alabrake88

Any idea on Poulin transfer options?

Stevo Poulin at 125lb was a top recruit coming out of high school, redshirted last year at NC State and is has been in transfer portal typically top recruits like this get good amounts of coverage but I havent heard anything about it. Anyone with info? Thanks!

With the difficulty most schools have with finding a pretty solid 125 wresters, especially one they could be there multiple years I’m sure he has options.  Those options may not be the very top of his wish list with the offer he hopes to get but the options are definitely out there. 

Edited by MadMardigain

Strange question for a 125 lber but is he a full sized one or more more like Greg D from Cornell/Heinselman from Ohio State?

Never seen him actually wrestle other than the 8 year old Stevo wrestling.

1 hour ago, Spladle88 said:

Strange question for a 125 lber but is he a full sized one or more more like Greg D from Cornell/Heinselman from Ohio State?

He is undersized. It's his biggest problem. IMHO, his size is going to limit his success in college, even though he is very talented.

Edit: NCCA should consider bringing back the 118 pound weight class. Does anyone know why they dropped that weight class?

Edited by wrestleFan12

11 minutes ago, wrestleFan12 said:

He is undersized. It's his biggest problem. IMHO, his size is going to limit his success in college, even though he is very talented.

Edit: NCCA should consider bringing back the 118 pound weight class. Does anyone know why they dropped that weight class?

Long story short:  People died from over-cutting so they added 7lbs to every weight class - sans 285.

19 minutes ago, wrestleFan12 said:

They added 7 pounds like every other weight (other than 275+10) to have 1 hour weighins. They didn't drop it as much as adjusted it.

1 hour ago, wrestleFan12 said:

It’s hard enough finding guys that can hold 125 for 4 years. Let’s be clear, a healthy adult male weighing 118lbs is really rare. Trying to fill a roster across all the college divisions with guys that can make that weight sure as hell isn’t realistic…

30 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Not many programs need someone who had a great cement mixer in 3rd grade.

In addition to a good HS resume, he was 6-0 this year.  Didn’t really beat anyone of note but did beat Duke’s starter Agin.  Interestingly Agin beat Anthony Noto (guy who beat Hildebrandt) in 2021…didn’t realize Noto transferred out of NC State as well.

Edited by 1032004

20 hours ago, Spladle88 said:

I'm wondering about the size thing, as well. I could be wrong but I'm remembering him at 113 his last year in HS.

8 minutes ago, DanGerMan said:

I'm wondering about the size thing, as well. I could be wrong but I'm remembering him at 113 his last year in HS.

But that also can give him room to put in some decent muscle without having to worry about the hard cut most in the weight class deal with.  Smaller size 125s may end up needing an extra year or two in order to build into being really competitive at the NCAA level, but it’s doable.  Having access to a solid sports nutritionist and weight training coach can help with this if your willing to put in the time to develop correctly.  

Edited by MadMardigain

1 hour ago, DanGerMan said:

Looks like NY canceled the whole season in 2020-2021, but Journeymen had a “state championships” which Poulin won at 126.

21 hours ago, Idaho said:

You probably should catch up with the rest of his career. You’re not a world team member with a 3rd grade cement mixer. 

Was meant as a joke.....but if those youtube videos from 3rd grade didn't go viral, would he even be mentioned on this message board?

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Looks like NY canceled the whole season in 2020-2021, but Journeymen had a “state championships” which Poulin won at 126.

You're right. It was the 2019 - 2020 season that he wrestled 113.

11 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Was meant as a joke.....but if those youtube videos from 3rd grade didn't go viral, would he even be mentioned on this message board?

Definitely not in the same sort of manner.

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Yep - we talk about nc state , world team members and top high school recruits all the time. 

Ok buddy. You're right - we're always talking about NC state back-ups here; no need to post links to all the citations.

I get that you've got a thing for Poulin, but the college ranks are littered with grade school and high school studs who just aren't meant for the collegiate level.