NJDan

Bill Farrell in Iowa

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

Does anyone know why the Bill Farrell moved from NYC to Iowa?

Spitballing but did NYC still have that athlete vaccine policy not that long ago (just recently lifted).  There was some type of big deal with this and an unvaccinated NBA player if I recall. Could be the organization decision at that time to move it this year so athletes wouldn’t caught up in that issue. 

9 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

Spitballing but did NYC still have that athlete vaccine policy not that long ago (just recently lifted).  There was some type of big deal with this and an unvaccinated NBA player if I recall. Could be the organization decision at that time to move it this year so athletes wouldn’t caught up in that issue. 

Yes, NYC had that policy until about a week ago. Don't know if that's what drove the move.

Its a shame.  The East Coast has by far the greatest number of wrestlers, but so many wrestling events get crammed into Iowa its absurd.  You'd think that 95% of wrestlers were there, not the 2% it is.  The NYAC hosted the tournament for more than 60 years and it was a staple event for east coasters.  Maybe there are special circumstances with the Bill Farrell that prompted the move, but I doubt it because USAW is always doing this -- ramming event after event into Iowa and other ghost-towns while giving the middle finger to the coasts.  I get that venues are cheaper, but it discriminates against all the non-Midwesterners, always forcing expensive flights and hotels on them while locals get to mosey across the street, time and again.  It also reinforces the white-hick image that wrestling's been battling for years, as the only people that show up are pasty-white hayseed chewing Hawk fans who don't give a crap about anyone who didn't used to wear black and gold.  The only USAW events on the east coast anymore are purely regional events, to qualify for the right to go to Iowa or some other forsaken flyover state.  I'm sure USAW is price-shopping, but there's a reason UNI Dome can charge so little:  it sucks and no one wants to go there.  

OK I'm being a little harsh on Iowa/Midwest, but the constant jamming of events there really does tick me off.  Instead of expecting all the East (and West) coast venues to drive their rates down to match what UNI charges, USAW really needs to maintain some semblance of geographic parity and fan diversity in where it schedules its events.  That's more fair and better grows the sport.

Edited by BAC

56 minutes ago, BAC said:

Its a shame.  The East Coast has by far the greatest number of wrestlers, but so many wrestling events get crammed into Iowa its absurd.  You'd think that 95% of wrestlers were there, not the 2% it is.  The NYAC hosted the tournament for more than 60 years and it was a staple event for east coasters.  Maybe there are special circumstances with the Bill Farrell that prompted the move, but I doubt it because USAW is always doing this -- ramming event after event into Iowa and other ghost-towns while giving the middle finger to the coasts.  I get that venues are cheaper, but it discriminates against all the non-Midwesterners, always forcing expensive flights and hotels on them while locals get to mosey across the street, time and again.  It also reinforces the white-hick image that wrestling's been battling for years, as the only people that show up are pasty-white hayseed chewing Hawk fans who don't give a crap about anyone who didn't used to wear black and gold.  The only USAW events on the east coast anymore are purely regional events, to qualify for the right to go to Iowa or some other forsaken flyover state.  I'm sure USAW is price-shopping, but there's a reason UNI Dome can charge so little:  it sucks and no one wants to go there.  

OK I'm being a little harsh on Iowa/Midwest, but the constant jamming of events there really does tick me off.  Instead of expecting all the East (and West) coast venues to drive their rates down to match what UNI charges, USAW really needs to maintain some semblance of geographic parity and fan diversity in where it schedules its events.  That's more fair and better grows the sport.

As someone who lives in and loathes the midwest, I support this post. My next step is leaving the region entirely because the pros are heavily outweighed by the cons. Iowa sucks, and if it didn't suck more people would live there. That opinion aside, if it weren't for Iowa and Oklahoma, we would not have wrestling as we know it and therefore should be appreciative for the past while keeping an eye on the present and future (not to be confused with hog and corn futures)

Weird how people can bash the midwest and Iowa, but don't bash the reason the event was even moved from NY to Iowa in the first place.  If you are p'd off because the event was moved, maybe go talk to the policy makers in your eastern state and tell them to stop making stupid policies.  And USAW isn't the one making the policies so stop bashing them...they aren't the reason there isn't some semblance of geographic parity and fan diversity.

Anyway, there wouldn't be a thing called wrestling if it wasn't for places like Iowa and the other states in the midwest...as a true fan wouldn't you be thankful for them??

39 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Weird how people can bash the midwest and Iowa, but don't bash the reason the event was even moved from NY to Iowa in the first place.  If you are p'd off because the event was moved, maybe go talk to the policy makers in your eastern state and tell them to stop making stupid policies.  And USAW isn't the one making the policies so stop bashing them...they aren't the reason there isn't some semblance of geographic parity and fan diversity.

Anyway, there wouldn't be a thing called wrestling if it wasn't for places like Iowa and the other states in the midwest...as a true fan wouldn't you be thankful for them??

Totally agree. I'd rather go to Iowa 100 times out of 99 than go to NYC. 

