gowrestle

NIL & Portal Getting Nasty

We like to think NIL is changing the college wrestling landscape, but the truth is that whatever impact it's having on wrestling is magnified 10X in football and basketball. Honestly, what are the top wrestling guys getting as NIL payments - 10K? 50K? Whatever it is, it's probably not enough to even cover just tuition - scholarships at the top programs typically are less half the tuition (and some give up their scholarship their last year so the program can recruit new kids).

Any rule changes will be driven by football and basketball; wrestling will just have to wait and see how this all shakes out.

Edited by Fletcher

Would it even be illegal for a parent of a wrestler on one team to call a parent of a wrestler on another team?  I guess that is technically what the allegation is here and Mr. Lee didn’t exactly deny it.

11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Would it even be illegal for a parent of a wrestler on one team to call a parent of a wrestler on another team?  I guess that is technically what the allegation is here and Mr. Lee didn’t exactly deny it.

He didn't deny it? That take is part of the problem. Wild, unsupported, reckless accusations should be ignored, not aknowledged. This whole thing is so tawdry.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

10 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

He didn't deny it? That take is part of the problem. Wild, unsupported, reckless accusations should be ignored, not aknowledged. This whole thing is so tawdry.

Not saying he did it, moreso just asking even if he did would that even be a violation?

But it is interesting that his tweets specifically said he has never called “a wrestler” from another team.

Edited by 1032004

19 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Not saying he did it, moreso just asking even if he did would that even be a violation?

But it is interesting that his tweets specifically said he has never called “a wrestler” from another team.

Yeah, I don't think it's technically a violation calling the parents - seems like the work around approach... When/If the NCAA addresses this kind of stuff they will probably need to add language and definitions. 

On a separate but related note ,   I have no idea if the Lee stuff  is true or not...but it adds up from a lineup perspective...either add the Willits brothers or Real Woods and O'Connor to fill the holes at 141 and 157. 

29 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I think the reason for contacting is what is in question. The accusation being it is to persuade the wrestler to come to their school. I don't know the relationship Lee has with either the Willits or O'Conner, so it's easy for me to assume it had to do with them coming to Iowa.

There is a concept in movie making called willingful suspension of disbelief. A good movie gets you to suspend your disbelief and accept its story, flaws and all, even though you know about the flaws.

What is beyond me is why you all want to suspend your disbelief for a guy who tweets wild as* isht like some people breath.

He tells you all the time he is not to be believed, and yet, here we are again. Hell, he even said last night in respect to this issue, his twitter is a parody "half the time" as though half is possible.

When someone tells you who they are, believe them the first time. So come on people, bring back your disbelief.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

And here's the inherent problem with Mineo and any kind of conversing with him. He posts one thing, maybe an accurate screenshot, and then takes implications from it. The admissions of guilt are always offscreen. Did Mr. Lee talk to a family member? Possibly. Was he recruiting them to Iowa? Maybe. But the only thing we have is Mineo's word on any of the actual potential violations. He claims his evidence of a conversation occurring (in a small, small community) are actually proof of something else, but they're not....but just placed into a context so as to make you feel a way. Like I said, a grifter.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Chas2105 said:

I think the reason for contacting is what is in question. The accusation being it is to persuade the wrestler to come to their school. I don't know the relationship Lee has with either the Willits or O'Conner, so it's easy for me to assume it had to do with them coming to Iowa.

Their school?  Coe College?

Mineo says some crazy stuff, normally there is some truth to what he says, it normally just has his own version and interpretation on it. 

he doesn’t just make stuff up, just trolls people with his info. 

I hate Mineo as much as anyone...but what's the above board reason for Lee's dad to be texting him and calling him 27 times (allegedly)?
Do we know that actually happened? Again, Mineo's words, posted next to unverified, unrelated texts, and just asks you to believe what he says. What if Lee got wind of Mineo saying things that were false and called him 3 times, expecting an answer since they typically talk to each other? And Minnow's typical hyperbole takes over.

It's worth pointing out that, if those texts are real, then Lee is possibly playing semantics games also. "I never called a wrestler" but he did call the parent. So why prevaricate about that? Nefarious explanation: he was trying to persuade a kid to transfer. Non-nefarious reason: he was talking to a friend, and then after this was out there, panicked because he was worried it would look bad in the context. Mineo is just telling everybody it's the bad explanation and claiming to show proof of it, when he really isn't.

Mineo says some crazy stuff, normally there is some truth to what he says, it normally just has his own version and interpretation on it. 
he doesn’t just make stuff up, just trolls people with his info. 
He doesn't make stuff up so much as just present every rumor he hears as if it's incontrovertible fact, when most is just flimsy gossip. #NeverForget his online retirement party for Kemerer.

18 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I hate Mineo as much as anyone...but what's the above board reason for Lee's dad to be texting him and calling him 27 times (allegedly)?

Mineo posted on Facebook that Larry Lee was acting as a proxy for the Brands brothers and flashing cash at other wrestlers. Lee probably kept calling because Mineo kept tweeting so Lee knew he had his phone in his hand.

13 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Do we know that actually happened? Again, Mineo's words, posted next to unverified, unrelated texts, and just asks you to believe what he says. What if Lee got wind of Mineo saying things that were false and called him 3 times, expecting an answer since they typically talk to each other? And Minnow's typical hyperbole takes over.

It's worth pointing out that, if those texts are real, then Lee is possibly playing semantics games also. "I never called a wrestler" but he did call the parent. So why prevaricate about that? Nefarious explanation: he was trying to persuade a kid to transfer. Non-nefarious reason: he was talking to a friend, and then after this was out there, panicked because he was worried it would look bad in the context. Mineo is just telling everybody it's the bad explanation and claiming to show proof of it, when he really isn't.

So it's confirmed that Larry Lee called the Willits and O'Connor families, but Larry is denying that he spoke with them about recruiting and the transfer portal?  What else would he be talking to them about?

So it's confirmed that Larry Lee called the Willits and O'Connor families, but Larry is denying that he spoke with them about recruiting and the transfer portal?  What else would he be talking to them about?

It's not confirmed, actually. But if he did, literally any reason. Every of they're friends. What if he did call O'Connor's dad (because he felt it was inappropriate to call the kid) to offer advice on ACL recovery? There are non-nefarious explanations, but it feels better for most people to accept the worst one whole-cloth. Psychologically it's probably because we also tend to believe the first thing we hear as a true recitation of facts, and any subsequent explanation is judged against that one. "Framing the narrative" and all that.