Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
OR

Let's Talk Tulsa 2023

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, d- said:

NCAA has blocked all hotels in the "downtown" area.

Do some of those hotels/rooms eventually get “released” for the general public or are they forever gone for Teams and/or event officials/workers ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, d- said:

NCAA has blocked all hotels in the "downtown" area. 

Source for this or just an assumption? That would explain why all nearby hotels are unavailable. I've never had this hotel problem at any of my prior NCAAs (Detroit, St. Louis, Pitt, and Cleveland) - I wonder why they would suddenly decide to do this with Tulsa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Source for this or just an assumption? That would explain why all nearby hotels are unavailable. I've never had this hotel problem at any of my prior NCAAs (Detroit, St. Louis, Pitt, and Cleveland) - I wonder why they would suddenly decide to do this with Tulsa?

Fewer hotels to start with?

Tulsa metro pop 1 mil

Det - 4.4 mil

Pitt- 2.4

St L 2.8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Fewer hotels to start with?

Tulsa metro pop 1 mil

Det - 4.4 mil

Pitt- 2.4

St L 2.8

I know - it doesn't make sense, but if you on google maps, there's a lot more hotels hear BOK center in Tulsa than there was near the Detroit arena. Maybe they're smaller or something? I dunno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

I know - it doesn't make sense, but if you on google maps, there's a lot more hotels hear BOK center in Tulsa than there was near the Detroit arena. Maybe they're smaller or something? I dunno.

Or everybody wants to go to Tulsa and nobody wants to go to Detroit.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Source for this or just an assumption? That would explain why all nearby hotels are unavailable. I've never had this hotel problem at any of my prior NCAAs (Detroit, St. Louis, Pitt, and Cleveland) - I wonder why they would suddenly decide to do this with Tulsa?

I called every single hotel in the "downtown" area.  I also tried online booking and email contacts where available.

Source is both:  I was told directly by several hotels that the NCAA had blocked all rooms at their respective hotels.  I shouldn't have said "all".  I also assumed that based on what I was told, but it seemed like a pretty safe and logical assumption.

P.S.  I had no real trouble getting a block of rooms in Detroit and actually liked it there.  Arena was awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NCAA blocked rooms as part of a fan ticket package (see link).  "... On Location, the Official Ticket and Hospitality Provider of the NCAA..."

Packages (including lodging) START at $2,475.00 per person.  Sorry, but that's a bit steep.  We can watch from home, then go to an island for a week for that.

https://onlocationexp.com/ncaa/wrestling-championships-tickets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, d- said:

NCAA blocked rooms as part of a fan ticket package (see link).  "... On Location, the Official Ticket and Hospitality Provider of the NCAA..."

Packages (including lodging) START at $2,475.00 per person.  Sorry, but that's a bit steep.  We can watch from home, then go to an island for a week for that.

https://onlocationexp.com/ncaa/wrestling-championships-tickets

I wonder if this is a new strategy by the NCAA because I haven't had this hotel room issue 11 months out in previous years. I was going to start calling hotels directly, but sounds like you've already done that. For what it's worth, I was able to find availability at the La Quinta and 17 West Ascend - not my first choices, but at least walkable to the arena.

I also bet that the seats in that package are all upper bowl.

Edit: Just checked the link you posted and it looks like the NCAA package only is with the Holiday Inn. Not sure why all the Hyatts, Marriotts and Hiltons would also be booked already.

Edited by Fletcher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ionel said:

Or everybody wants to go to Tulsa and nobody wants to go to Detroit.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Detroit was great.  Amazing arena, lots of lodging, casinos nearby, plenty of drinking establishments.  Personally I would rather it be back in Detroit than Oklahoma.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OR said:

Detroit was great.  Amazing arena, lots of lodging, casinos nearby, plenty of drinking establishments.  Personally I would rather it be back in Detroit than Oklahoma.

Detroit was great, but I'm also looking forward to warm weather for once. This will be particularly important when we all have to sleep outside because the NCAA took all the hotel rooms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2022 at 12:44 PM, OR said:

Detroit was great.  Amazing arena, lots of lodging, casinos nearby, plenty of drinking establishments.  Personally I would rather it be back in Detroit than Oklahoma.

The night of St. Patrick's Day was crazy though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be sure to get your hotel rooms early in Tulsa, they have a limited number of rooms and just a couple events on the same weekend can be a huge pain in the ass and an impediment to getting a room. You may end up having to get a room in suburbs like Broken Arrow or Sand Springs.  On the other hand, Tulsa has lots of casinos in and around it, so you can take a break from wrestling and go play some poker. 

The city itself is nothing special. There is good HS wrestling in the city, but HS season will be long over by the time NCAAs start. There isn't much of cultural value in Tulsa either, the museums are  "so-so". The zoo is good, if you brought some of your kids to the tournament you could take them to Mohawk Zoo. Seriously, it's one of the better zoos in the USA. There is a lot of crime in Tulsa and there are parts of town you shouldn't visit, unless you want to get robbed and killed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hufarted said:

Be sure to get your hotel rooms early in Tulsa, they have a limited number of rooms and just a couple events on the same weekend can be a huge pain in the ass and an impediment to getting a room. You may end up having to get a room in suburbs like Broken Arrow or Sand Springs.  On the other hand, Tulsa has lots of casinos in and around it, so you can take a break from wrestling and go play some poker. 

The city itself is nothing special. There is good HS wrestling in the city, but HS season will be long over by the time NCAAs start. There isn't much of cultural value in Tulsa either, the museums are  "so-so". The zoo is good, if you brought some of your kids to the tournament you could take them to Mohawk Zoo. Seriously, it's one of the better zoos in the USA. There is a lot of crime in Tulsa and there are parts of town you shouldn't visit, unless you want to get robbed and killed.

I guess there is a reason I have never been to Tulsa....  Yikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hufarted said:

...................... There is a lot of crime in Tulsa and there are parts of town you shouldn't visit, unless you want to get robbed and killed.

What parts should be avoided?  as I really have no desire to get either robbed or killed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, d- said:

What parts should be avoided?  as I really have no desire to get either robbed or killed.

Well, North Tulsa is gang territory, so it's best avoided. There are nice spots in North Tulsa, btw, it's not all no-man's land. I linked a crime map of Tulsa below, hopefully it can guide you. 

https://crimegrade.org/violent-crime-tulsa-ok-metro/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, d- said:

What parts should be avoided?  as I really have no desire to get either robbed or killed.

A big part of the crime takes place at some large and rough apartment complexes. In any city I'd advise strongly against following someone you don't know into an apartment. 

Popular night life areas include downtown, Cherry Street and Brookside and you will be fine in all of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just booked Comfort Inn Downtown West.  Looks like it is a mile or so just west of downtown.  Looking at the map, there is a walking/bike trail (Katy Trail) that runs parallel with the interstate then dips into downtown and ends about a block from BOK.  Would this be safe area to walk, even at night?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...