Scorenomore

Who else does Iowa need to overtake PSU?

If Iowa/donors decided to pay big $$$ for Real Woods to keep a stranglehold on second place, is there an ace up the sleeve for another transfer?  At big tens I heard a rumor that O'Toole is a potential transfer to Iowa.  I thought the rumor at the time was absurd and still do.

But why spend so much donor money for second place.  Seems to me that there has to be another push to get someone to man 157 or some other lineup shift.  Can Kennedy go 157 and make room for O'Toole?  Other transfers that could help?  Even with Woods, the gap is wide.

18 minutes ago, Scorenomore said:

If Iowa/donors decided to pay big $$$ for Real Woods to keep a stranglehold on second place, is there an ace up the sleeve for another transfer?  At big tens I heard a rumor that O'Toole is a potential transfer to Iowa.  I thought the rumor at the time was absurd and still do.

But why spend so much donor money for second place.  Seems to me that there has to be another push to get someone to man 157 or some other lineup shift.  Can Kennedy go 157 and make room for O'Toole?  Other transfers that could help?  Even with Woods, the gap is wide.

O'Toole to Iowa? I would eat a shoe 

I'm not sure if there's a single transfer that could put Iowa in contention with PSU. The gap appears too wide at this point with all the unproven wrestlers stepping in. I don't even know who their 157 will be!

The O'Toole rumor has been bouncing around since last year, but allof my "sources' (using the term loosely) haven't indicated there's any substance to it. Seems like it's more of an Iowa fans wishful thinking.

A wrestler like O'Toole or David Carr (neither of these is happening) would be needed to even make it a conversation, and I still think Iowa is short in that scenario, unless RBY doesn't come back.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

If, as you casually suggest, Iowa donors are paying big money for get Real Woods to attend, that would be blatant NCAA violation. What am I missing?

10 minutes ago, RandolphJones said:

High Schoolers need to be very cognizant when considering Iowa as their school of choice. Much subterfuge involved to get the best wrestler on the mat without having a dedication to your own. Risky.  

Didn't that happen at PSU as well with Dean over Beard and Kerk over Nevills?

25 minutes ago, NJDan said:

If, as you casually suggest, Iowa donors are paying big money for get Real Woods to attend, that would be blatant NCAA violation. What am I missing?

With NIL as long as it’s not “university money” people can do whatever they want.

switching sports but football alumni and donors are openly giving kids 7 figure NIL guarantees for 4 years. 

15 minutes ago, Bozak2018 said:

Didn't that happen at PSU as well with Dean over Beard and Kerk over Nevills?

Yes, happens everywhere actually but way more of a commonality in Iowa City. Rumors always running rampant as well because of this reputation, can't be easy on the "recruits"

28 minutes ago, NJDan said:

2 minutes ago, Riz23 said:

With NIL as long as it’s not “university money” people can do whatever they want.

switching sports but football alumni and donors are openly giving kids 7 figure NIL guarantees for 4 years. 

Yep.  If you have seen the movie "Blue Chips", basically all of those violations would now be perfectly fine as long as the IRS was notified of the exact amount of cash in that brown paper bag.  Remember, NIL stands for Name, Image and Likeness.  Meaning you are allowed to capitalize on your fame/popularity/notoriety while being a student athlete, just as long as the funds aren't directly from the University.

Now, the actual point of it was to help in a business format. You aren't SUPPOSED to be making ANY money simply for being a student athlete at said University.  The earnings are essentially paid to you for helping a business make money due to your Name, Image or Likeness. Say Nike is selling your jersey number and name at Foot Locker.  With the right contract, bam, you get paid.  Johny's Fine Used Automobiles in El Paso Texas can use UTEP's QB's image and likeness on their billboard to sell cars and pay him for letting that happen.

Obviously, you hope Alumni and boosters are actually making deals along these line.  Even if it isn't profitable, the right contract for payment at least eliminates the grey areas that will inevitably bring forth investigations and eventual sanctions, even with the new rules.

9 hours ago, VakAttack said:

The O'Toole rumor has been bouncing around since last year, but allof my "sources' (using the term loosely) haven't indicated there's any substance to it. Seems like it's more of an Iowa fans wishful thinking.

A wrestler like O'Toole or David Carr (neither of these is happening) would be needed to even make it a conversation, and I still think Iowa is short in that scenario, unless RBY doesn't come back.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

No RBY for PSU and + O'Toole or Carr for Iowa, I think that may put them over the top.   But not happening of course.  Maybe RBY will transfer to Iowa?? kidding

7 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

No RBY for PSU and + O'Toole or Carr for Iowa, I think that may put them over the top.   But not happening of course.  Maybe RBY will transfer to Iowa?? kidding

this would be one of the funniest things to ever happen in college wrestling

I am probably in the minority on this one, but this whole NIL thing is bad for college wrestling. I understand that wrestlers have a right to make money off of their own name, image and likeness and I agree with that. However, now it's just going to become a free-agency of college wrestling. Put  your name in the portal - negotiate the best deal and go there. Unfortunately this will make the rich, richer. It will be sad to see good, hard working staffs develop talent at medium tier schools then have them plucked away. For the poster who want's to say "where have you been? This has already been happening." True.... but not the extent that we will see this.  I think this could be dangerous ground for the teams that can't keep up with NIL financially. 

