gowrestle

NIL & Portal Getting Nasty

9 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

So the it that is confirmed is that one person has spoken to another person?

In that vein, I have a confession of my own. I would like to confess that I have spoken to many wrestlers, many family members of wrestlers, and many coaches of wrestlers, some of whom were not coaches of wrestlers I have spoken to, nor were they coaches of wrestlers whose family I have spoken to. Also, while I cannot prove it, I am virtually certain I have spoken to boosters of both the schools of the wrestlers I have spoken to (and don't foget their family members) and of the schools not currently attended by the wrestlers I have spoken to. And of course, their families.

I confess to posting something to which another poster who supports a different program replied to.  I also confess to replying to a post made by a supporter of a competing program.  

And there you go. Just as viable an explanation, but not as fun or juicy, so people will believe the more fun one. Plus Minnow was first (because why would Lee tell the world he had a generic phone call with a friend), so it sets in the mind and any subsequent explanations seem false because they conflict with the initial story they heard.

Here's the crappy thing: the only one who stands to lose anything is Larry Lee. His reputation is the one that is being hurt here. Minnow is a douchenozzle and everybody knows it. If it was somehow proven false, it wouldn't affect him one bit. He already has no credibility. If this is false, it's probably really affecting Larry Lee right now mentally. If it's true, that's a different story, but Minnow doesn't care if it's true or false, he just cares if it gets him social media engagement and followers.

He's a bottom-feeder, and I don't say that lightly. The fact that he chose a long time ago to go after my favorite team doesn't affect my opinion on this one bit. If he could be excised from the conversation, I would do it, but as is, I just do my little part. I don't follow him on any social, I don't reply to any of his crap, even when he @'s me. I'm a nobody, so no great loss for him, but it makes me feel better.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

And there you go. Just as viable an explanation, but not as fun or juicy, so people will believe the more fun one. Plus Minnow was first (because why would Lee tell the world he had a generic phone call with a friend), so it sets in the mind and any subsequent explanations seem false because they conflict with the initial story they heard.

Here's the crappy thing: the only one who stands to lose anything is Larry Lee. His reputation is the one that is being hurt here. Minnow is a douchenozzle and everybody knows it. If it was somehow proven false, it wouldn't affect him one bit. He already has no credibility. If this is false, it's probably really affecting Larry Lee right now mentally. If it's true, that's a different story, but Minnow doesn't care if it's true or false, he just cares if it gets him social media engagement and followers.

He's a bottom-feeder, and I don't say that lightly. The fact that he chose a long time ago to go after my favorite team doesn't affect my opinion on this one bit. If he could be excised from the conversation, I would do it, but as is, I just do my little part. I don't follow him on any social, I don't reply to any of his crap, even when he @'s me. I'm a nobody, so no great loss for him, but it makes me feel better.

Yes Mineo is a douche but at the current moment Iowa wrestling has a PR problem.  @Husker_Du on his podcast stated that there are allegations from many coaches that Iowa is actively calling their wrestlers to jump in the portal.  That to me is the bigger story.  

Edited by portajohn

18 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

As a PSU fan, I can assure you one need not support Iowa to find Mineo repellant. I implore other PSU fans to remember that Mineo is not trustworthy. Just because you may like this particular message, does not change that basic fact.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

Who the heck is giving Pat this info? How would he know who’s calling who? Obviously he has a source or contact, probably more than one seeing as this news is coast to coast. Unc to Oregon St is pretty far. Is it true,  I tend to think so, but not 100%. Kinda hard to make up a story about two different circumstances with the same story. Mr Lee said he’s friends with the Willitz bros dad. If I’ve known someone that long and Iowa needs those two for a stronger lineup I would try to per sway them too. It’s wrong, but I get it. How AOC scenario comes into play wasn’t explained other then checking up on a ACL recovery. That’s super suspicious to me. Did he call Ferrari and ask how he was, or any other injured wrestlers, or just title contenders and AA’s?

Yes Mineo is a douche but at the current moment Iowa wrestling has a PR problem.  @Husker_Du on his podcast stated that there are allegations from many coaches that Iowa is actively calling their wrestlers to jump in the portal.  That to me is the bigger story.  

Iowa has had a PR problem for years, this is just the latest one. If the PR problem is going to be that the perception is they're willing to pay good wrestlers a lot of money....i think that's a win compared to the old PR problem.

Also, not sure how Tom and Terry will react to the idea that other coaches don't like them, will be a big change.

