alabrake88

Any idea on Poulin transfer options?

7 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Ok buddy. You're right - we're always talking about NC state back-ups here; no need to post links to all the citations.

I get that you've got a thing for Poulin, but the college ranks are littered with grade school and high school studs who just aren't meant for the collegiate level.

True but I think the portal has changed things a bit.  125 can be a hard weight to fill, so I think it would still be talked about.  There was a thread about Will Betancourt transferring to PSU for example…

And as I mentioned earlier apparently Anthony Noto was a transfer from NC State as well, and he was 31-3 as a redshirt freshman, so maybe we should be talking more about NC state backups.

9 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Poulin would be a good pickup for a lot of programs. What went wrong at NC State?

NC State is 3 deep at 125/133 each.  Just tough to break that lineup, I imagine.

10 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Ok buddy. You're right - we're always talking about NC state back-ups here; no need to post links to all the citations.

I get that you've got a thing for Poulin, but the college ranks are littered with grade school and high school studs who just aren't meant for the collegiate level.

Nope...not a fan of NC State or a Poulin fan ... no dog in the fight at all.... Not sure why you are so anti-Poulin - a kid who earned his way to D1 and had a pretty decent redshirt year so far before going into the portal. I don't have to prove anything about him.... you do.  So please prove your point that he is nothing but an 8 year old video star and not meant for the collegiate level. 

10 hours ago, nhs67 said:

NC State is 3 deep at 125/133 each.  Just tough to break that lineup, I imagine.

I think he ended up being off the roster completely before the end of the season, so not sure if there could’ve been more to it than that…

11 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I think he ended up being off the roster completely before the end of the season, so not sure if there could’ve been more to it than that…

Yah word is that he wasn't necessarily given the choice of continuing as a part of the NC state program.  

Edited by Dartsingle

On 4/1/2022 at 6:44 PM, MSU158 said:

It’s hard enough finding guys that can hold 125 for 4 years. Let’s be clear, a healthy adult male weighing 118lbs is really rare. Trying to fill a roster across all the college divisions with guys that can make that weight sure as hell isn’t realistic…

They had that weight class in collegiate wrestling for a while, so it seems like it's feasible (or at least it was). In professional boxing, they've had a 118 pound weight class (bantamweight) for more than 100 years, and counting. Some dudes are just small. I realize that weight class is very unlikely to ever come back in collegiate wrestling, but Greg D., Stevo Poulin, and Kurt McHenry would instantly add legitimacy to a 118 pound weight class (and given their size, I could see them being there for 4 years).

1 minute ago, wrestleFan12 said:

They had that weight class in collegiate wrestling for a while, so it seems like it's feasible (or at least it was). In professional boxing, they've had a 118 pound weight class (bantamweight) for more than 100 years, and counting. Some dudes are just small. I realize that weight class is very unlikely to ever come back in collegiate wrestling, but Greg D., Stevo Poulin, and Kurt McHenry would instantly add legitimacy to a 118 pound weight class (and given their size, I could see them being there for 4 years).

It isn't that there aren't a few that can do it.  But, imagine it across DI, DII, DIII, NAIA and Junior College.  You are going to just add a weight for DI and not the others.  Even if you did just DI, how many top recruits are seniors easily making 112 or 119?   The average HEALTHY adult male just doesn't weigh that little.

As I said, it is hard enough to roster up 125 across all the divisions.  Adding 118 to the mix would be a logistical nightmare for most coaches.  I mean, it would be the equivalent of an average high school coach just trying to fill 103 and they actually have the luxury of being able to find 14 year olds that can still be healthy that light.  Even then, a large part of the time they are happy with a warm body at the weight, even if he can't wrestle a lick.

Even with the above said, you still have Title IX compliance, scholarship limits and roster limits.  I just don't see how it would work out for more than a very select few wrestlers...