Riz23

Wyatt Henson

3 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Guess he didn't need to compete once he finalized his transfer destination

Honestly aside for a few matches I searched afterwards I kind of skipped the open.

It was disappointing to see the brackets and so many people not show up 

Add in the 5 day ban and I had no way to voice my displeasures to all my friends here.

I went kayaking Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  It was great.

22 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but man the backside forfeits are off-putting.

There is no benefit to wrestling those matches. The goal for these guys is the world team trials. What do they gain by wrestling back? If you put some cash prizes for the medalists, I bet we wouldn't see as many forfeits. 

2 hours ago, TheHeel said:

There is no benefit to wrestling those matches. The goal for these guys is the world team trials. What do they gain by wrestling back? If you put some cash prizes for the medalists, I bet we wouldn't see as many forfeits. 

Sure, there's no direct benefit to them.  But this is an entertainment product, and people pay money to go and see matches.  If matches don't happen...people will stop going.

4 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Sure, there's no direct benefit to them.  But this is an entertainment product, and people pay money to go and see matches.  If matches don't happen...people will stop going.

are you crazy? nobody goes to the open to watch. 

23 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Honestly aside for a few matches I searched afterwards I kind of skipped the open.

It was disappointing to see the brackets and so many people not show up 

Add in the 5 day ban and I had no way to voice my displeasures to all my friends here.

I went kayaking Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  It was great.

Did you personally take a break from the board and call it a ban?  Or did you get banned by one of the mods?

1 minute ago, ShakaAloha said:

Did you personally take a break from the board and call it a ban?  Or did you get banned by one of the mods?

or maybe his smart phone fell in the river while kayaking    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Two factors at play:

1) Direct result of Final X, for better or worse. I'm of the "better camp" with quantitative results at the global level being the deciding factor. 

2) Competitors today versus even 15 years ago are on a significantly different competition path. Long gone are the days of the dozen or so studs who have gone year-round since grade school. Now, anyone who wants to sniff qualifying for NCAAs, much less WTT, has gone through a years-long nonstop grind of preseason folk, folk individual state, folk team postseason, freco, freco nationals, 1-2 months non-competition, preseason folk, folk individual state...

So current competitors have learned that load management is key and that a torn ACL risk on the backside isn't worth the minimal reward. After the first time or two at Fargo as kids, they learned the bigger picture in the current landscape. They truly know better than any of us keyboard warriors on this particular event; NCAA conferences are a different, albeit similar, subject and have been discussed ad nauseum.

15 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Two factors at play:

1) Direct result of Final X, for better or worse. I'm of the "better camp" with quantitative results at the global level being the deciding factor. 

2) Competitors today versus even 15 years ago are on a significantly different competition path. Long gone are the days of the dozen or so studs who have gone year-round since grade school. Now, anyone who wants to sniff qualifying for NCAAs, much less WTT, has gone through a years-long nonstop grind of preseason folk, folk individual state, folk team postseason, freco, freco nationals, 1-2 months non-competition, preseason folk, folk individual state...

So current competitors have learned that load management is key and that a torn ACL risk on the backside isn't worth the minimal reward. After the first time or two at Fargo as kids, they learned the bigger picture in the current landscape. They truly know better than any of us keyboard warriors on this particular event; NCAA conferences are a different, albeit similar, subject and have been discussed ad nauseum.

Sure.  But again, this is an entertainment product.  I pay to watch wrestling.  If the athletes don't want to compete, that's fine, but then it's also a fan's right to not want to watch.  How would people react if the backside at NCAAs was a wasteland of forfeits?  We don't have the right to force the athletes to do anything, but if they're voluntarily not wrestling, we as fans have the right not to watch or support them.

51 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

And so it shall ever be if the athletes don't give them a reason to watch.

Some guys wrestle out the backside of the world team trials. I respect that. Injury defaults at the open level do not bother me nearly as much as what goes on at the college level for seeding purposes. 

7 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

Some guys wrestle out the backside of the world team trials. I respect that. Injury defaults at the open level do not bother me nearly as much as what goes on at the college level for seeding purposes. 

Sure, you're free to have that opinion.  I don't begrudge you that.

2 hours ago, spladle08 said:
3 hours ago, nhs67 said:
Got in trouble.

It's happens brother. Just can't imagine you going off the rails. Trying to decide if it was political or Kyle Dake related ... Eh well. Glad you're back

Trolling a troll did me in this time.

On 5/6/2022 at 12:22 PM, VakAttack said:

Sure.  But again, this is an entertainment product.  I pay to watch wrestling.  If the athletes don't want to compete, that's fine, but then it's also a fan's right to not want to watch.  How would people react if the backside at NCAAs was a wasteland of forfeits?  We don't have the right to force the athletes to do anything, but if they're voluntarily not wrestling, we as fans have the right not to watch or support them.

They don’t call it the Wasteland Invitational for nothing