Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Joe1288

Real Woods

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, swoopdown said:

but since I'm a PSU fan I'd be ok with it playing out.  It may be wishful thinking that a lower weight and an additional year experience mean that level of improvement but it is not crazy talk either.

If Real Woods chooses PSU Bartlett will RS next year, Oly shirt the following year and will return into the lineup with 3 years of eligibility

Edited by portajohn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheHeel said:

How does a Real Woods thread turn into another PSU thread? Exhausting!

Because people start by saying "I heard a rumor", then they drop the qualifier, then they act like it isn't a rumor, then they claim it is a cold hard immutable fact. Nothing anyone can do about it. Done. Dusted. It never ceased to amaze me how people love to run with this stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Because people start by saying "I heard a rumor", then they drop the qualifier, then they act like it isn't a rumor, then they claim it is a cold hard immutable fact. Nothing anyone can do about it. Done. Dusted. It never ceased to amaze me how people love to run with this stuff.

It's good offseason fun anyways, keeps the fans engaged. Got to do something until the US Open and Trials!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, portajohn said:

If Real Woods chooses PSU Bartlett will RS next year, Oly shirt the following year and will return into the lineup with 3 years of eligibility

He'd have to change his name from Beau to Gramps Bartlett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Because people start by saying "I heard a rumor", then they drop the qualifier, then they act like it isn't a rumor, then they claim it is a cold hard immutable fact. Nothing anyone can do about it. Done. Dusted. It never ceased to amaze me how people love to run with this stuff.

Well it is a fact that he’s in the portal. And whenever a top guy is in the portal, PSU is an option.  So I’m sure there’s some  smoke to the Woods to PSU rumor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he will soon have a degree in psychology, and if plans to pursue that course of study at the graduate level, and if he is serious about his graduate studies, then he would probably look at, among others: Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and UNC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Katie said:

If he will soon have a degree in psychology, and if plans to pursue that course of study at the graduate level, and if he is serious about his graduate studies, then he would probably look at, among others: Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and UNC. 

If all that is true, wouldn't he just stay at Stanford?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

If all that is true, wouldn't he just stay at Stanford?

That would also be a good option. 

A potential issue would be the difficulty in getting into grad programs (as compared with undergrad programs). They are more difficult to get into across the board, plus I don’t think that grad school applicants get special consideration for being athletes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

If all that is true, wouldn't he just stay at Stanford?

Is it possible there was some sort of clash with Koll?  IIRC he considered transferring last year when the team was cut, but decided not to even before they knew the team was coming back.  Considering all the press about him dreaming to go to Stanford, it’s a surprise IMO that he may want to transfer now, even though he already graduated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Because people start by saying "I heard a rumor", then they drop the qualifier, then they act like it isn't a rumor, then they claim it is a cold hard immutable fact. Nothing anyone can do about it. Done. Dusted. It never ceased to amaze me how people love to run with this stuff.

He's in the portal with no contact, so it's not comforting for you. But it's done and dusted. Hit rinse and repeat though and maybe next rumor will be false. Here, I will make it easy: Spencer Lee is in the portal. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Is it possible there was some sort of clash with Koll?  IIRC he considered transferring last year when the team was cut, but decided not to even before they knew the team was coming back.  Considering all the press about him dreaming to go to Stanford, it’s a surprise IMO that he may want to transfer now, even though he already graduated.

I’d question that more if he did it before his graduation year.  But if he’s indeed graduating then he has fulfilled his dream of Stanford and is free to accomplish his next academic or athletic dream as he wants.  He maybe to be just seeing what options are out there. I’m sure Koll would make a pitch for him to stay and he would listen to it, unless there was some type of tension.  

Edited by MadMardigain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

I’d question that more if he did it before his graduation year.  But if he’s indeed graduating then he has fulfilled his dream of Stanford and is free to accomplish his next academic or athletic dream as he wants.  He maybe to be just seeing what options are out there. I’m sure Koll would make a pitch for him to stay and he would listen to it, unless there was some type of tension.  

The tension remaining may be with the University, as it were.  Keep in mind that throughout the process Stanford made it known that the student athletes didn't matter to Stanford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

The tension remaining may be with the University, as it were.  Keep in mind that throughout the process Stanford made it known that the student athletes didn't matter to Stanford.

If that were so, then why did they bring in Koll?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Katie said:

That would also be a good option. 

A potential issue would be the difficulty in getting into grad programs (as compared with undergrad programs). They are more difficult to get into across the board, plus I don’t think that grad school applicants get special consideration for being athletes.  

Not true for some Stanford degrees--the professional degrees such as business and law school excepted--if you're already there for undergrad. But he's going to be lured away by NLI money and go elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Not true for some Stanford degrees--the professional degrees such as business and law school excepted--if you're already there for undergrad. But he's going to be lured away by NLI money and go elsewhere.

Grad programs give a leg up to kids who graduated from the affiliated undergrad program? Why would they do that?

I would have thought otherwise, mostly because they are constantly fighting for a ranking.

As for NIL money everyone is speculating about. If I were him, I’d focus on my resume and not NIL money. 

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Katie said:

Grad programs give a leg up to kids who graduated from the affiliated undergrad program?

Why would they do that? I would have thought otherwise, mostly because they are constantly fighting for a ranking. 

My grad school did that (perennially ranked high). They also waved the application fee. Not having two nickels to rub together at the time, that made a huge difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  

2 hours ago, Katie said:

Grad programs give a leg up to kids who graduated from the affiliated undergrad program? Why would they do that?

I would have thought otherwise, mostly because they are constantly fighting for a ranking.

I said some, not all. The programs that are fighting for rankings are the professional degree-granting schools: business, law, medicine, in that order. Stanford is top 5 in each of those (I think top 2, but that's my opinion) and exceedingly difficult to get into. Real isn't getting into any of those. He's going to whoever pays him the most money, and I'd be surprised if it's PSU. I bet it's Iowa or tOSU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

  

I said some, not all. The programs that are fighting for rankings are the professional degree-granting schools: business, law, medicine, in that order. Stanford is top 5 in each of those (I think top 2, but that's my opinion) and exceedingly difficult to get into. Real isn't getting into any of those. He's going to whoever pays him the most money, and I'd be surprised if it's PSU. I bet it's Iowa or tOSU.

He’s intelligent if he was able to get a degree from Stanford, all while wrestling at a high level.  Good luck to him.  Hopefully he keeps his career in mind, because folkstyle doesn’t pay the bills (unless you get into coaching). And there’s nothing wrong with Big Ten grad programs (and nothing wrong with plenty of other grad programs).

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Katie said:

He’s intelligent if he was able to get a degree from Stanford, all while wrestling at a high level.  Good luck to him.  Hopefully he keeps his career in mind, because folkstyle doesn’t pay the bills (unless you get into coaching). And there’s nothing wrong with Big Ten grad programs (and nothing wrong with plenty of other grad programs).

He doesn't have his degree yet. He'll probably have to do extra coursework to graduate before next season. Folkstyle definitely does pay the bills now, albeit temporarily, but from what I know, he's not forgoing a Stanford education like Joey McKenna did. His plan is to graduate before next season (or next NCAAs) and then transfer and get paid. Some of the money that is being offered to top talent is too compelling for even a Stanford soon-to-be grad to turn down.

I would do the same as he's doing if the money is there, which it will be for his services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...