BigTenFanboy

Daton Fix in the NCAA finals

For all the whining about stalling in his finals (and all the finals matches) it remains true that the eventual NCAA champion in each finals match scored a TD.  The theme continues that those who whine about their favorite wrestler losing due to stalling are rooting for a wrestler who, he himself, failed to score a single TD in said final.

30 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

For all the whining about stalling in his finals (and all the finals matches) it remains true that the eventual NCAA champion in each finals match scored a TD.  The theme continues that those who whine about their favorite wrestler losing due to stalling are rooting for a wrestler who, he himself, failed to score a single TD in said final.

this might be your most substantive post of all time

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Begs the question, has anyone lost 4 finals?  Is he eligible for 5?  I think Goldman lost 3.

Yes he is eligible for 5.  I imagine he’ll win at least one in his 2 remaining years though.

Maybe Spencer can bump up to 133…

Zapitul also lost three.  I don't think anyone has lost 4.  As pointed out earlier Abas also lost 3.  One of his loses was to Alan Fried who himself lost 2 NCAA finals.  Had Abas won that, Fried would have been 0-3 having lost the 4th year of eligibility by remaining at OSU his junior year when they were on probation and banned from postseason competition.

Edited by Fishbane

On 3/31/2022 at 12:56 PM, 1032004 said:

Yes he is eligible for 5.  I imagine he’ll win at least one in his 2 remaining years though.

Maybe Spencer can bump up to 133…

I doubt Spencer could beat Fix at 133, unless he puts on 8 pounds of muscle.  Didn't Fix beat Spencer years ago when both were HS kids?

20 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Gerry Abas was also a 3x runner up

Duane Goldman did it before Gerry, but beat Dan Chaid in the finals his senior season (avenging a loss from the '85 finals, when Chaid beat Goldman 5-3).

Goldman went 2, 2, 2, 1 (his other two finals losses were to Jim Scheer and Mark Schultz)

8 minutes ago, BadgerMon said:

Bob Fehrs of Michigan dropped 3 finals to Mike Caruso- Lehigh back in the 60s.

By the way...and it's been misspelled for years....Jim and Bill SCHERR.

Although it's pronounced as it shouldn't be spelled.

On the Fehrs thing, the other night I went to Lehigh's new Women's Wrestling Club practice. A few of the Men's club were there also. One was from Milton Hershey (Fehrs' Prep School). I got to tell the kid the whole Caruso/Fehrs story. He hadn't heard it. He did say Dr. Fehrs came into practice one day and said he was going to teach some stuff. They were initially skeptical!

I’d say three runner-up finishes and a world silver medal is an enviable career already.

Also, it feels like Fix has been around for a while now.  So it’s interesting that he can compete for two more seasons if he wants to.  

Edited by Katie