gowrestle

NIL & Portal Getting Nasty

Let's do some math and see where my tangent ends up.

D1 schools with wrestling: 78

Estimated average team size by end of season: 25

78 schools * 25 team members = 1950 wrestlers

10 weight classes * 8 podium spots = 80 All Americans

1950 wrestlers - 80 All Americans = 1870 wrestlers looking up. 1870 / 1950 = 95.897%

80 AAs / 1950 wrestlers = 4.1% of all wrestlers will AA in a given year

1 AA / 1950 wrestlers = 0.005% of all wrestlers

The wrestling community is looking at the NIL landscape with Reggie Bush glasses. Rather than focus on 0.005% at the absolute top end of a data set that are getting a house/car/$100k duffel bag  NIL deal, we should be focused on the 95.897%. Remember, our sport allows up to 9.9 scholarships but we are all too well aware that the majority of schools do not fulfill that allotment. So how are kids paying for school, living expenses, etc? Do you think all parents can help, especially with that lovely 7% inflation or is Sallie Mae heavily chipping in to the bloated educational financial system like the vindictive loan shark that she is?

So whether you thinking of Nick Suriano or Real Woods or Charles Small, are you upset at a college student taking advantage of what is finally fairly and legally available today when two years ago they were provided with nothing at all? 

America has a weird heightened sense of amateurism, that's for sure.

part of this is from tradition

i think, that we are the only place where sports and school are tied together? europe has clubs...not sure about rest... 

so yes amateurism is highly ingrained.. or used to be 

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Sigh.  If that actually is Larry Lee, this is exactly the attention that moron Minnow wants.

Eh I don't blame him, he's defending himself.  Minnow is making some pretty big allegations here, and is being even more specific in his fb group, calling out Larry by name and saying he called Willits brothers and was involved with the Woods deal, also saying he called someone (presumably O'Connor) to "check on his ACL" and talk $.

9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Eh I don't blame him, he's defending himself.  Minnow is making some pretty big allegations here, and is being even more specific in his fb group, calling out Larry by name and saying he called Willits brothers and was involved with the Woods deal, also saying he called someone (presumably O'Connor) to "check on his ACL" and talk $.

I understand the reaction.  But Minnow is a grade A tool bag who just wants engagement to amplify himself, he's a grifter, a parasite on the wrestling body.  He thrives off of attention, so the only solution is not to give him any.  You can discuss him being an idiot without actively engaging him or linking to any of his content.

EDIT:  It's also his pattern that, when he gets something wrong as the "information broker" often does, he gets extra froggy afterwards.

Edited by VakAttack

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

I understand the reaction.  But Minnow is a grade A tool bag who just wants engagement to amplify himself, he's a grifter, a parasite on the wrestling body.  He thrives off of attention, so the only solution is not to give him any.  You can discuss him being an idiot without actively engaging him or linking to any of his content.

EDIT:  It's also his pattern that, when he gets something wrong as the "information broker" often does, he gets extra froggy afterwards.

Yeah I get that, but like it or not he has 16k followers on twitter so a lot of people are going to see it and will ask questions especially if Spencer/Larry don't say anything.

He probably didn't necessarily need to reply directly to Minnow though...

I am all for the eyes and attention Mineo is giving wrestling, we need some kind of presence like this on social that isn't Ben Askren. I definitely don't agree with a lot of what he says, but having this kind of offseason engagement is an overall positive. Totally get the criticisms however, he does poke one fanbase pretty constantly. 

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Let's do some math and see where my tangent ends up.

D1 schools with wrestling: 78

Estimated average team size by end of season: 25

78 schools * 25 team members = 1950 wrestlers

10 weight classes * 8 podium spots = 80 All Americans

1950 wrestlers - 80 All Americans = 1870 wrestlers looking up. 1870 / 1950 = 95.897%

80 AAs / 1950 wrestlers = 4.1% of all wrestlers will AA in a given year

1 AA / 1950 wrestlers = 0.005% of all wrestlers

The wrestling community is looking at the NIL landscape with Reggie Bush glasses. Rather than focus on 0.005% at the absolute top end of a data set that are getting a house/car/$100k duffel bag  NIL deal, we should be focused on the 95.897%. Remember, our sport allows up to 9.9 scholarships but we are all too well aware that the majority of schools do not fulfill that allotment. So how are kids paying for school, living expenses, etc? Do you think all parents can help, especially with that lovely 7% inflation or is Sallie Mae heavily chipping in to the bloated educational financial system like the vindictive loan shark that she is?

