Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

What is a Volunteer Assistant Coach?

From what I’ve gathered a volunteer isn’t getting paid with University money.  So if they are taking a pay of some sort it is through a club, alumni, fundraiser, or other method.  I’m not sure with the regulations how some type of RTC hire would work into this or not.    

Edited by MadMardigain

14 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

From what I’ve gathered a volunteer isn’t getting paid with University money.  So if they are taking a pay of some sort it is through a club, alumni, fundraiser, or other method.  I’m not sure with the regulations how some type of RTC hire would work into this or not.    

Correct. An RTC is just a club as far as financial association with a school goes.

24 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Correct. An RTC is just a club as far as financial association with a school goes.

Yeah, I just wasn’t sure if registered RTC coaches were allowed to cross over into Volunteer Assistant statues though or if they were suppose to remain separate from school affiliation for some legal reason. By mentioning club earlier I was thinking more of running a connected youth club/academy as part of agreement to supplement living expenses while helping with the college program. 

Edited by MadMardigain

Schools can't pay the volunteers anything for any reason (not sure how camps fit into this picture other than possibly similar to how athletes can get paid for work performed) the schools can't pay the paid coaches anything for being club/RTC coaches. In the 90s, coach Turner came back as an assistant to latessa but he worked in the alumni office so he couldn't be the volunteer even if not paid for coaching. 

And as an aside, as I see it, no money can flow from the school to the club or vice versa other than for things like rental payment for facility usage.  If the club was to pay the school anything else it could be considered an affiliate entity like a alumni booster club which would then be an issue with the volunteer coach status.

Edited by gimpeltf

It's important to understand the reason for the limitation.   

It has historically been a compromise between schools with a lot of resources who wanted larger coaching staffs and schools with limited resources who can not afford expanded coaching staffs.   By allowing the use of a volunteer assistant it provides the opportunity to have an additional coach but doesn't burden schools that can't afford one.

It has been a way to be able to leverage local alumni (often younger recent graduates staying in the area) to stay involved with the program and coach which provides more opportunities for athletes and recent graduates.

And this isn't limited to wrestling.  The rule is in place for many different sports.

There was a recent baseball and softball proposal brought to the NCAA by the SEC to remove the volunteer coach and replace it with the ability to have a paid full-time assistant.  The SEC wanted to be able to use their money to attract more top flight coaches to their programs. 

The proposal failed.  Interestingly, the University of Oklahoma--a school with a lot of resources--was one of the schools that opposed the measure.  They have been very successful with getting quality unpaid volunteer coaches.

The volunteer coaching position has also been cited as increasing the turn over in coaching staffs which has been successful in giving more people opportunity to get college coaching experience which has allowed more people to get into coaching.  If those extra coaching positions around the country were filled with coaches who had long tenures then it would be even harder to break into coaching.  So the position actually helps youth and high school by getting people who have been mentored by top coaches that transition out of college coaching be able to lead others outside of college and professional coaching. 

Lot of "volunteer coaches"  at the DI level make more money then head coaches at Non DI level,  which is also why some of the smaller divisions see such high turnover.  Can't make a living when you are being killed.