Yianni to MMA?

OK yes thank you for settling that debate, sorry guess I was trying to think of current guys that have just started going to MMA.
I mean Bo really did have a chance to continue his career in Freestyle (even though it would be years down the road) but his popularity wouldve carried him a ways, he just chose to capitalize on it now. Hope he makes UFC or even Bellator .... Yainni just seems like a wrestler only.... But 0% was low
#CheersBrother
hope all wrestlers succeed.

On 4/11/2022 at 8:44 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Not so sure about that.  Pico was a similar level recruit as YD in HS, and has better striking.  Look how Aaron's MMA career turned out.  YD needs to focus on freestyle and end our 65kg world/Olympic medal drought.

Pico is 25 years old (many years left in his fighting 'prime')  - is 10-3 and has won his last 6 fights.  Last loss was in 2019.  I'm pretty sure his career is going very well.  I would say we will see Pico in the UFC in the next 12-16 months.  

On 4/11/2022 at 5:44 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Not so sure about that.  Pico was a similar level recruit as YD in HS, and has better striking.  Look how Aaron's MMA career turned out.  YD needs to focus on freestyle and end our 65kg world/Olympic medal drought.

Pico got 1M dollars to sign as a 17 year old. He is getting paid and will retire as a millionaire from the fight game. 

Those of you saying YD wouldn't be good at MMA are insane. Wrestling is a regulated fight. If you give YD more options, he will master them and use them. He is a warrior and he is a champion. DC was not a brawler. He was an okie state leg attacking big guy. Turned out okay for him. I am all for these dudes getting paid. MMA has helped wrestling in so many ways, but some old school wrestling people still see it as a blood sport. Oh well. Can't make everyone happy. 

32 minutes ago, Dartsingle said:

Pico is 25 years old (many years left in his fighting 'prime')  - is 10-3 and has won his last 6 fights.  Last loss was in 2019.  I'm pretty sure his career is going very well.  I would say we will see Pico in the UFC in the next 12-16 months.  

People wanted to sell on him after he lost to some grown men as a 20 year old. He is on fire right now. He will be a contender.

On 4/12/2022 at 8:27 PM, Lunaticfringe said:

I meant at the higher levels like Bellator and UFC. At this point these guys like Nickal, McKee, Meredith are fighting guys who probably couldn’t even hack it training at there levels and won a bar fight and thought they could kick someone’s ass.

McKee sub'd Darrion Caldwell.

1 hour ago, TheHeel said:

Pico got 1M dollars to sign as a 17 year old. He is getting paid and will retire as a millionaire from the fight game. 

Those of you saying YD wouldn't be good at MMA are insane. Wrestling is a regulated fight. If you give YD more options, he will master them and use them. He is a warrior and he is a champion. DC was not a brawler. He was an okie state leg attacking big guy. Turned out okay for him. I am all for these dudes getting paid. MMA has helped wrestling in so many ways, but some old school wrestling people still see it as a blood sport. Oh well. Can't make everyone happy. 

Totally agree!!  Heck...look at Askren's success (who is one of my favorite NCAA wrestlers of all time).  He had absolutely no striking abilities, didn't really develop it into a world class skill (and continued to suck at it), and he still had a lot of success in MMA.  As TheHeel said wrestling is essentially a legal fight, and all the talking heads of MMA have agreed that a wrestling base is the best base to have in regards to a successful MMA career. 

Guys at the world calls level of wrestling like YD would have a lot of success if they dedicated themselves to MMA.

2 hours ago, Dartsingle said:

Apparently he just signed a “multi-year” deal with Bellator on April 1st

2 hours ago, Dartsingle said:

Yes and no. I doubt it is what he expected.  He does look like a world beater right now.  I think he has improved a lot and can fight some contenders now.  

After his last loss, he changed strategies with respect to opponent selection. Nothing but tomato cans right now.  That is what he should have done 6 years ago.   Also, he was in the same gym with McKee and it was he that chose to leave so that may mean something.

3 hours ago, TheHeel said:

You fail to acknowledge the brain trauma that Pico may already suffer, or will suffer later on in life.  

We can all agree that wrestling is a tough sport, but it is not a fight.  There are no submissions in wrestling and definitely no strikes.  It is unclear how much no-gi bjj, boxing, and/or muay thai/kickboxing YD has trained, if any.  We don't know how YD will respond when someone like Volkanovski, Holloway, or Kattar (all guys his size) breaks his nose or turns his lights out.  Just because guys DC and Cejudo won the UFC championship doesn't mean all high-level wrestlers will have the same success.  

39 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

You fail to acknowledge the brain trauma that Pico may already suffer, or will suffer later on in life.

I believe it's acknowledged the same way many contact sports are, wrestling included. It happens and folks are aware of it. I'm not stirring the pot here, just not sure what there is to say?

2 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I believe it's acknowledged the same way many contact sports are, wrestling included. It happens and folks are aware of it. I'm not stirring the pot here, just not sure what there is to say?

His comment was that Pico is a millionaire.  My response was that: is that will the long-term effects of fighting be worth the $1 million that Pico earned from mma?  YD is a smart guy; I'd imagine that he will take this into consideration when deciding whether to pursue mma.  

10 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

His comment was that Pico is a millionaire.  My response was that: is that will the long-term effects of fighting be worth the $1 million that Pico earned from mma?  YD is a smart guy; I'd imagine that he will take this into consideration when deciding whether to pursue mma.  

Do you know if Pico will have long-term effects?  And do you know if he does in fact have them, he will say the $$ isn't worth it?  And final question, don't you think that a reason people can make good $$ doing it is because of the inherent danger of long-term physical damage...aka, they know the risks, are grown ass adults, and can make their own decisions??