I refuse to believe anything that Pat Mineo puts out there, cuz he's icky. But if these wild rumours prove to be true (or at least get more substantial evidence), that's even more icky. In that case, what should I, as a fan of the program, do? Stop watching wrestling? 

Those last 2 sentences arent supposed to be read as dismissive. This whole saga makes me deeply uncomfortable

5 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

So the it that is confirmed is that one person has spoken to another person?

In that vein, I have a confession of my own. I would like to confess that I have spoken to many wrestlers, many family members of wrestlers, and many coaches of wrestlers, some of whom were not coaches of wrestlers I have spoken to, nor were they coaches of wrestlers whose family I have spoken to. Also, while I cannot prove it, I am virtually certain I have spoken to boosters of both the schools of the wrestlers I have spoken to (and don't foget their family members) and of the schools not currently attended by the wrestlers I have spoken to. And of course, their families.

I can make a truth table for you, however I must confess it's been a long time and it may take me a bit.  I will guarantee an accuracy not less than 83%, but the user will be responsible for determining the 17% (max) inaccuracy.  (Now, how's that for a new car warranty?)

9 hours ago, VakAttack said:

It's not confirmed, actually. But if he did, literally any reason. Every of they're friends. What if he did call O'Connor's dad (because he felt it was inappropriate to call the kid) to offer advice on ACL recovery? There are non-nefarious explanations, but it feels better for most people to accept the worst one whole-cloth. Psychologically it's probably because we also tend to believe the first thing we hear as a true recitation of facts, and any subsequent explanation is judged against that one. "Framing the narrative" and all that.

I don’t think Ramos or Coleman will hesitate To start talking about this if it happened. For all the reasons 

I don’t think Ramos or Coleman will hesitate To start talking about this if it happened. For all the reasons 
Right. Except, it seems likely they're Mineo's sources. So what if, go with me here, they wanted some NIL money from UNC and they're just casually mentioning "yeah, I want to stay here, but my dad was just talking the Larry Lee..." to try to leverage a situation, but the conversation was just banal interpersonal stuff. ..they're just using it as a leverage point. The coaches think it's real, so they go nuts and start passing info to people and here we are. Or what if they did have a conversation with Larry Lee about transferring, but they reached out first to figure out NIL stuff and wanted to leverage the situation for money from UNC because they (understandably) want to keep living in Chapel Hill?

It's notable that despite all these complaints allegedly being filed, all of this procedure which is normally behind closed doors is being discussed openly...typically more of a PR strategy than a legal one, used by people with weaker cases. Where's the evidence? People are passing the info to Minnow (allegedly, why aren't they passing the actual evidence?

Again I'm not dismissing the possibility that Larry Lee did anything wrong or even just amoral and is just aggressively calling athletes to offer to get them paid....I don't know the man. Maybe him and Spencer want to try to win a title in his last year and so they've gone insane with desperation

12 hours ago, VakAttack said:

And here's the inherent problem with Mineo and any kind of conversing with him. He posts one thing, maybe an accurate screenshot, and then takes implications from it. The admissions of guilt are always offscreen. Did Mr. Lee talk to a family member? Possibly. Was he recruiting them to Iowa? Maybe. But the only thing we have is Mineo's word on any of the actual potential violations. He claims his evidence of a conversation occurring (in a small, small community) are actually proof of something else, but they're not....but just placed into a context so as to make you feel a way. Like I said, a grifter.

Nailed it.

Now that he has Mr Lee admitting to a phone call with a friend, he’s going to run with it.

And actually now someone has just posted a screenshot in HR from Mineo’s fb group where his original post did say Lee called “the wrestler” but it must’ve been edited…

3 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Heartbreaking that a kid from the Chicago area earns AA status and gets handed a Detroit pizza.

Had no idea there was even a Detroit pizza.  Googled it and voila. It's got its on wikipedia page.

12 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I don't loathe IPAs, but find them overrated as hell. If I'm going that way, I typically for a double or a NEIPA.A Belgian quad is my favorite beer type in the world, especially Christmas styles. Gulden Draak, Piraat, McChouffe, Chimay....ahh, heaven.

You gotta try Gouden Carolus.  Not a quad but liquid gold.

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Heartbreaking that a kid from the Chicago area earns AA status and gets handed a Detroit pizza.

That's not from this year in Detroit.  O'Connor didn't have long braided hair in Detroit.  Which isn't to say he didn't deserve a personal pizza after his gutsy performance this year.

I happen to like Detroit pizza.  Toppings right to the edge.

Larry Lee did actually tweet out that he contacted Willits dad, claims they are old friends. Very well could be.

but like I said Mineo finds the truth and then mixes in his own opinions