Riz23

Wyatt Henson

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Mauller at 157 =/= Mauller at 149.  He clearly did not have enough horse when he went 157 at the Scuffle.

Going up in weight matters more when mat wrestling is taken into account.  He does well at 70.  Even though 157 is 'only' three pounds heavier, he doesn't scale well to 157 - as of now.

Brock can't make 149 anymore?  Or the coaches won't let him wrestle at that weight because they have Edmond?

1 minute ago, ShakaAloha said:

Brock can't make 149 anymore?  Or the coaches won't let him wrestle at that weight because they have Edmond?

He was just in redshirt, I believe.  Edmond will shirt next year and Brock will be 149.  Hart - Mauller - Jacques is their best 141 - 149 - 157 option they have right now.

Keep in mind that Edmond was a 141lber wrestling up for the team.  He could very well go 141 after Hart graduates.  Henson may flat out just not have a spot in a Mizzou lineup, unless it is at 133.

This said, I hope Brown can fill out a bit for 133.

Also, keep in mind that I believe his projection of Mauller at 157 was for the year after next, so 2024 NCAAs.  If Mauller were to intend to give a go at an Olympic weight, I imagine it would be 74kg, so 157 would make sense there.  I just don't think he can do Folkstyle 157 near as effective as he does Freestyle 70 KG.  This all said, in two years, who says Henson can't be 149?  I would take Edmond over him right now.  They have no common opponents currently, but wrestlestat agrees, although it would be competitive via 8 - 6 Decision.

28 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He was just in redshirt, I believe.  Edmond will shirt next year and Brock will be 149.  Hart - Mauller - Jacques is their best 141 - 149 - 157 option they have right now.

Keep in mind that Edmond was a 141lber wrestling up for the team.  He could very well go 141 after Hart graduates.  Henson may flat out just not have a spot in a Mizzou lineup, unless it is at 133.

This said, I hope Brown can fill out a bit for 133.

Also, keep in mind that I believe his projection of Mauller at 157 was for the year after next, so 2024 NCAAs.  If Mauller were to intend to give a go at an Olympic weight, I imagine it would be 74kg, so 157 would make sense there.  I just don't think he can do Folkstyle 157 near as effective as he does Freestyle 70 KG.  This all said, in two years, who says Henson can't be 149?  I would take Edmond over him right now.  They have no common opponents currently, but wrestlestat agrees, although it would be competitive via 8 - 6 Decision.

Agree with the Hart/Mauller/Jacques line-up for next year.  Has Henson made a decision on where he is going yet?  I would think he would want a school where he has a clear path to starting.  If so, Mizzou might not be the place.

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

Agree with the Hart/Mauller/Jacques line-up for next year.  Has Henson made a decision on where he is going yet?  I would think he would want a school where he has a clear path to starting.  If so, Mizzou might not be the place.

I think Henson is trying to use the Open as a springboard.

It could work brilliantly, like Ragusin or Young... or not.

On 4/15/2022 at 2:04 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Jacques at 157 seems to have plateaued. I get he’s a multiple time qualifier, but he’s definitely not winning or improving as much as the others. Idk what the record is for most losses by 1-2 points one can have, but he’s definitely at the top. To wrestle so many close matches and not win has to be frustrating to him as well as the fans. 133 and 157 are holes we need to address in order to compete for a trophy. 

1 hour ago, Mizzoufan01 said:

Jacques at 157 seems to have plateaued. I get he’s a multiple time qualifier, but he’s definitely not winning or improving as much as the others. Idk what the record is for most losses by 1-2 points one can have, but he’s definitely at the top. To wrestle so many close matches and not win has to be frustrating to him as well as the fans. 133 and 157 are holes we need to address in order to compete for a trophy. 

That doesn't change the fact that Hart - Mauller - Jacques is better next year than what Hart - Edmond - Mauller would be.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

That doesn't change the fact that Hart - Mauller - Jacques is better next year than what Hart - Edmond - Mauller would be.

I see your point, but a whole off season for both Josh and Brock to grow into 149/157 my opinion would be better. I have no doubt Mauller even if a little undersized would have a better performance  than Jacques. What hurts Mizzou is I don’t think we have a legit 157 coming in unless it’s the 4x champ we just got from Oklahoma. 

6 minutes ago, Mizzoufan01 said:

I see your point, but a whole off season for both Josh and Brock to grow into 149/157 my opinion would be better. I have no doubt Mauller even if a little undersized would have a better performance  than Jacques. What hurts Mizzou is I don’t think we have a legit 157 coming in unless it’s the 4x champ we just got from Oklahoma. 

