Sign in to follow this  
RPKD

Being reported on Intermat that NWCA withdrawing proposal

Seems like the smart thing to do at the moment, assuming this is true -

What a week for wrestling fans. After announcing in early August that they'll be pursuing a dual meet team champion within the structure of the NCAA, the NWCA saw a full-scale rebellion the last few days. Leading the charge has been Penn State head wrestling coach Cael Sanderson, who has been nothing short of enraged since first learning of the idea while coaching Jake Varner to an Olympic gold in London.

The debacle has seemed to end with the NWCA pulling support for the change by sending the NCAA wrestling committee a memo asking them to withdraw the proposal, which they will likely do. However, the event has left some scarred and some motivated for change. Emails circulating among the coaches remain pretty positive about what transpired this past week. Like a bad fight between lovers, this coaches throw-down might be just the venting process they needed to kiss, makeup, and start growing the sport.

AMEN!Truth is that they had something that was working and because guys like Koll wants to prove a point to Iowa then they dramatically change the format. Personally, I think there is some value to the regional approach but I can't help but saying that they made a mistake when they moved it from UNI and had all the divisions in one place. The fans loved it and I think and many people were willing to go for the chance to not only see teams like Iowa or Okie State but teams like Wartburg and Ausgburg.

The bottom line is creating interest and drawing casual fans will come from first, telling stories about the athletes or teams, kinda like the nfl training camp show, hardknocks and guys wrestling exciting matches.

This is old news. TOM broke the story yesterday.

It's good that they didn't rush into this. Now they can go back and actually take their time and come up with a good plan. As well as include all the coaches in the discussion.

This is old news. TOM broke the story yesterday.

It's good that they didn't rush into this. Now they can go back and actually take their time and come up with a good plan. As well as include all the coaches in the discussion.

Not if the coaches don't want to be included in the discussion. The rest of the article " ... the NWCA was only doing what they were charged to do, so it was a bit troubling to see that some coaches, Cael included, were so vehemently against the proposal at such a later date".

Scribe I get that Koll has been one of the most outspoken guys against Iowa suggesting that Iowa should attend the duals so that their fans would come. However, I never have heard Koll make a point to Cornell fans that they need to be 9k strong at the nationals duals. I dn't think that Cornell is even averaging 5k for their home duals.

As a person with 2 kids in college now and 1 on the way. I am certainly interested seeing more opportunities for the sport to have exposure.

So before you decide you want to question my intelligence put your money up. I will put my money up just getting wrestling on tv would solve the problem becuase we can do that w/o putting the individual tournament at risk.

I still think that the dual format is the way collegiate wrestling needs to go in the future. One thing I will agree with from Sanderson, Brands, etc is that usually, these things are issued 4-5 years in advance with a concrete plan in place. Give teams time to understand what the changes are and recruit to build their team accordingly. Even as a supporter of the idea, it seems to quick to make such drastic changes with a loosely formed plan and little notice.

The NCAA Tournament is one event. Yes, it's fantastic. But if we want to remain relevant into the future, we're going to have to have more than one well-attended event per season.

Scribe I get that Koll has been one of the most outspoken guys against Iowa suggesting that Iowa should attend the duals so that their fans would come.

If you listen to what Koll and other supporters are saying, this is about MUCH more than Iowa. Koll has shown himself to be a pretty savvy promoter of the sport, and that fact that he, and others like Brian Smith, J. Rob, Mark Cody, et alia are on board certainly has my attention. To suggest they are all motivated by some agenda other than what is in the long term interest of the sport is not really credible, IMO.

Scribe I get that Koll has been one of the most outspoken guys against Iowa suggesting that Iowa should attend the duals so that their fans would come. However, I never have heard Koll make a point to Cornell fans that they need to be 9k strong at the nationals duals. I dn't think that Cornell is even averaging 5k for their home duals.

As a person with 2 kids in college now and 1 on the way. I am certainly interested seeing more opportunities for the sport to have exposure.

So before you decide you want to question my intelligence put your money up. I will put my money up just getting wrestling on tv would solve the problem becuase we can do that w/o putting the individual tournament at risk.

I don't question your intelligence as much as I question your ability to understand the situation. The idea that Koll wants to get at Brands over this is... (fill in the blank).

Cornell probably doesn't average more than 2000 per dual. Mainly because they schedule some teams that definitely don't have the following, nor do they offer up many exciting individual matches. So for these, Cornell hosts them in the Friedman Center, which has limited capacity.

