believe Walker will be as good or better, however I do agree you don't pass up Monday if you are UofM.  You then let them figure it out in the room.

40 minutes ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

See MPhill's post.

42 minutes ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

I think if he had consistent upside we would have seen it before he was 25 years old and 2 weight classes ago.

18 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Yes.  He deferred a year is all.  A lot of gents have done something similar the last couple of odd years.

At least it isn't as bad as saying that Ethan Smith hasn't improved since arriving in CBus.

I understand who his losses were to and how.  Nothing he did inspires me to believe that, after a year off mind you, he will be better than the 5th best potential 165lber in that room.  Keep in mind if he is saying he wants to go 174, then it likely means either he got BIG or he doesn't want to put the work in to be a successful 165lber.  How do either of those inspire anybody to believe he will beat out Facundo?

Gets me every time lol

18 hours ago, Le duke said:

Yes. I think Smith would be a low AA again next year.

A 3rd or 4th place at 165 and 6/7/8 at 174 is worth more than 4/5/6 at 174 alone, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guys we are talking about don’t go to Ohio state 

21 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I think Valencia could go 165. If that happens then it is good for the whole lineup. Monday is a much better option than what they had at 174 this year. Then the rest of the lineup gets strengthened regardless of whether Norfleet moves down to 184 or not. 

I don’t see Notfleet going down unless they bring in someone like Beard at 197. 

21 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I think Valencia could go 165. If that happens then it is good for the whole lineup. Monday is a much better option than what they had at 174 this year. Then the rest of the lineup gets strengthened regardless of whether Norfleet moves down to 184 or not. 

2019-20 Norfleet has been the best version. He needs to get back to that relentless attaching style and using his speed. 

Edited by gobraves101905

-Understandable and I tend to agree on most occasions.  The other factor of him repeatedly stating 174 as his intention, though?  Where is your response to that either A - he has gotten too big or B - he lacks the discipline to want to commit to being an effective 165lber.  He has been rather adamant on Twitter

-False.

-I never said all four would easily dispatch him.  I said Facundo would do it easily due to styles and the other three just simply would.

-The theory around Woods nit starting would involve RBY moving up.  RBY will not be moving up if Woods were to transfer.  That makes zero sense from a team standpoint.  The only way I see it making sense from an individual standpoint is if RBY has decided that 65kg is the route he intends to go for his '24 run.  In that scenario Woods would go 149, SVN would go 157 and both Haines and Bartlett would redshirt - unless Bartlett can get down to 133 (which I believe is his best chance at making real noise). 

In short there is no way Woods is out of that lineup.  I am not under the illusion that Woods ?= Kennedy, though.  That us the farce here.  The guy clearly had enough.  Now he is saying he is coming back and adamant about 174 being the weight.  Meaning year off and a weight class up.  He already had gas tank issues and issues on the mat.  How will his conditioning be a year away?  We all know the guys get bigger and stronger going up and because of that the mat game deficiencies are exacerbated.

I am not a Penn State fan.

-What is my response to your rhetorical speculation that I couldn't possibly know? I don't know...maybe he's been lifting. Where are you getting that he simply "lacks the discipline" because he wants to wrestle a particular weight?

-What is "False?"

-OK, you said ONE unproven Freshmen would "easily dispatch him," while 3 other Wrestlers who haven't accomplished as much as him...simply would...because you said so.

-I was quoting another PSU fan from a thread who SPECIFICALLY said Bartlett dropping down could beat him OR if RBY moves up to 141, SVN may beat him at 149.

But yes, I agree. There IS no way Woods is out of that lineup. I'm not the one suggesting he wouldn't make the lineup. It's obvious he'd make the lineup. And nowhere did I suggest "Woods?=Kennedy," I was drawing a parallel to some of the outlandish statements being made.

How will conditioning be a year away? I don't know...I'd imagine he'd be just fine if he wrestled a whole year next year. Is it possible for you to ask more rhetorical questions? Am I meant to be answering these?

Also...YES, people get stronger when they go up a weight class. And often times people run out of gas when they're cutting too much weight. I don't know what the deal is. I also DON'T know that the "mat game deficiencies are exacerbated." Not if he's stronger and feels better.

-You're not a PSU fan, but you still believe almost EVERY 165 they've got would beat a seasoned veteran who's wrestled the best in the Country...and the one who'd beat him the MOST easily...would be the Freshmen?

Sure...

7 hours ago, Scourge197 said:

This...100% this.

False.

7 hours ago, Scourge197 said:

-What is my response to your rhetorical speculation that I couldn't possibly know? I don't know...maybe he's been lifting. Where are you getting that he simply "lacks the discipline" because he wants to wrestle a particular weight?

-What is "False?"

-OK, you said ONE unproven Freshmen would "easily dispatch him," while 3 other Wrestlers who haven't accomplished as much as him...simply would...because you said so.

-I was quoting another PSU fan from a thread who SPECIFICALLY said Bartlett dropping down could beat him OR if RBY moves up to 141, SVN may beat him at 149.

But yes, I agree. There IS no way Woods is out of that lineup. I'm not the one suggesting he wouldn't make the lineup. It's obvious he'd make the lineup. And nowhere did I suggest "Woods?=Kennedy," I was drawing a parallel to some of the outlandish statements being made.

How will conditioning be a year away? I don't know...I'd imagine he'd be just fine if he wrestled a whole year next year. Is it possible for you to ask more rhetorical questions? Am I meant to be answering these?

Also...YES, people get stronger when they go up a weight class. And often times people run out of gas when they're cutting too much weight. I don't know what the deal is. I also DON'T know that the "mat game deficiencies are exacerbated." Not if he's stronger and feels better.

-You're not a PSU fan, but you still believe almost EVERY 165 they've got would beat a seasoned veteran who's wrestled the best in the Country...and the one who'd beat him the MOST easily...would be the Freshmen?

Sure...

-This is a forum.  Most everything is either rhetorical or theoretical.  You are going to have to get used to it or you will have a bad time.  A lot of people are acting as if he is the 2nd coming kf JB at 165, when he has stated he wants to go 174.  If he doesn't want to go 165 then he lacks the discipline to go 165, as it would require more.

-I was directly responding to a paragraph of yours, in order.  As I am now.

-Yes.  It is an opinion based off results and potential.  You get a lot of those here, too.

-We are actually in agreement here.  It's pish posh.

-I know you did not say Woods = Kennedy.  You seem intelligent enough to know that.

-Again: It's a forum.  Adjust and get used to it, please.  You seem woke enough to make a lot of these threads make a little more sense, so please stick around.

-Adding another variable to an already inconsistent wrestler is another unknown.  I have more faith in developing an age group world medalist than I do believing a 25 year old in his 3rd weight class after a year away.  The Penn State staff will too.

-Correct here.  Learn yourself up on Facundo.  He is pretty good.  Add in that, as Plas says above:  Monday hasn't had a real good win in a long while.  His win over McFadden was January of 2020.  He has lost to much lesser wrestlers and better quite a bit since then and before then.  Losing well isn't a thing unless you are consistently winning well too, which hasn't been a think in a long time for him.