Idaho

What is the solution to NIL and Poaching?

10 hours ago, boconnell said:

I'm not talking about who is better or who will win or who will sustain.  I could care less who wins SEC football.  I brought it up in this conversation only because Texas A&M very obviously used huge NIL money to buy the best recruiting class in the country (a thing they wouldn't come close to doing without NIL).  This is what prompts Saban's comments.  Saban isn't speaking for the good of the game.  He's speaking as a guy who just had a bunch of recruits bought out from under him.  So using his comments as some kind of discourse on the health of college sports is a huge stretch.  

I don’t follow college football that closely but is it that unheard of for a team outside the top 2 or 3 to have the #1 recruiting class? (Like tOSU often does in wrestling, and interestingly recently did again seemingly with the help of NIL)

On 4/15/2022 at 2:01 PM, TheHeel said:

So because you either don't want athletes to get paid or you don't understand how the rule works, you decide to declare it unethical? Elite programs doing suspect bs? Operating inside the rules is now suspect? NIL deals are not suspect and they are not unethical, get off of your fake high horse. This is the next era of collegiate sports. Adapt or die. 

Some are....not in terms of NIL,  but if you are using NIL to recruit a kid,  there are some fine lines in the rules of what can and can't be done.    If you operate inside the rules you are good.  If you aren't,  then eat a bag of feces.   NIL deals are suspect if being used to incentivise individuals to leave their program from individuals/entities with invested interest in another program.   You can adapt to the rules,  but to pretend everyone is being ethical is the high horse's rear end!    Top programs are adapting.   But I think most of the programs on a ventilator as it is,  will have pulled plugs if they can't compete.   I just want to see coaches get canned if they can't maintain above 15 -20  on a regular basis across the board of all divisions.   But,  nobody wants to be a glorified babysitter at many of the non DI levels for making money less than a McDonald's manager.  

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

To ensure they are actually NIL deals and not pay for play or pay for commitment.

NIL deals are there to have a legal way to pay athletes. They aren't getting paid for not committing.

13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

But it’s not legal to get paid for committing. 

But the terms of a contract can state that the party must be a current student athlete at a school for the terms to be valid. That is just my opinion. I don't think anyone is getting NIL money without going to the school who is paying them...

2 hours ago, TheHeel said:

But the terms of a contract can state that the party must be a current student athlete at a school for the terms to be valid. That is just my opinion. I don't think anyone is getting NIL money without going to the school who is paying them...

Well the schools aren’t paying them so…

But yes, I could see something like that in a contract once the student is already at a school.  But honestly could also see that type of wording being illegal.

2 hours ago, TheHeel said:

But the terms of a contract can state that the party must be a current student athlete at a school for the terms to be valid. That is just my opinion. 

Pretty much the same as when boosters were paying athletes to not work summer jobs, except those were probably verbal contracts but private parties so nothing wrong with that, correct?  

21 minutes ago, ionel said:

Pretty much the same as when boosters were paying athletes to not work summer jobs, except those were probably verbal contracts but private parties so nothing wrong with that, correct?  

At the time this was going on, it was not illegal but it was against NCAA rules. Now, it is not against NCAA rules, as long as there is at least a minimal effort to associate some transfer of value to the payments.

nothing wrong with that? I don't know people's situations and I don't know what transpired in enough detail to assign my own personal brand of morality on a situation I have less than 1% of info about. I am all for wrestling getting $ into the ecosystem. I am all for wrestlers being paid for their services. I like that the NCAA has brought these deals out of the shadows. These deals had allegedly been going on for a long time and rather than risk a sports stability and rather than be in a position to perform investigations with minimal resources, the NCAA has decided its better for everyone to have a realistic set of rules that mirror what was already happening. No man-made system is free of human influence and therefore it won't be perfect. But this is the starting point and a lot of the issues we are talking about now will be solved in the coming years as we start to understand how to navigate the NIL landscape. Damn it - how did you get me to post something serious? 

Edited by TheHeel
forgot to answer your question

Interesting interview with Texas AM coach Jimbo Fisher yesterday on sports radio about NIL.  Echoes exactly what other coaches are saying.   Interesting that he ruins the narrative about Texas AM players getting g more in NIL. And that’s what won the recruiting battles.