Katie

Do you think Greco is fun to watch?

Do you think Greco is fun to watch?  

44 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Do you think Greco is fun to watch?

• Yes, it’s fun to watch. And I’m an American.
    • Yes, it’s fun to watch. And I’m not an American.
    • No, it’s boring. And I’m an American.
    • No, it’s boring. And I’m not an American.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/14/2022 at 04:00 PM

Senior level Greco is almost unwatchable in 2022. It has been a bad product for more than a decade. 

I say this as grass-roots supporter of USAW. My developing high school wrestling team trains freestyle and Greco in the spring when other local teams don't bother. This weekend I'm driving my half dozen athletes 90 miles for an April tournament because it offers both styles. 

I think if you haven't wrestled greco and are oblivious to the many nuances and 

techniques involved you would be bored.

This is the same crowd who thinks baseball is so exciting but soccer is boring.

It's a severely under educated mob who has this unsophisticated viewpoint. 

22 minutes ago, krazzy said:

At least 99% of the world would find Greco to be boring.  Also, I’m an American and I think baseball is horrible to watch, as well as plenty of other sports.

With regard to freestyle, most people I know who have watched a few minutes of it think it’s boring.  I obviously disagree, but I don’t blame them. 

Edited by Katie

After watching the last Olympics, I think Greco will be gone by the 2032 Olympic cycle.  There are a few problems: The starting flat on the mat is ridiculous, not enough scoring and the officials are entirely too involved.

I love Greco, but I think its days are numbered.

14 hours ago, GranbyTroll said:

Senior level Greco is almost unwatchable in 2022. It has been a bad product for more than a decade. 

I say this as grass-roots supporter of USAW. My developing high school wrestling team trains freestyle and Greco in the spring when other local teams don't bother. This weekend I'm driving my half dozen athletes 90 miles for an April tournament because it offers both styles. 

Agree 100 percent.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:25 AM, GranbyTroll said:

This is the way

13 hours ago, krazzy said:

I liked competing in Greco, I just don't find it entertaining as a spectator at all these days.  

If that makes me unsophisticated then so be it.  

15 hours ago, krazzy said:

I played baseball in college.  I find MLB extremely difficult to watch.  I'd much rather go and watch a local high school game because it is fun.

I also played soccer through high school, so I understand the nuances of the game.  Can't stand to watch it.  That' s just my unsophisticated viewpoint.

I feel the same about Greco.  I dabbled in Greco during springs when I had time away from baseball, so i am not a Greco expert.  I appreciate the skill, but it's not a must-watch for me at all.  I think I watched 2 Greco matches from the past olympics and struggled to not change the channel.

22 hours ago, Bozak2018 said:

I played baseball in college.  I find MLB extremely difficult to watch.  I'd much rather go and watch a local high school game because it is fun.

I also played soccer through high school, so I understand the nuances of the game.  Can't stand to watch it.  That' s just my unsophisticated viewpoint.

I feel the same about Greco.  I dabbled in Greco during springs when I had time away from baseball, so i am not a Greco expert.  I appreciate the skill, but it's not a must-watch for me at all.  I think I watched 2 Greco matches from the past olympics and struggled to not change the channel.

You probably watched Lopez, Kayaalp.....

Ok. This is settled. No one wants bmx, etc. Cut Greco weight classes in half. Have like a featherweight, middle weight, and HWT Greco categories. Expand MFS Olympic weights to 10 current off year weights. 

On 4/7/2022 at 9:48 PM, krazzy said:

And if you HAVE Wrestled Greco and you still find it boring?

I DO know truly sophisticated people always need to let people know how sophisticated they are and unsophisticated others are!

1 hour ago, scribe said:

Ok. This is settled. No one wants bmx, etc. Cut Greco weight classes in half. Have like a featherweight, middle weight, and HWT Greco categories. Expand MFS Olympic weights to 10 current off year weights. 

That'd be perfect...you unsophisticated heathen!

19 hours ago, Scourge197 said:

I DO know truly sophisticated people always need to let people know how sophisticated they are and unsophisticated others are!

I agree

What if the trade to get rid of greco at the olympics is to go up to 10 weights for MFS and WFS?

Pros: spotlighted growth of a quickly growing sport (WFS), provides overall medal growth at 80 medals (10 weights x 4 medals x 2 styles) vs 72 (6 weights x 4 medals x 3 styles), brings attention to necessary DEI

Cons: is no more greco a con?