So whether you thinking of Nick Suriano or Real Woods or Charles Small, are you upset at a college student taking advantage of what is finally fairly and legally available today when two years ago they were provided with nothing at all? 

America has a weird heightened sense of amateurism, that's for sure.

So you think it's okay to be contacting kids who are NOT in the portal to give them money to come to your school?  That's the issue. Not poor Billy who has been cheated his whole life. 

Mineo insinuating Mr. Lee is participating in the dark arts of pre portal recruiting is off putting.  He hasn't provided any concrete evidence.  But, after years of conspiracy theories about Cael Sanderson that were spearheaded by HR and the general Iowa fanbase as a PSU fan I'm really enjoying the heat the Iowa fan base is experiencing.  Sweet music to my ears. 

6 minutes ago, portajohn said:

Mineo insinuating Mr. Lee is participating in the dark arts of pre portal recruiting is off putting.  He hasn't provided any concrete evidence.  But, after years of conspiracy theories about Cael Sanderson that were spearheaded by HR and the general Iowa fanbase as a PSU fan I'm really enjoying the heat the Iowa fan base is experiencing.  Sweet music to my ears. 

Yes, nobody has had it easier from the rest of wrestling fandom than the Hawkeye fans in terms of ridicule and mockery, no more free lunches. ;)

19 minutes ago, portajohn said:

The RTC stuff isn’t conspiracy theories buddy. It’s a blatant open secret. No I’m not an Iowa fan

30 minutes ago, Idaho said:

So you think it's okay to be contacting kids who are NOT in the portal to give them money to come to your school?  That's the issue. Not poor Billy who has been cheated his whole life. 

Yes. Death to the NCAA and the sham of amateurism.

26 minutes ago, portajohn said:

He’s not insinuating it he is outright saying it. He also refuses to answer Larry Lee’s calls or texts which tells you exactly the type of guy Mineo is. I think it’s hilarious that guys like Cael Sanderson and Scott Goodale text and exchange information with this guy.

4 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

He’s not insinuating it he is outright saying it. He also refuses to answer Larry Lee’s calls or texts which tells you exactly the type of guy Mineo is. I think it’s hilarious that guys like Cael Sanderson and Scott Goodale text and exchange information with this guy.

Coward Keyboard Warrior?  How dare you speak so highly of Minnow!  Take it back!

Also - Still got Pyle if they were to wrestle on a Flo card.

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Coward Keyboard Warrior?  How dare you speak so highly of Minnow!  Take it back!

Also - Still got Pyle if they were to wrestle on a Flo card.

Devil's Advocate, you would not want to take this private if you were Pat. You can get trapped, recorded, screengrabbed, whatever without having your own original copies. Just the world we live in in 2022.

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Listen, on the one hand, Minnow is an idiot.

End of post.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Compelling statement.

The Facebook should be good tonight.  What do we think the over/under is on people Minnow bans is over this?

I think I would take the over on 125.5...

8 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

He's completely in the bag for those guys and will sling !@#$ at any other program in the country without hesitation.  Of course they don't mind what he's all about, and throw him a bone from time to time.  

Aside from the Lee drama, HR drama, well... all of wrestling drama, It will be interesting to see if other coaches come forward and say what Bentley has said. On Baschmania WIllie said that many coaches have told him the exact same thing about Iowa and the recruiting taking place. 

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Aside from the Lee drama, HR drama, well... all of wrestling drama, It will be interesting to see if other coaches come forward and say what Bentley has said. On Baschmania WIllie said that many coaches have told him the exact same thing about Iowa and the recruiting taking place. 

Cenzo said people have made offers to Griffith.   Well maybe officially he said they made offers to "his wrestlers," but then they talked a bunch about Griffith later.

I've seen people say Branch from Wyoming said similar about Buchanan but haven't seen the exact words.

Edited by 1032004