I do recall a time at EIWA's where I found myself in the Cornell section hollering loudly at a cornell wrestler upset. While the other old timer fans (about 30 or so) were delighted, they looked at me like I had three heads (I might). Cornell wrestling has come a long way on all fronts in a very short while, and I am particularly proud they are trying to support some meaningful improvements to the dual meet schedule.

I could guarantee you that Cornell isn't averaging 5,000 for their home duals. Their larger facility (the one used by the basketball team) only seats 4,473!

I believe the Big10 coaches didn't even receive a copy of the proposal until Aug 28 and were expected to only have until Aug 30th to decide.

I guess 3 days is all a college coach needs for such a major decision.

And I guess it was a last minute surprise the end of last month; when the coaches association broke National Duals off from the UNI dome-multiple division format to try an D1 division regionals and finals tournament last season with multiple years planning ahead of that?

"Birds are chirping the NWCA is circling back with another slightly modified proposal to pass next week..unbelievable!! Hope Im hearing wrong" -From Cael Sanderson's twitter feed

No idea if this is true or not...just reposting what he said.

Shot / re-shot? If nothing else, I love the drama!

Personally....wrestling losing almost half their D1 programs in the last how many years while the most successfull coaches keep telling us how it has to be has been working real great for us so far.

I am still waiting for an expert in marketing and promotion to show up instead of listening to guys with phys ed degrees.

Personally....wrestling losing almost half their D1 programs in the last how many years while the most successfull coaches keep telling us how it has to be has been working real great for us so far.

I am still waiting for an expert in marketing and promotion to show up instead of listening to guys with phys ed degrees.

Sadly, you are right.

It was like when the wrestling community wanted Gable to write letters to save wrestling programs getting dropped. NO ONE OUTSIDE OF WRESTLING CARED WHO GABLE WAS. We are still down the same path and don't listen to casual fans outside the sport, those whose only job is marketing college sports (ESPN/NCAA), or any of the people that have built successful programs and fan followings without name recognition (Koll, B.Smith, Robinson).

But all is well in our sport. Nothing needs to be fixed. Iowa and Penn State are drawing fans and winning so why should we change? :roll:

Just because I dnt agree with it doesn't mean that I don't understand it. I believe the first priority is to increase average attendance at each school. The wrestling team at most schools is not out drawing womens basketball. NWCA should put together a number to each school that says we need your average attendance to be 5k per season. Then we need to work on a weekly television show in the local markets specifically for wrestling that tells the stories of the guys on the team and promote their JOURNEY. Finally, we need to make sure these programs are endowed and profitable so that wrestling is not taking a large portion of the athletic budget. Those things will support long term sustainability of wrestling at the college level.

Personally, I loved that fact that Koll bashed the Iowa fans and then a few months later Iowa City host the best Olympic Trials in history. I dn't associate what he has done with his team as being savy. He has been complaining instead of getting butts in the seats up at Cornell.

Sadly, you are right.

It was like when the wrestling community wanted Gable to write letters to save wrestling programs getting dropped. NO ONE OUTSIDE OF WRESTLING CARED WHO GABLE WAS. We are still down the same path and don't listen to casual fans outside the sport, those whose only job is marketing college sports (ESPN/NCAA), or any of the people that have built successful programs and fan followings without name recognition (Koll, B.Smith, Robinson).

But all is well in our sport. Nothing needs to be fixed. Iowa and Penn State are drawing fans and winning so why should we change? :roll:

Agree. I think there are valid points on both sides, but to say that things are fine is either disingenuous or delusional.

The fact that only 5-6 programs compete for the NCAA title every year for the last 30 years pretty much sums up the sport. We need to look for ways to improve without sacrificing the integrity of the sport. I think the concept behind the proposal fits the bill, it just needs more detail and a better timeline.

Tirapell, no disrespect but I am interested in hearing what happen to your team and why you guys didn't win. If I remember correctly you guys were highly ranked 1 or 2 of the years while you were at IL. and had a disappointing finish.

Honestly, I'm not bashing you or the program but you are one of a few guys that are willing to post on here with your name so your input is well respected. If you decide that you would rather not talk about your team I do understand because someone may take your comments the wrong way.

I dn't remember how you guys finished or even who won but I remember thinking that you guys might win it before nationals.