treep2000

Prediction: Feldman

Posting here so we can look back and see how it went.

Predicting Feldman as the Junior World Team rep and medals at Junior Worlds.  Leaning even towards Gold at Junior Worlds.  

He passes the eye test to me.  Seems to be on the smaller side but his athleticism and shot technique is punishing.  After seeing Cassioppi, Parris, Kerkvliet and Schultz as all age group medalists, I'm currently putting Feldman as next in line to join the club.

Some may call this a low hanging fruit prediction, but, I also haven't seen much banter on Feldman other than what Ryan may do with him and Orndorff on the roster.  

When he gets to worlds he is going to have a problem with the length of some of those Eastern Bloc gents.  Even without Russia and Belarus, there are some long/big guys. 

Honestly, I hope he goes the Snyder route and focuses on 97kg to take over there when Cap'n decides to hang them up and coach.

Also, I think he beats Ornerydwarf out the gate.

I am with @Mphillips  that the only one that goes next season is Bouzakis.

Being as Mendez is going 61kg (~134.5lbs) at the Open here in a few weeks, as well as that dominating loss to Swiderski, it is obvious he will need a year to grow to 141.

If Bouzakis is dead set on going, let him - but shirt the others.  Unless the rest are blowing up the Open circuit and tOSU has a real shot at a trophy, that is.

18 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Predicting Feldman as the Junior World Team rep and medals at Junior Worlds. 

I may have taken for granted that most would have said/feel the same. He's the best wrestler in the country from 220 up and P4P rated at number three and could be higher...

Feldman has looked awesome whenever I've watched him, I think he's a better HS senior than those listed and the question is whether he's comparable to Snyder and Steveson 

1 minute ago, Weems said:

Feldman has looked awesome whenever I've watched him, I think he's a better HS senior than those listed and the question is whether he's comparable to Snyder and Steveson 

I intentionally left Gable off the post due to his trascendance...  Feldman is looking good to me though and could definitely see him on the tier of heavies that I originally posted about.  What will be interesting is if he conti us to progress, how, and what that may look like.

13 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

I intentionally left Gable off the post due to his trascendance...  Feldman is looking good to me though and could definitely see him on the tier of heavies that I originally posted about.  What will be interesting is if he conti us to progress, how, and what that may look like.

My thing with him is I think his frame is just too small.  He looks like a beefy 97kg guy who has simply not needed to cut due to fact that nobody his age, or younger, has been on his level physically or technically to actually challenge him on a dangerous or competitive level.

How much does he actually weigh?  He reminds me of Heflin, in that he is a physical monster with plenty of applicable speed, yet he doesn't look that laterally quick on his toes.  That is what I think the difference between him and HWT Snyder.  Before folks try to say 'Snyder had XXX amount of years to...' keep in mind that Snyder may have finished 2nd his true frosh year, but a few months later he defeated the defending Olympic champion en route to a World Title at 97kg (16lbs heavier than his competing weight class).  He then went 3 for 3 at HWT while weighing a sustainable 220-225lbs.

I don't know if he is even on Catka's level yet, let alone the same level as Parris, Kerkvliet, Schultzy, or Cassman.

Edited by nhs67

2 hours ago, Mphillips said:

My comments were strictly Freestyle age group related.

8 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

As were my comments.. 

Mine were rather mixed as far as prospects go.  Snyder went two age groups up for his World medal.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Mine were rather mixed as far as prospects go.  Snyder went two age groups up for his World medal.

true but U23 is barely a thing, most world medal level guys are there at 20-22 anyway

Post U20's follow-up, as I think we saw a "Tale of Two Feldman's":

• Feldman's match vs. Mora:  Either Mora is very good and has been flying under the radar, or, we saw a Feldman looking to conserve energy knowing that he would be going up against someone the size of a small mountain in the finals.  Either way, he won a nailbiter, on passivity points (if I recall), and didn't bring what I think most thought he would bring
  • Feldman's Finals match vs. Boersma:  As I watched them both step on the mat, the size difference between Feldman and Boersma was almost comical.  Going in, I had thought after the Mora match that Boersma was going to control ties, and control the tempo, stifling Feldman's attempts and pulling out the W. Oh... my... was.. I... wrong... 

His lift and plant for 4 was incredibly impressive given the almost comical size disparity.  Feldman does have the strength.  

His arm throw was a thing of beauty.  Technique and timing was flawless, and ended the match on an absolute exclamation point. 

Feldman is going to be our U20 World Team Rep with that type of showing.  

My question is that for the U20 division, who else could feasibly stop him domestically?  Who's already qualified that he has yet to see/beat?  

I'm very much looking forward to how he stacks up against the other athletically superior heavies, in the likes of Cass, Parris, Zillmer, as well as those heavies that cut to make the weight limit (i.e. Schultz).  

I still think he needs more size/strength to truly contend on the senior level, but I do think he's still on trajectory to be a World Medalist at HWT for the USA!

My opinion today is the same as before the U20 tournament. Great prospect, but probably not ready to beat Cass, Parris, Kerk or Schultz. 
No probably about it. 0 chance currently, but after 2024 Olympics. He'll be strongly in the mix

5 minutes ago, spladle08 said:
1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:
My opinion today is the same as before the U20 tournament. Great prospect, but probably not ready to beat Cass, Parris, Kerk or Schultz. 

No probably about it. 0 chance currently, but after 2024 Olympics. He'll be strongly in the mix

I was half saying that by the end of next season  I actually like him against pretty much everyone else with college eligibility. 

Edited by TBar1977

3 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

What does he weigh? Can we see what he weighed on Track? For the life of me I cannot figure out how to find tournaments on that website once it has ended.

He's 5"11" and 230 per a recent article.

On 5/2/2022 at 8:51 AM, juniorvarsity said:

What does he weigh? Can we see what he weighed on Track? For the life of me I cannot figure out how to find tournaments on that website once it has ended.

He weighed in at 226.8 #s  at the Walsh Ironman tournament on 12/11/21.  His frame already looks pretty well filled out but I couls see him getting up to 240 lbs or so as he matures