Hufarted

Mark Marinelli - Dad of Alex Marinelli?

I was looking through the bracket for the 1991 NCAA tournament when I saw a dude named Mark Marinelli won 4th place for Ohio State at 134 pounds. I know Alex Marinelli is from Ohio, and since wrestling is a "family business" I was wondering if Mark is related to Alex?? He'd be about the right age to be Alex's dad. 

4 minutes ago, Hufarted said:

I was looking through the bracket for the 1991 NCAA tournament when I saw a dude named Mark Marinelli won 4th place for Ohio State at 134 pounds. I know Alex Marinelli is from Ohio, and since wrestling is a "family business" I was wondering if Mark is related to Alex?? He'd be about the right age to be Alex's dad. 

Father is named Tony.

I wondered the same thing....they don't look anything alike though.  This reminded me of couple of great matches with Joey Gilbert, Mark Marinelli and Tom Brands.  Mike Chapman had just posted his top 30 greatest matches at NCAA's of all time in AWN.  After this tournament 1991 NCAA's @ Iowa, he came home and revised/added the Brands/Gilbert match to the list...the 2 matches with Marinelli were barn burners as well.

image.png.4f2abb33d20ac5b6d7b20f03d530069c.png

image.png.dd3e265102d1f23f933caa1f45a653e7.png

If I remember right, Gilbert took Brands down 4 times and still lost 33-19.  Their finals match at Big Ten's that year will always remain controversial.

Edited by fadzaev2

1 hour ago, Hufarted said:

LOL at the Brands 33-19 win over Gilbert. Man, you don't see scores like that today :D 

Wow, what is the record for match points scored in an NCAA tournament?   23, 25, 12, 33, 5 that's gotta be up there if not the record.

21 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Wow, what is the record for match points scored in an NCAA tournament?   23, 25, 12, 33, 5 that's gotta be up there if not the record.

I seem to remember John Laviolette scoring 36 points at an NCAA's match back in the 80s, and that was before 4 point nearfalls or techfalls. Back in those days you could beat a guy 30-0 and no techfall, it was just a "superior decision" (superior decision gave the same points as a techfall does today, didn't require a nearfall, and was given when a guy won by 12 points or more). 

5 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

Some missed extra points and blown 2-point conversions in those Brands/Gilbert slugfests...

I was wondering about the dynamic between those 2 guys. Brands could brag about NEARLY getting a techfall, and Gilbert could brag about getting 19 points on Brands!

I don't think they resemble each other...maybe their smiles a little...

Mark                                                                               Alex

image.jpeg.8e8690c9a4d3d6d4f5b9afc904fa647d.jpeg  image.jpeg.205a7ee0ae764bd1a04f9ac1ac706101.jpeg

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

54 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Mark                                                                               Alex

image.jpeg.8e8690c9a4d3d6d4f5b9afc904fa647d.jpeg  image.jpeg.205a7ee0ae764bd1a04f9ac1ac706101.jpeg

Ugh...Mark Marinelli looks like a young Ted Cruz. Is the pic on the right Alex's picture from his HS yearbook? I see he had a little more hair back then. 

2 hours ago, Big Nasty said:

please tell me there is video footage of that Gilbert/Brands match out there!

Nope....I just have the finals....made me watch the 5-3 Brands match though.  Just prior to that I witnessed Jason Kelber beat Terry Brands maybe 10-5 and Brands refused to shake Kelber's hand correctly (just a quick smack), and got a team point deducted!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

The Academy of Motion Pictures approves this post.

23 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

Here's the controversial Big Ten match....I may have the NCAA match in my library.....I'll have to check.

that was flipping epic!! how the hell was brands not decked in the first? the ref didn't even get down on the mat and check!

37 minutes ago, Big Nasty said:

that was flipping epic!! how the hell was brands not decked in the first? the ref didn't even get down on the mat and check!

I was right down near matside.....had a great conversation with another guy who was near the mat as well, somewhere shortly after that.....he was working for Russ Hellickson as a hired trainer for OSU.   He had almost gotten into it with Terry Brands (who was near the mat as well)....this guy was yelling "he's pinned" and the just mentioned part of the duo said to him "*@%!" you.  This guy informed me that he had been a golden gloves boxing champion and that messing with him would have been the wrong thing to do...lol.  He was a lot bigger too.

24 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

I was right down near matside.....had a great conversation with another guy who was near the mat as well, somewhere shortly after that.....he was working for Russ Hellickson as a hired trainer for OSU.   He had almost gotten into it with Terry Brands (who was near the mat as well)....this guy was yelling "he's pinned" and the just mentioned part of the duo said to him "*@%!" you.  This guy informed me that he had been a golden gloves boxing champion and that messing with him would have been the wrong thing to do...lol.  He was a lot bigger too.

Hard to punch someone doubling you.