• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 NJDan

NJDan

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

55KG has just one one one-time NCAA champ in the mix. Seems like this is a relatively weak looking weight class.
http://themat.com/se...n.php?section_i ... leID=26640

I guess Nickerson & McDonough can't make the weight anymore. Same with Simmons.

Robles, I always thought, would be awesome in freestyle, but I guess he has no interest. Where is Mega? Where is Delgado?

#2 Tripster

Tripster

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

Robles would get disqualified for passivity. Only in US can you stay on your knee all match and not be called passive simply because you have one leg and it is a good story.

#3 NJDan

NJDan

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

Are you serious, Tripster? I hope not. What if he shoots from that one knee?

#4 Tripster

Tripster

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

There should be no special rules for anyone. He can't shoot unless you come close to him. Any two legged athlete that gets down on his knees like that would be called for passivity.

#5 lewboo

lewboo

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Tripster I haven't really looked at the new rules yet, but under the old rules, there was virtually no penalty at all for passivity, and when is the last time ANY wrestler in freestyle has been disqualified for passivity?

#6 Tripster

Tripster

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Gia Sissauri in 1995 comes to mind. But I will turn tables on you. How many one legged wrestlers have we seen internationally? Robles was getting a lot of leeway in college. I believe wrestlers were forced to tie up with him and come to him. Under old rules a wrestler could simply run around him and wait for the clinch and then Robles is toast.

#7 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Nonsense. Robles was aggressive.

#8 NJDan

NJDan

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

It's insane to think that any ref would call Robles out for being on on knee. I don't even think there is a rule against doing it.

#9 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,534 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

It's insane to think that any ref would call Robles out for being on on knee. I don't even think there is a rule against doing it.

Depends on what the definition of is is. There definitely was one. Now, whether they would call in this case or not.

#10 coach_tracy

coach_tracy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

There should be no special rules for anyone. He can't shoot unless you come close to him. Any two legged athlete that gets down on his knees like that would be called for passivity.

Tripster, you are not informed in this matter. 1) There is no rule against taking a knee (see John Smith matches) 2) Robles drops to a knee and moves forward, most often his opponents backup or circle away, which makes them, stalling or passive. 3) Robles NEVER asked or received special treatment or special rules. On the contrary I coached him in freestyle at FILA Jr. WTT, he took 5th if I recall and was never once warned for passivity 4) The tone of your posts certainly makes you seem hostile, I wonder why, Jealousy? 5) Robles was not a "good story" he is and was a wrestler.
Random Q - I bet you are against womens wrestling too, hunh?
[highlight=#ffffff]

Help me support kids wrestling and save money - visit family dental discount site

[/highlight]

#11 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

Will you guys ever learn to ignore Tripster? He's either (successfully) trying to get you worked up or just stupid. Either way, ignore him.

Back on topic, I'm not sure NCAA championships is the way to judge these weights. 55kg this year has as many past world team members as any other weight except 60kg. If Simmons were at 55, it would have the most. And by the way, 3 of our 7 Olympian were not D1 champs.

Additionally, the reason there aren't many champs is possibly because of these champs at 125:
2013: still in school, and only a sophomore
2012: shoulder surgery
2011: stopped wrestling to hit the lecture circuit
2010: shoulder surgery
2009: multiple shoulder issues, now a full time coach

#12 Tripster

Tripster

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:09 AM

I saw Robles matches. He is not only on his knee but sits on his butt and officials do nothing. Terrible to watch but hats off to him for doing all he can. Still big difference between taking your knee to shoot and sitting on your butt and your knee all the time. Robles could never get up during wrestling since immediately he would be taken down. Again, huge respect for his pursuits but terrible to watch and he won due to special rules created for him.

Just because refs did not call it doesn't mean he wasn't being passive.

#13 DuckFor2

DuckFor2

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

Gia Sissauri in 1995 comes to mind. But I will turn tables on you. How many one legged wrestlers have we seen internationally? Robles was getting a lot of leeway in college. I believe wrestlers were forced to tie up with him and come to him. Under old rules a wrestler could simply run around him and wait for the clinch and then Robles is toast.

simply run around him? wow, your posts never seem to amaze anyone anymore with how dumb they sound. McD should've just ran around a few times at NCAA's, right?

I would've loved to see Robles make at least 1 attempt, IF he still could make the weight.

#14 Tripster

Tripster

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:31 AM

People were almost being hit for stalling if they did not come and lock up with Robles while he was sitting on his butt/knee. Pure good will for a kid with one leg. I realize he had great wrestling skills but the bottom line is Robles could not stand on his foot and wrestle like you are supposed to for every other wrestler.

But in the West we love making a superman out of a disabled kid and claiming anything is possible if you (and the refs) only want it to be so.

#15 sockobuw

sockobuw

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:37 AM

People were almost being hit for stalling if they did not come and lock up with Robles while he was sitting on his butt/knee. Pure good will for a kid with one leg. I realize he had great wrestling skills but the bottom line is Robles could not stand on his foot and wrestle like you are supposed to for every other wrestler.

But in the West we love making a superman out of a disabled kid and claiming anything is possible if you (and the refs) only want it to be so.

kind of surprised even the best of trolls would take this one on, especially when 0 accommodations were made for robles in folkstyle. i only wish you would have the pleasure of going about an hour of live goes with robles so he could teach you to syfm.(or in this case, stop typing)

#16 Tripster

Tripster

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:40 AM

Even this kid can win:

http://video.search.... ... =12rbtrf7o

#17 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:56 AM

maybe gadisov should cut off one of his legs and try and win at a lower weight class.

JUST KIDDING! :-)

#18 paver1surf1

paver1surf1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:15 AM

Even this kid can win:

http://video.search.... ... =12rbtrf7o

You are an AZZhole

#19 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:29 AM

i made my comment before watching the video in tripster's post. im sorry i did now. would delete if i could. incredibly poor taste to use that video in the context that it was. literally shameful.

#20 sockobuw

sockobuw

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:40 AM

there isn't even a need to comment. trip has to live with the person he is. one of his conspiracy theories is disproven so he attacks someone down the chain. such a weak person.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users