Riz23

Wyatt Henson

11 hours ago, mlbruem said:

M I Z

That is the state, but yes I do agree, Mizzou needs a 133lber.

12 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

If Henson plans on going 133, does that mean he didn’t transfer because of Woods and instead it was just weird timing? I would have to think he would have been competitive with Schriever. 

He may have just been having issues, period.  Doesn't mean he wasn't beating Schriever or holding his own.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Iowa?

In Schriever we trust, yeah?

3 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

No disrespect to him, but if he's the starter, Iowa's not getting much production out of 133

Probably true of Henson this year, too, though.  133 was unlikely to be points for Iowa no matter what.

21 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

No disrespect to him, but if he's the starter, Iowa's not getting much production out of 133

He made Desanto frustrated enough.  I imagine that was familiarity?

10 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He made Desanto frustrated enough.  I imagine that was familiarity?

I would say so, especially when you compare that loss to his losses to Foley and Byrd, who are not better than ADS.

20 hours ago, nhs67 said:

In Schriever we trust, yeah?

I guess they do, but if Henson wrestles 133 somewhere else this year, that must mean he didn’t transfer because of Woods.

Edited by 1032004

8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

The weird thing is Henson is still listed as Hawkeye commit in his Twitter bio and his pinned tweet is about being a Hawkeye, and his IG says Iowa '25.  Not claiming anything from it, just odd.

The kid isn't that active on Twitter and probably doesn't update his profile info or pinned tweets often. 

1 minute ago, BobDole said:

The kid isn't that active on Twitter and probably doesn't update his profile info or pinned tweets often. 

Sure.  Like I said, not making a claim, I think he's leaving.  But he took the time to post on both that he was leaving, but didn't change either.  Just thought it was weird.

1 minute ago, ShakaAloha said:

Roman Bravo-Young and Daton Fix would beg to differ

Fix has beat him consistently every time.  Could argue that RBY became familiar, but he improved relative to everyone after his freshman year.  Bottom line,  both are demonstrably better than Desanto.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Fix has beat him consistently every time.  Could argue that RBY became familiar, but he improved relative to everyone after his freshman year.  Bottom line,  both are demonstrably better than Desanto.

Fix' win over ADS in the Bout at the Ballpark dual was more dominant than his 2021 and 2019 wins over ADS.

RBY's wins over ADS this season were clearly an improvement over their 2019 matches, but he has pretty much had ADS' number since 2020.

16 hours ago, Stl said:

Hart is at 141

Yeah, I know.  I see Henson at 141.  If he could make 133 next year, he would be a great fit for the Tigers.  

MU is really putting together a squad that could challenge for a national title in a few years.  

44 minutes ago, smsu150 said:

Yeah, I know.  I see Henson at 141.  If he could make 133 next year, he would be a great fit for the Tigers.  

MU is really putting together a squad that could challenge for a national title in a few years.  

Gotcha, I was originally thinking Henson would go 141 as well, but from this thread and Henson going 61kg for the US Open, it makes me think he'll go 133 this coming year (and maybe 141 further down the line). That would be huge for Mizzou if he transferred. And to your point about Mizzou's squad in the future, their lineup in 2024 (when the NCAA tournament is in Kansas City) could look like the following.

125: Noah Surtin
133: Zeke Seltzer?
141: Wyatt Henson
149: Josh Edmond
157: Brock Mauller
165: Keegan O'Toole
174: Peyton Mocco
184: Jeremiah Kent/Colton Hawks
197: Rocky Elam
285: Zach Elam

16 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Fix' win over ADS in the Bout at the Ballpark dual was more dominant than his 2021 and 2019 wins over ADS.

RBY's wins over ADS this season were clearly an improvement over their 2019 matches, but he has pretty much had ADS' number since 2020.

Still, neither is really about becoming “familiar” with is pressure. Fix is simply the only other guy at 133 with the necessary physicality and skill to weather it. Meanwhile RBY is athletic enough to avoid it for much of the matches and employed a very smart and unique tactic for much of that time. 

55 minutes ago, Stl said:

Gotcha, I was originally thinking Henson would go 141 as well, but from this thread and Henson going 61kg for the US Open, it makes me think he'll go 133 this coming year (and maybe 141 further down the line). That would be huge for Mizzou if he transferred. And to your point about Mizzou's squad in the future, their lineup in 2024 (when the NCAA tournament is in Kansas City) could look like the following.

125: Noah Surtin
133: Zeke Seltzer?
141: Wyatt Henson
149: Josh Edmond
157: Brock Mauller
165: Keegan O'Toole
174: Peyton Mocco
184: Jeremiah Kent/Colton Hawks
197: Rocky Elam
285: Zach Elam

I don't see that team challenging for a trophy, let alone winning.

23 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I don't see that team challenging for a trophy, let alone winning.

You've got three champion contenders in mauller, otoole and "little" elam alone. Not contending for a trophy seems like a pretty uninformed take.

13 minutes ago, Perry said:

You've got three champion contenders in mauller, otoole and "little" elam alone. Not contending for a trophy seems like a pretty uninformed take.

I'd say you have one and two solid AAs. 

I don't see a lot of room for improvement out of the rest of their lineup.

I think ~60-65 pts is probably their ceiling. That said, looking at previous team scores, ~65 can get you 4th place, which I always forget is a team trophy in wrestling.

15 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I'd say you have one and two solid AAs. 

I don't see a lot of room for improvement out of the rest of their lineup.

I think ~60-65 pts is probably their ceiling. That said, looking at previous team scores, ~65 can get you 4th place, which I always forget is a team trophy in wrestling.

One or two solid AA's? Mizzou would have 3 returning multiple-time AA's in Mauller, Rocky Elam, and Keegan O'Toole. Not to mention Surtin, Mocco, and Zach Elam who have all been 1 win away from AA'ing. I don't think they'll win the tournament, but to say they won't even challenge for a trophy is just asinine.

2 minutes ago, Stl said:

One or two solid AA's? Mizzou would have 3 returning multiple-time AA's in Mauller, Rocky Elam, and Keegan O'Toole. Not to mention Surtin, Mocco, and Zach Elam who have all been 1 win away from AA'ing. I don't think they'll win the tournament, but to say they won't even challenge for a trophy is just asinine.

One championship contender (O'Toole) and two solid AAs. Read what I wrote. I was addressing Perry's points, where he said "three championship contenders". Context. It matters.

Then, in the same post, I wrote that I always forget that 4th is a team trophy, and with 65 points, they could hit 4th, maybe.

Mauller at 157 =/= Mauller at 149.  He clearly did not have enough horse when he went 157 at the Scuffle.

Going up in weight matters more when mat wrestling is taken into account.  He does well at 70.  Even though 157 is 'only' three pounds heavier, he doesn't scale well to 157 - as of now.