Sign in to follow this  
OR

Let's Talk Tulsa 2023

Planning on heading to Tulsa next year for the tournament.  What can we expect?

Bars, transportation, lodging, where should we stay, the venue, etc, etc.

Never been to Tulsa and have no idea what to expect.

I get that Oklahoma State used to be a good wrestling program… But Tulsa sure seems a long ways away from the vast majority of college wrestling fans.

Edited by Ping72

Tulsa will not disappoint. Tulsa is a thriving city and the Downtown area has a ton of Bars, Hotels, Restaurants and night life. The BOK center is very nice as well. I have been all over the US attending the NCAA's and Tulsa would be on the top of my list. .5 miles to one of the best parks in the United Stated with the "Gathering Place!" Once you have been to Tulsa you will always want to come back. The people are super kewl and friendly. Be sure to visit Cherry Street, Brookside, Pearl District as well as the Downtown area. If you want great shopping about a mile from downtown then be sure to hit Utica Square. You can get anywhere in Tulsa within a 20 minute drive so be sure to check out more than just downtown. It is also real easy to get an Uber anywhere in the city. 

37 minutes ago, GenralLee said:

Tulsa will not disappoint. Tulsa is a thriving city and the Downtown area has a ton of Bars, Hotels, Restaurants and night life. The BOK center is very nice as well. I have been all over the US attending the NCAA's and Tulsa would be on the top of my list. .5 miles to one of the best parks in the United Stated with the "Gathering Place!" Once you have been to Tulsa you will always want to come back. The people are super kewl and friendly. Be sure to visit Cherry Street, Brookside, Pearl District as well as the Downtown area. If you want great shopping about a mile from downtown then be sure to hit Utica Square. You can get anywhere in Tulsa within a 20 minute drive so be sure to check out more than just downtown. It is also real easy to get an Uber anywhere in the city. 

Sounds great.  Any part of town in particular you would recommend staying?  Downtown near the BOK Center?

5 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

Tulsa Nationals is the only real nationals in Tulsa. Smash an apple and give em a big ass trophy, and we are in business!!

You forgot spending 3 days in a hotel.

Tulsa does a great job of having multiple events at the same time, so get your rooms EARLY. 

5 minutes ago, TexRef said:

You forgot spending 3 days in a hotel.

Tulsa does a great job of having multiple events at the same time, so get your rooms EARLY. 

Nothing beats a good free continental.

22 minutes ago, OR said:

Sounds great.  Any part of town in particular you would recommend staying?  Downtown near the BOK Center?

I've seen people say the downtown hotels are already booked up, but yes that's definitely where you want to stay if you can find one. After that, for the most part it's pick a chain you like close to a highway. If you do that you will be within 15-20 minutes of downtown almost no matter what. If you stay downtown, you can walk to everything you'd want to do. 

There are bars for every taste in downtown. St Paddy's falls on the Friday of Nationals next year and there are two irish bars downtown that both block off their respective streets for festivities. But really, would have to know what you're looking for to make a recommendation. 

Plenty of good restaurants and more coming in all the time so probably best to wait like 300 days for recommendations there.

Will the restaurants understand the tourney is coming? I have been to 3 of the 4 (I think) nationals in OkCity, at the Myriad and Ford Center, and the restaurants were never prepared And they never figured it out. And OkCity is between OkSU and U of Ok. Tulsa has nearby Tulsa (and Oral Roberts?), with never wrestling. 

But I will be there

Edited by RichB

10 hours ago, RichB said:

Will the restaurants understand the tourney is coming? I have been to 3 of the 4 (I think) nationals in OkCity, at the Myriad and Ford Center, and the restaurants were never prepared And they never figured it out. And OkCity is between OkSU and U of Ok. Tulsa has nearby Tulsa (and Oral Roberts?), with never wrestling. 

But I will be there

It is a head scratcher that the University of Tulsa has never had wrestling. Do you have insight on why that is?

10 minutes ago, TexRef said:

It is a head scratcher that the University of Tulsa has never had wrestling. Do you have insight on why that is?