4 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Totally agree. I'd rather go to Iowa 100 times out of 99 than go to NYC. 

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

Not sure if this is a joke, but you are 1 out of 1000 who feels that way.

I'm with you on that 100 times, course I'd rather go to NY over NJ but there may be one state I'd put below NJ so ...

On 4/26/2022 at 8:19 PM, BAC said:

You would rather force people to go to a sewer with tall buildings? People crammed in like rats.

East Coast snobbery shows, big time.

On 4/26/2022 at 8:19 PM, BAC said:

no idea why they moved... assuming covid

however, i think usaw is right to look for a buck or two

100 out of 99 times WTT do better in iowa... so why wouldn't they..

if you have the receipts.. i would like to see the numbers on money made  and attendance at bill farrell

5 hours ago, GockeS said:

100 out of 99 times WTT do better in iowa... so why wouldn't they..

if you have the receipts.. i would like to see the numbers on money made  and attendance at bill farrell

I don't think you're right, but lets say hypothetically you are -- and that USAW earns the most money on events in Iowa (i.e. gate revenue relative to venue cost).  Does that mean ALL events sponsored by USAW should be sponsored in Iowa?  As you say, "why wouldn't they" -- lets just move every single event there, right?  And it turns out that, say, they could make even more money if all events were in Alaska, should we move every USAW event there?

Or do you think that maybe USAW has some obligation to have some semblance of geographic parity in moving events around to different events across the country, and some obligation to cultivate as broad and diverse a fan  base as possible to help grow the sport?

The NYAC tournament was renamed the Bill Farrell and then they move it to Iowa?  Does anyone know the long term status of this tournament?  The tournament is terrific at the NYAC. Nothing like it. Right there mat side with the athletes warming up.  Was top notch with Russians, Japanese etc. Was one of my yearly destinations. Please bring it back!!!  

16 hours ago, BAC said:

I don't think you're right, but lets say hypothetically you are -- and that USAW earns the most money on events in Iowa (i.e. gate revenue relative to venue cost).  Does that mean ALL events sponsored by USAW should be sponsored in Iowa?  As you say, "why wouldn't they" -- lets just move every single event there, right?  And it turns out that, say, they could make even more money if all events were in Alaska, should we move every USAW event there?

Or do you think that maybe USAW has some obligation to have some semblance of geographic parity in moving events around to different events across the country, and some obligation to cultivate as broad and diverse a fan  base as possible to help grow the sport?

i dont think any of those things

i think the bill farrel will thrive in NY, its an historically east coast event... it would be stupid to permanently move a NYAC event to someplace else... 

but it was moved for covid reasons... they chose iowa. were they wrong to choose that? 

9 hours ago, GockeS said:

but it was moved for covid reasons... they chose iowa. were they wrong to choose that? 

I don't think we know that was the reason, but regardless, if its a one-year move due to a mix of special circumstances (per JB) then I'm fine with that. As I said at the outset, its more a broad-based concern of Iowa/midwest favoritism that I've observed over a number of years than a specific concern about the Bill Farrell.  I'm not even saying its an overt anti-east-coast bias, but more a matter of laziness (e.g. not seeking out a diverse set of venues), penny-pinching (e.g. taking the cheapest arenas, which of course are in the midwest, which has the effect of favoring Iowans/midwesterners while consistently placing a greater burden on wrestlers on the coasts), suspect reasoning (e.g. its "centrally located", claiming Iowa fans turn out more, etc), and general shortsightedness (e.g. paying minimal regard to broadening and diversifying the fan base).  Take Pennsylvania for example:  Its probably the leading wrestling state, but when's the last time a major USAW sponsored event was there?  Ever?  Or California:  about twice as many high school wrestlers as the next state, but almost never gets any events.  How much do you want to bet 2024 Olympic Trials are in Iowa AGAIN?  I'll give it 10 to 1 odds.  USAW needs to do better.

There aren't a ton of arenas that can fit 30 mats (That looks like what they're showing) with ample seating.

In Pa- Spooky Nook and York have the floor space (I think York did) but neither have seating of consequence.

2 hours ago, moodybooty said:

Reece Humphrey asking the same question on Twitter:

Expensive from where?  Most folks can drive to Iowa.  What kind've things is there "not much to do?"  Folks go to watch wrestling, most wrestling fans are former wrestlers so still watching/cutting weight (think there's a thread about it), correct?  ;)  So what do we need? 

46 minutes ago, ionel said:

Expensive from where?  Most folks can drive to Iowa.  What kind've things is there "not much to do?"  Folks go to watch wrestling, most wrestling fans are former wrestlers so still watching/cutting weight (think there's a thread about it), correct?  ;)  So what do we need? 

Found the Iowa resident

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Did you give this post any thought whatsoever? Reece is a coach not a fan. He's speaking for the coaches and athletes. Coaches and athletes COULD drive in from anywhere. Do you think they really want to sit in a car/van for a day or two without the ability to train? No, they want to fly!