Fair points.  The 157 Mauller we saw at Scuffle wasn't a committed 157lber, which is fair to say.

I also think that Edmond is a 141lber, like Barlett.  He could do something better and special at 141, rather than be undersized at 149.  He is small, a small frame.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Fair points.  The 157 Mauller we saw at Scuffle wasn't a committed 157lber, which is fair to say.

I also think that Edmond is a 141lber, like Barlett.  He could do something better and special at 141, rather than be undersized at 149.  He is small, a small frame.

Agree on Edmond 100%. Jacques still has a RS available. Will it get used, idk. What concerns me most is the amount of talent we have coming at 133-149 in last years and next years class. I know Covid year messed up the numbers, but Shepard, Crawford, Cross, McCalister, Hilton, Seltzer etc all trying to fit into 2/3 weights is crazy. We need some 157/165 guys. I trust Smith though so we will see how it shakes out. I will say I think Clayton Whitling and Seltzer will start next year. Unless Smith has them RS, but I think Whitling starts over Kent. 

On 4/14/2022 at 4:09 PM, VakAttack said:

Sure.  Like I said, not making a claim, I think he's leaving.  But he took the time to post on both that he was leaving, but didn't change either.  Just thought it was weird.

It's still up there on Twitter, there is hope in Hawkeyeland.

On 4/17/2022 at 4:24 PM, nhs67 said:

What about a Hart - Mauller - O'Toole - Mocco - Harman?  I'd heard that during O'Toole's freshman year they wanted him at 57 and Mocco at 65, but they wanted a spot for Jacques and Kent couldn't make 74 anymore, so O'Toole and Mocco bumped up.

Not sure this is even possible now that O'Toole and Mocco have lifted/grown into their existing weights.  It's just a shame to sit Harman (he did so well when Mocco was out) for "Take every match to OT and lose by a TD" Jacques...

1 hour ago, The_MO_Godfather said:

What about a Hart - Mauller - O'Toole - Mocco - Harman?  I'd heard that during O'Toole's freshman year they wanted him at 57 and Mocco at 65, but they wanted a spot for Jacques and Kent couldn't make 74 anymore, so O'Toole and Mocco bumped up.

Not sure this is even possible now that O'Toole and Mocco have lifted/grown into their existing weights.  It's just a shame to sit Harman (he did so well when Mocco was out) for "Take every match to OT and lose by a TD" Jacques...

Aye that was the word.  Askren was clamoring that he could have/would have won 157 as well.  Then after the season(and having been able to spend time with O'Toole in person) he changed his tune that O'Toole was never going below 74kg again.  He had gotten too big.  Keep in mind, Askren is against cutting, so that may simply mean that he now weighed 167lbs and now 162lbs and wrestling 165.

On 4/15/2022 at 9:45 AM, smsu150 said:

Yeah, I know.  I see Henson at 141.  If he could make 133 next year, he would be a great fit for the Tigers.  

MU is really putting together a squad that could challenge for a national title in a few years.  

Are people forgetting about Matt Schmidt at 133?  He did not wrestle this past season for the Tigers, but he is still listed on their roster.  He's a 2x qualifier, and was the #6 seed at 133 before the tourny was cancelled in 2021.

1 minute ago, KCMO2 said:

Are people forgetting about Matt Schmidt at 133?  He did not wrestle this past season for the Tigers, but he is still listed on their roster.  He's a 2x qualifier, and was the #6 seed at 133 before the tourny was cancelled in 2021.

This video seemed to be a goodbye of sorts but who knows

2 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

This video seemed to be a goodbye of sorts but who knows

Damn, I missed that, that's too bad.  Was it the injury bug this year or something else?

On 4/15/2022 at 1:29 PM, nhs67 said:

Henson can go wherever he wants because of his last name. He doesn't have to do a damn thing at the open and he will still be the son of a world champ.

Now I see Henson has committed to Oklahoma. Good fit.

Edited by TheHeel

On 4/26/2022 at 12:57 PM, KCMO2 said:

I didn't know if he had any eligibility remaining.  The Covid year has me confused.   I thought Schmidt graduated high school in 2016. 

On 4/15/2022 at 10:29 AM, nhs67 said:

Did Henson compete this past weekend at the Open?  I didn't see him in the brackets for Senior or U20 at 61kg.