It's the smallest FBS school in a small state with two historical blue bloods. Low chance of being competitive overall. With that said, Tulsa is looking at adding new sports and the school president had this to say last summer:

https://twitter.com/bradrcarson/status/1428876781671665670?s=20&t=UvPXVdhZByeho_NjXjn76A

23 minutes ago, EnglishBob said:

It's the smallest FBS school in a small state with two historical blue bloods. Low chance of being competitive overall. With that said, Tulsa is looking at adding new sports and the school president had this to say last summer:

https://twitter.com/bradrcarson/status/1428876781671665670?s=20&t=UvPXVdhZByeho_NjXjn76A

Thank you

On 3/30/2022 at 4:21 PM, EnglishBob said:

I've seen people say the downtown hotels are already booked up, but yes that's definitely where you want to stay if you can find one. After that, for the most part it's pick a chain you like close to a highway. If you do that you will be within 15-20 minutes of downtown almost no matter what. If you stay downtown, you can walk to everything you'd want to do. 

There are bars for every taste in downtown. St Paddy's falls on the Friday of Nationals next year and there are two irish bars downtown that both block off their respective streets for festivities. But really, would have to know what you're looking for to make a recommendation. 

Plenty of good restaurants and more coming in all the time so probably best to wait like 300 days for recommendations there.

So it looks like all hotels within walking distance of the arena are booked except for 2. La Quinta (which look so-so) and a boutique called 17 West Ascend. The latter is closer to the arena and less than the price of La Quinta. Any local people want to give me insight into whether the 17 West Ascend is an OK place to stay? I'm a little suspicious when the price is less than half that of a hotel that's further away and appears to be less nice.

Just now, Fletcher said:

So it looks like all hotels within walking distance of the arena are booked except for 2. La Quinta (which look so-so) and a boutique called 17 West Ascend. The latter is closer to the arena and less than the price of La Quinta. Any local people want to give me insight into whether the 17 West Ascend is an OK place to stay? I'm a little suspicious when the price is less than half that of a hotel that's further away and appears to be less nice.

No La Quinta has ever let me down.  

Why must these events be in backwater almost 3rd world sites?  No hotels rooms and price gouging because of a minor event just highlights the corruption of the NCAA.    You can stay in mid-town Manhattan for less than a suite in Tulsa. 

7 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Been a long time since I was in it, but it used to be a Holiday Inn. Ascend is the "upscale" brand of the company that owns Comfort, Clarion, and Quality Inns. Based on that, I'd assume roughly equivalent to a Holiday Inn still.

2 hours ago, TFBJR said:

Why must these events be in backwater almost 3rd world sites?  No hotels rooms and price gouging because of a minor event just highlights the corruption of the NCAA.    You can stay in mid-town Manhattan for less than a suite in Tulsa. 

Maybe true but K-state dropped wrestling back in the mid 70s.  :(

2 hours ago, TFBJR said:

It's weird because there appears to be many more hotels close to the arena in Tulsa than there were in Detroit. I had no trouble booking at the nearest Westin in Detroit, but all the recognizable brand hotels in Tulsa (multiple Marriotts, Hyatts and Hiltons) were all booked from the day they opened their booking dates for March '23.

Is there really more demand in Tulsa than there was in Detroit? And did the schools really gobble up all the hotel rooms with block reservations before the hotels opened those dates to the public?

15 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

And did the schools really gobble up all the hotel rooms with block reservations before the hotels opened those dates to the public?

This appears to be the case.

2 hours ago, TFBJR said:

NCAAs in somewhere like Vegas would be epic.  Bring the NCAAs out west!

NCAA has blocked all hotels in the "downtown" area.  Since Tulsa has no public transportation, other than buses, getting to/from the BOK Center is not going to be easy.  Don't really want to rent a vehicle, then find parking every day, sometimes twice per day.  Don't really want to stay 7 miles out of town and try to Uber at least twice per day.  Really not happy about how this is looking so far.  I like to be within walking distance (and I'm ok with walking pretty far) or within a short easy ride on an electric train.

1 minute ago, OR said:

NCAAs in somewhere like Vegas would be epic.  Bring the NCAAs out west!

Tons of hotel rooms, cheap flights - this would be great.  The only issue might be it is the same weekend as the MBB tournament.  Maybe move it up or back a week.  

Chicago, New York (Detroit ....), Vegas, Miami on a rotation would be great.  Even Boston has rooms and food / drink aplenty.  No one vacations in Tulsa, St. Louis, or Kansas City, Mo..  Philly will be a disappointment because you are down South, surrounded by major highways.  It will be all driving and mass transportation.  Cleveland could be great.