Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Dake over Taylor 7-4

Taylor may never beat Dake. It's actually possible.

More like probable.

Can't say I agree with that. Dake is clearly better, but it came down to inches again. They're going to meet too many times over the next few years for it to be probable that Dake never loses IMO.

It's 5-4 at the end, and Taylor is deep on a shot. Did I expect him to finish given their history? No I figured Dake would find a way, but if that's not inches, we're split on semantics. Before that moment, by my count, Taylor had two takedowns -- Dake had one takedown, one pushout, one reversal, and one back point. Palmer over Metcalf, Perry over Hendricks, Askren over Pendleton, etc all beat opponents who had their number in a more dominant way IMO.

Edit: Also I'd have to see the match again, but some were saying on TWT forum that Taylor could have received three for his takedown before Dake reversed which would have made the score 5-5. Taylor doesn't take that desperation shot at the end and it's a pretty darn close match. Hopefully we get to see Taylor face Howe later, if he can get through Paulson. I'm favoring Howe if he's still alive from that insane overtime match.

You can call it semantics, but there was little doubt as to who was winning at any point in the match from my seat. Deep on a shot means nothing when you're not in a position to finish it, which Taylor was not. As soon as he shot in and had his head down with Dake able to anchor his hips into position, I knew the shot was going nowhere. I think Dake scores out of that position 8, maybe 9, times out of 10.

You can call it semantics, but there was little doubt as to who was winning at any point in the match from my seat. Deep on a shot means nothing when you're not in a position to finish it, which Taylor was not. As soon as he shot in and had his head down with Dake able to anchor his hips into position, I knew the shot was going nowhere. I think Dake scores out of that position 8, maybe 9, times out of 10.

Well then we can go back to the semantics of it being "probable" that Taylor never wins a match against him given that they may face each other another 10 times over the next few years. :lol: I'm aware you didn't say that, it's what I was responding to in the first place though.

Dake is better, and whoever was saying that Taylor has better technique is very wrong. I'm just saying these matches are pretty damn close, but Dake thrives in close matches much more than Taylor. I personally don't see as much separation between their wrestling skills as you do, it's razor thin from my eyes -- the main difference to me is the mental advantage and Dake's nerves of steel which may be sufficient to win every time.