38 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Yes, a scenario with RBY transferring to Iowa (again, we all know this isn't happening, lol) would shift the balance for next year.  But I don't know if there's any one additional transfer in the country that would definitively put them over the top if RBY is back in the blue and white.

55 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Yep.  If you have seen the movie "Blue Chips", basically all of those violations would now be perfectly fine as long as the IRS was notified of the exact amount of cash in that brown paper bag.  Remember, NIL stands for Name, Image and Likeness.  Meaning you are allowed to capitalize on your fame/popularity/notoriety while being a student athlete, just as long as the funds aren't directly from the University.

Now, the actual point of it was to help in a business format. You aren't SUPPOSED to be making ANY money simply for being a student athlete at said University.  The earnings are essentially paid to you for helping a business make money due to your Name, Image or Likeness. Say Nike is selling your jersey number and name at Foot Locker.  With the right contract, bam, you get paid.  Johny's Fine Used Automobiles in El Paso Texas can use UTEP's QB's image and likeness on their billboard to sell cars and pay him for letting that happen.

Obviously, you hope Alumni and boosters are actually making deals along these line.  Even if it isn't profitable, the right contract for payment at least eliminates the grey areas that will inevitably bring forth investigations and eventual sanctions, even with the new rules.

It's not just that the money can't be from the university. The athlete cannot be paid to play for a university by anyone. He can be paid for his NIL to advertise and promote a company or product. But if Iowa boosters paid Real to come to Iowa, that's illegal.

Of course RBY isn't going to Iowa, but he is currently on the fence of coming back to PSU. If PSU is having problems getting NIL deals through and Iowa has $200K to offer (rumored), why wouldn't Iowa make him an offer or ASU for that matter.

14 minutes ago, NJDan said:

It's not just that the money can't be from the university. The athlete cannot be paid to play for a university by anyone. He can be paid for his NIL to advertise and promote a company or product. But if Iowa boosters paid Real to come to Iowa, that's illegal.

I get what you are saying.  But, that is a VERY easily navigated grey area.  They don't flat out say, this money is for you coming to wrestle for Iowa.  They say, if you come to Iowa we can get you contracts to do commercials for Jiffy Lube or run such and such fundraiser for us for so much money.  All they need to do is word it correctly so that it falls under the correct purview.

Edited to add:  For additional clarity, all that needs to be done is identify the "service" the payments would be for in such a way that it is NOT becoming or staying an Iowa Student Athlete, but for some service outside of that realm.  Hell, you don't even have to show that it is profitable to you in any way.  Just that the payment isn't from the University nor is it for attending or being an athlete for the University.

Edited by MSU158

19 minutes ago, NJDan said:

;)   ;)

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

NJ Dan, the Name Image Likeness deals are here and they are used to pay athletes. Read here: https://nypost.com/2021/07/20/alabama-qb-is-making-ungodly-amounts-from-nil-deals/

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

I get what you are saying.  But, that is a VERY easily navigated grey area.  They don't flat out say, this money is for you coming to wrestle for Iowa.  They say, if you come to Iowa we can get you contracts to do commercials for Jiffy Lube or run such and such fundraiser for us for so much money.  All they need to do is word it correctly so that it falls under the correct purview.

Edited to add:  For additional clarity, all that needs to be done is identify the "service" the payments would be for in such a way that it is NOT becoming or staying an Iowa Student Athlete, but for some service outside of that realm.  Hell, you don't even have to show that it is profitable to you in any way.  Just that the payment isn't from the University nor is it for attending or being an athlete for the University.

Does a university compliance office have anything to do here?  Compliance will estimate your worth to work say a clinic or a camp off campus.  Now not all compliance offices are equal either.  If you ever hired current collegiate wrestlers to work a club practice or clinic, you quickly find that out.  I've seen PSU wrestlers get $750 for a day and I've seen a small private school wrestler whose compliance office said he was worth $35 for an hour and a half practice.

9 minutes ago, Boompa said:

Does a university compliance office have anything to do here?  Compliance will estimate your worth to work say a clinic or a camp off campus.  Now not all compliance offices are equal either.  If you ever hired current collegiate wrestlers to work a club practice or clinic, you quickly find that out.  I've seen PSU wrestlers get $750 for a day and I've seen a small private school wrestler whose compliance office said he was worth $35 for an hour and a half practice.

I would assume most would do the exact same thing they are doing now.  If it's University affiliated, they will police it how they normally do.  But, I don't see how they would even get involved in any NIL deals outside the University, unless something came across their desk that made it look otherwise...

3 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

I would assume most would do the exact same thing they are doing now.  If it's University affiliated, they will police it how they normally do.  But, I don't see how they would even get involved in any NIL deals outside the University, unless something came across their desk that made it look otherwise...

I'll be honest and admit that I haven't paid much attention to the whole NIL thing because I didn't think it was going to affect wrestling much.

But what is there to stop a big booster donating money to a club like say....M2 (which is already a rumor) and that money is used to pay current college wrestlers exorbitant amounts of money to work a practice a week?

12 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

133: RBY (he's tired of the Happy V & ready for a new grind)

149: Mauller (there' already a Mizzu to Iowa pipeline)

156: Carr (go east young man)

165: O'Toole (see 149)

174: Starocci (the kid is young & ready for a change)

197: Ferrari (comes with his own money & a new car)

285: The Gable (just double his WWE deal & he is in)

Go Big or Go Home!   this ^^ should be sufficient 

Edited by ionel