Sign in to follow this  
OR

Let's Talk Tulsa 2023

Seems like the best hotel in the area is Tulsa's Aloft* offering. I'm not sure of its exact name, but it's right across the street from BOK. I've stayed in a few Aloft hotels (Flatbush, Richmond, DC(?)), and Tulsa's is weird/cool like the other ones. It must have been an office building in a previous life. The modular furniture in the room made it feel like a bank or a lawyer's office, like I was going in to haggle about a loan, close on a house, or sign a property settlement agreement. But, as with everything else in Tulsa, there was space. It had a cool bar with ping pong tables (?) and a terrace with a view (of what? It's Tulsa in March, so the bleached skeleton of an oil boom town built atop brown prairie stippled with blackjacks and festooned by red cedars along the fence lines). It is walking distance (Tulsa walking distance, i.e. kinda a hike, see "space" comment) to other downtown stuff, e.g. a retro video-game bar, a decent ramen/fusion place, Cains (absolutely worthless as a live-music venue but kinda a trip to imagine being in the audience for Bob Wills or the Sex Pistols), that fish building, etc.).

But, what you wanna check out in Tulsa are the oil mansions (in Maple Ridge, I think), a walking audio tour of Black Wall St and the 1921 race massacre, the Frank Loyd Wright house somewhere on Lewis (?), and the Gilcrease and Philbrook collections of Remingtons. 

Re eats: In Tulsa, I guess you eat steak and avoid sushi. If you're in the mood for gentrification, try Cherry Street and Brookside. But, I would give North Tulsa / Greenwood a go (esp, El Rio Verde ... you can see the "Outsiders" house while you're at it). 

*from what I gather, Aloft is a chain of boutique hotels, like Kimpton but cheaper.

Edited by jackwebster

4 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Seems like the best hotel in the area is Tulsa's Aloft* offering. I'm not sure of its exact name, but it's right across the street from BOK. I've stayed in a few Aloft hotels (Flatbush, Richmond, DC(?)), and Tulsa's is weird/cool like the other ones. It must have been an office building in a previous life. The modular furniture in the room made it feel like a bank or a lawyer's office, like I was going in to haggle about a loan, close on a house, or sign a property settlement agreement. But, as with everything else in Tulsa, there was space. It had a cool bar with ping pong tables (?) and a terrace with a view (of what? It's Tulsa in March, so the bleached skeleton of an oil boom town built atop brown prairie stippled with blackjacks and festooned by red cedars along the fence lines). It is walking distance (Tulsa walking distance, i.e. kinda a hike, see "space" comment) to other downtown stuff, e.g. a retro video-game bar, a decent ramen/fusion place, Cains (absolutely worthless as a live-music venue but kinda a trip to imagine being in the audience for Bob Wills or the Sex Pistols), that fish building, etc.).

But, what you wanna check out in Tulsa are the oil mansions (in Maple Ridge, I think), a walking audio tour of Black Wall St and the 1921 race massacre, the Frank Loyd Wright house somewhere on Lewis (?), and the Gilcrease and Philbrook collections of Remingtons. 

Re eats: In Tulsa, I guess you eat steak and avoid sushi. If you're in the mood for gentrification, try Cherry Street and Brookside. But, I would give North Tulsa / Greenwood a go (esp, El Rio Verde ... you can see the "Outsiders" house while you're at it). 

*from what I gather, Aloft is a chain of boutique hotels, like Kimpton but cheaper.

Good info, thank you.

Maybe I am using the wrong search method, but unfortunately Aloft doesn't look to have any availability during the NCAA tourney.

4 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Good idea. The more people you can get out and about exploring the town, the closer I can seat-hop to matside during the consolation rounds. 

Everybody - follow Jack Webster to the oil mansions during the wrestlebacks. Nothing to see here.

14 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Good idea. The more people you can get out and about exploring the town, the closer I can seat-hop to matside during the consolation rounds. 

Everybody - follow Jack Webster to the oil mansions during the wrestlebacks. Nothing to see here.

Word. I'm a Penn State fan, so the only sessions that are mildly interesting are the semis -- when we wrap it up -- and the finals -- when they hand out the trophy.

1 hour ago, OR said:

Good info, thank you.

Maybe I am using the wrong search method, but unfortunately Aloft doesn't look to have any availability during the NCAA tourney.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/aloft-tulsa-downtown.html

It looks like you can't book online this far in advance. Right now, you can only book up through the first week in March . . . I would either call or check back frequently (?).

Either that or you're right: it's booked already.

50 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/aloft-tulsa-downtown.html

It looks like you can't book online this far in advance. Right now, you can only book up through the first week in March . . . I would either call or check back frequently (?).

Either that or you're right: it's booked already.

I looks like dates are available after the tourney.