Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Dake-Taylor V

This was a great match. Taylor can win this I am convinced. People are comapring this to Lmac's 9 wins over Bono but Taylor has great offense, that is the difference here. Taylor needs a strength coach. Taylor is superior to Dake in the Tech dept but there is pretty big strength gap here. Dake is on Burroughs level strength wise but JB has the tech skills also. Cant wait for Howe/Dake

I completely disagree. Taylor is not superior to Dake in technique.

The fact that Dake can capitalize on Taylor's offense but the reverse is not true tells you something. Taylor tends to get out of position still. Dake is the master of position.

The differences between the two are:

Dake is a significantly better athlete

Dake controls the tie-ups almost every time

Dake has superior technique from all positions, though this is not a big edge (still, Dake is more fundamentally sound, and at this level, that makes a difference)

Dake dictates the pace of the match and is thus able to slow it down when he needs to or pick it up and score when he needs to

Dake is in Taylor's head in a big way and each time they meet, Dake's mental edge gets worse for Taylor

Taylor may have better conditioning, but in two 3-minute periods, that's not a factor

This was a great match. Taylor can win this I am convinced. People are comapring this to Lmac's 9 wins over Bono but Taylor has great offense, that is the difference here. Taylor needs a strength coach. Taylor is superior to Dake in the Tech dept but there is pretty big strength gap here. Dake is on Burroughs level strength wise but JB has the tech skills also. Cant wait for Howe/Dake

It is hard to watch a guy lose 5 times in a row and declare him the better technical wrestler. I think Dake is pretty darn technical and acting otherwise is foolish.

It is hard to watch a guy lose 5 times in a row and declare him the better technical wrestler. I think Dake is pretty darn technical and acting otherwise is foolish.

Dake could beat Taylor another 5 times in a row and there would still be posters arguing that Taylor is better.

Dake could beat Taylor another 5 times in a row and there would still be posters arguing that Taylor is better.

Haha Agreed!

Taylor needs a strength coach. Taylor is superior to Dake in the Tech dept but there is pretty big strength gap here.

Pretty hard to say definitively that Taylor is superior in the technique department when you're not the one wrestling the match. Just because Taylor ankle picks D1 college wrestlers doesn't necessarily mean that he has better technique than Dake, as technique encompasses a very broad spectrum. If someone honestly thinks that Dake is really that much stronger than Taylor that he can win matches on his strength while Taylor has indisputably greater technique, that person is crazy.

Dake is in Taylor's head in a big way and each time they meet, Dake's mental edge gets worse for Taylor

He's just a better wrestler than Taylor.

Has nothing to do with being in his "head" - if that's the case Taylor wouldn't score any points on Dake and would get tech'd or pinned each time they wrestle(d).

Again - Dake is just better.

He's just a better wrestler than Taylor.

Has nothing to do with being in his "head" - if that's the case Taylor wouldn't score any points on Dake and would get tech'd or pinned each time they wrestle(d).

Again - Dake is just better.

That's not necessarily true at all. McIlravy was definitely in Bono's head, and it was never a blow out. Hendricks was in Perry's head, you could tell by his reactions, but it wasn't a blow out. At this level, you're unlikely to be blowing out guys of this skill level. If a guy is in your head, you can keep it close even if you are unlikely to beat them, since you mentally aren't sure that you can.

Vak - Taylor isn't wrestling Dake to keep it close. It's easy to see he's been wrestling to win these matches. From the All-Star match to today.

He just can't. He's not hitting a mental wall because Dake is in his head. He's hitting a guy he can't defeat.

It's probably frustrating to him, but it's not because he's in his head.

The fact that Dake can capitalize on Taylor's offense but the reverse is not true tells you something. Taylor tends to get out of position still. Dake is the master of position.

Dake has superior technique from all positions, though this is not a big edge (still, Dake is more fundamentally sound, and at this level, that makes a difference)

Dake dictates the pace of the match and is thus able to slow it down when he needs to or pick it up and score when he needs to

Taylor may have better conditioning, but in two 3-minute periods, that's not a factor

Fully acknowledging that Dake is 5-0 against DT, considering that Dake seems to be significantly better in like seven out of seven of wrestling nerd's categories, it amazes me that Dake just doesn't go out there and give Taylor the old atomic wedgie at some point in their matches- rather than them going down the wire every time. :roll:

He didn't give him the wedgie, but he did slap him in the butt, which I thought was hilarious. A little gamesmanship in the middle of the match.

Look, I know you're from Ohio and like Taylor. I like him too. But which of the things I said do you disagree with? I didn't say that Dake's edge was a mile wide and a mile deep. I just listed what I thought were the differences.

The bolded claim you made is completely baseless and silly...all mixed in there with actual observations.

Congrats to Dake...now he has to beat Howe, Burroughs twice, and outplace him internationally to make the world team. That may be the toughest road to a world team ever! :shock:

Vak - Taylor isn't wrestling Dake to keep it close. It's easy to see he's been wrestling to win these matches. From the All-Star match to today.

He just can't. He's not hitting a mental wall because Dake is in his head. He's hitting a guy he can't defeat.

It's probably frustrating to him, but it's not because he's in his head.

That's what most people mean when they talk about a mental edge. ONe guy keeps coming close, but can never close the deal. You start to wonder "what the hell do I have to do to beat this guy?" Even though the matches are close, there's still a mental edge on display.

I think Dake and Taylor are pretty equal as far as technique, however, Taylor is DEFINITELY more entertaining to watch. Dake's crucial advantage is that he is physically stronger at this point and can horse Taylor around some. Dake is noticeably thicker even from a casual observation. If Taylor adds some muscle and strength to his frame I think he could definitely beat Dake.

I'm not sure about any of that. Like gmdband said, I think Dake is just stronger. A lot stronger.

Fully acknowledging that Dake is 5-0 against DT, considering that Dake seems to be significantly better in like seven out of seven of wrestling nerd's categories, it amazes me that Dake just doesn't go out there and give Taylor the old atomic wedgie at some point in their matches- rather than them going down the wire every time. :roll:

HAHA...maybe it's because they're friends?

Dake is becoming Taylor's worst nightmare.

The real question is if given the choice would you rather lose every match to Dake but WIN the one that sends you to the Olympics or win some lose some and not make the Olympics?

DT's goal of becoming an Olympic champion is still in tact!

To me it seems pretty clear that the primary reason Dake beats Taylor is because he's a better all-around athlete. His confidence is also soaring, which certainly doesn't hurt.

To prove my point about athleticism, just think about the difference between:

(1) When Taylor gets Dake in bad position

(2) When Dake gets Taylor in bad position

I guess you could say that Dake's technique gets him out of bad position, but I'm not in that camp. If you have good technique you don't get into bad positions. I think it is hard to compare their technique level anyhow given the substantial difference between their styles.

Here's a scary thought: Dake's athleticism with Taylor's style.