Riz23

Wyatt Henson

4 hours ago, TheHeel said:

I bet you his daddy wants to be on staff somewhere. Look for him to land somewhere with a vacancy at lightweight coach or with a good RTC position available. 

Sam is running a successful wrestling school in Mid-Missouri and just built a new facility there. I doubt he's looking for a coaching gig outside of the one he already has. 

20 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

It was also liked by Nelson Brands and a bunch of current Hawks. Friends supporting friends. 

I wonder what something like this does to morale and loyalty on a team.

Obviously anyone can transfer in at any time, and the guys know that.  No one would expect the coaches to say "no, don't come here, that weight's taken." But when there's an active recruiting war and talk of NIL money being thrown around, all to bring in a guy to supplant a blue chip recruit who had an outstanding redshirt season?  You see that happen to a hardworking teammate, and that's got to tell you that the loyalty runs only one way.  

If you could poll Henson's teammates, I wonder what they'd say about how they feel about this?  More excited, or more betrayed?

1 hour ago, BAC said:

I wonder what something like this does to morale and loyalty on a team.

Obviously anyone can transfer in at any time, and the guys know that.  No one would expect the coaches to say "no, don't come here, that weight's taken." But when there's an active recruiting war and talk of NIL money being thrown around, all to bring in a guy to supplant a blue chip recruit who had an outstanding redshirt season?  You see that happen to a hardworking teammate, and that's got to tell you that the loyalty runs only one way.  

If you could poll Henson's teammates, I wonder what they'd say about how they feel about this?  More excited, or more betrayed?

Honestly my comment was more sarcasm, but I don't see how anyone could blame him.

Not to sound like a PSU fan because I'm definitely not, but I do think it's interesting that you have Henson, an unproven redshirt, entering the portal literally the day after Woods commits, meanwhile PSU has an All American on the bench due to a transfer that has shown no indication of wanting to transfer.

9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Not to sound like a PSU fan because I'm definitely not, but I do think it's interesting that you have Henson, an unproven redshirt, entering the portal literally the day after Woods commits, meanwhile PSU has an All American on the bench due to a transfer that has shown no indication of wanting to transfer.

I think that is interesting too.  There's outward similarities to what happened to Beard and Henson, but I suspect the difference lies in details in the two situations that we aren't privy to.  I would think there's a difference between your coaches actively recruiting and incentivizing someone to transfer in to take your spot, as opposed to your coaches merely not saying no when someone expresses interest in transferring in.  I have my suspicious of which is which here, but I don't really know.  I do think that coaches need to learn to be very careful in how they approach transfer situations so their existing recruits, who have put in the time and sweat, don't feel like fungible afterthoughts.

1 hour ago, steen-hooph said:

Sam is running a successful wrestling school in Mid-Missouri and just built a new facility there. I doubt he's looking for a coaching gig outside of the one he already has. 

Rolling stones tend to roll. 

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I relate to Henson decision.  I can't wrap my head around why Beard would stick around to remain a backup but I'm sure he has his reasons 

RTC $$$

3 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I relate to Henson decision.  I can't wrap my head around why Beard would stick around to remain a backup but I'm sure he has his reasons 

Carl has built a wrestling culture that is transcends competition - look no further than Snyder talking about it and showcased in his trip with Sadulaev who by all intents and purposes should be the person he despises most. It’s what keeps guys like the Nevills and Beard around when they could be AAs elsewhere. Nothing wrong with a good workplace culture.

20 hours ago, flyingcement said:

It could be any number of things.  Academics, family, girlfriend, culture, etc. Sure, it could be RTC money, but all of this is speculation. 

On 4/5/2022 at 2:46 PM, ShakaAloha said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.  Sammy is a 2x NCAA Champ, Olympic Silver, and World Champ.  He has better credentials that 99% of the guys coaching in Div. I.  

True but that doesn't make you a good coach, and I'm not saying Sammie is a bad coach but he did do a terrible job at West Virginia when he had his chance

On 4/5/2022 at 3:45 PM, TheHeel said:

Rolling stones tend to roll. 

Point taken, but with the new facility just built, rolling on might be a little more difficult with the investment made. I'm not close to the situation beyond being a Missouri resident, which only puts me physically close. Just musing from afar. I know he's got some tough kids though. 

On 4/4/2022 at 12:10 PM, RoosterAttack said:

Highly doubt it they have there 141 of the future who beat there ncaa finalist this year in the wrestle off

When and who was that?

Kizhan Clarke beat Wil Guida at 141 pounds in the pre-season wrestle-offs, 7-3.

On 4/10/2022 at 4:32 AM, Jim L said:

Why would NLWC spend their $$$ on a backup? 

Keep away from another program, or a training partner for KS, DT, etc.  The better question is how much money Beard got to give up two years of eligibility?

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Well, I suppose FYI:

- Senior Freestyle (Division)

- 61kg (Weight)

- Wyatt Henson (Name)

- Missouri (State)

- Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club (Club)

~134.5lbs, so who needs a 133lber?

M I Z

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Well, I suppose FYI:

- 61kg (Weight)

- Wyatt Henson (Name)

- Missouri (State)

If Henson plans on going 133, does that mean he didn’t transfer because of Woods and instead it was just weird timing? I would have to think he would have been competitive with Schriever. 

11 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Well, I suppose FYI:

- 61kg (Weight)

- Wyatt Henson (Name)

- Missouri (State)

Iowa?