16 hours ago, TheHeel said:

Wow, one million dollars? So as long as he hasn't spent anything, he will be a millionaire.  I'm sure his agent, trainers, facilities, medical insurance, etc didn't/don't continue to take a huge cut of his money.  

I think if he had stuck with wrestling, he would have made significantly more money.  He was on a trajectory that I think would have taken him to world/olympic medals.  As a wrestler, he was a superstar.  In MMA, he is a professional fighter, but not nearly as successful as people thought he'd be and basically a non entity outside of the most hardcore MMA fans (and international wrestling fans).  That's not to say he doesn't end up making the UFC one day, but the odds are stacked against him at this point.  

I just hope that the move to MMA was following his passion-that his heart wasn't in wrestling anymore and his dream was to be an MMA fighter.  And that it wasn't motivated by finances, since clearly it has not proven to be a savvy financial move (yet). 

16 hours ago, Dartsingle said:

His career isn't going anyone near to what was expected given the hype/talent. He was both a world class wrestler and allegedly an elite boxer when he was 19-20 and turned pro in MMA. 3 losses prior to fighting any of the top fighters in his weight was a huge surprise.  The biggest question about Pico continues to be his chin, and that won't be answered until he once again faces top competition and is challenged. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

38 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Do you know if Pico will have long-term effects?  And do you know if he does in fact have them, he will say the $$ isn't worth it?  And final question, don't you think that a reason people can make good $$ doing it is because of the inherent danger of long-term physical damage...aka, they know the risks, are grown ass adults, and can make their own decisions??

For somebody like Rosholt, Askren, or Cormier, this is definitely the case.  But Pico turned pro in MMA at like age 19, and was cross training for years before that. It was a path for him well before he was an adult. Yes, MMA may have been his passion above wrestling, which was really just a path for him to MMA.  Or maybe he had many people who had invested in him pressuring him to produce some return on that investment for them in MMA. It's really a unique situation in wrestling where a group of adults are counting on a high school age athlete to produce for them.  It's a story that will be an extremely interesting flo doc when his MMA career is over and he can properly look back and reflect on both his time in wrestling and MMA. He is probably one of the more interesting athletes to have competed in the sport.

One thing is clear though, Pico was a much better wrestler than he is MMA fighter.  Does anyone doubt that he would have won multiple world medals including possibly some gold?  The guy was awesome to watch on the mat, could hand fight better than almost anyone i've ever seen, and had an insane motor.  In MMA, he is a liability to get knocked out, although is on a nice winning streak.  

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Wow, one million dollars? So as long as he hasn't spent anything, he will be a millionaire.  I'm sure his agent, trainers, facilities, medical insurance, etc didn't/don't continue to take a huge cut of his money.  

I think if he had stuck with wrestling, he would have made significantly more money.  He was on a trajectory that I think would have taken him to world/olympic medals.  As a wrestler, he was a superstar.  In MMA, he is a professional fighter, but not nearly as successful as people thought he'd be and basically a non entity outside of the most hardcore MMA fans (and international wrestling fans).  That's not to say he doesn't end up making the UFC one day, but the odds are stacked against him at this point.  

I just hope that the move to MMA was following his passion-that his heart wasn't in wrestling anymore and his dream was to be an MMA fighter.  And that it wasn't motivated by finances, since clearly it has not proven to be a savvy financial move (yet). 

He just signed another deal with Bellator

5 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

His career isn't going anyone near to what was expected given the hype/talent. He was both a world class wrestler and allegedly an elite boxer when he was 19-20 and turned pro in MMA. 3 losses prior to fighting any of the top fighters in his weight was a huge surprise.  The biggest question about Pico continues to be his chin, and that won't be answered until he once again faces top competition and is challenged. 

I guess it all depends on how much he could have made in wrestling. Does anyone know. Had he gone to college, he could have made NIL money. I have never heard any authoritative reporting on what a top college wrestler can make that way. Is it $10K per year? $50K? $100K? Does anyone know? I for one have not seen a product endorsed by an NCAA wrestler. 

Had he skipped college and just wrestled with a club, how much would he get paid if he made a national team? Won a world medal? A world gold? All of these levels were possible for him, but not guaranteed.

Also is the $1 million contract he signed for one year or multiple years?

6 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

What is it like being insanely jealous of a kid who made more by the time he was 17 than you have in any 5 year span of your life? You think the million was the only $ he got? He has sponsors, social media revenue, a bellator contract etc. I wonder what Monster energy pays him? 

Thats him talking about his sponsors. I bet he makes a mil a year on sponsor deals. You are a relic. The world is passing you by and instead of having an open mind and learning, you lash out at the new generation and lament about how a hyper successful MMA star on a 6 match win streak is a loser for not wrestling for free in college. LOL 

58 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I guess it all depends on how much he could have made in wrestling. Does anyone know. Had he gone to college, he could have made NIL money. I have never heard any authoritative reporting on what a top college wrestler can make that way. Is it $10K per year? $50K? $100K? Does anyone know? I for one have not seen a product endorsed by an NCAA wrestler. 

Had he skipped college and just wrestled with a club, how much would he get paid if he made a national team? Won a world medal? A world gold? All of these levels were possible for him, but not guaranteed.

He wouldn't have made NIL money, he should've graduated before this year.

I believe the $1 million was about the estimated value for his initial long-term contract which was originally signed in 2014.  He just re-signed this month, so I assume that may mean the original one just recently expired or was about to expire and this is in addition.  He also has endorsement deals. 

It would be super tough IMO for him to make more than he has/will simply wrestling.  However, he could have went to college for free, tried to make the 2020/2021 Olympic team and then went to MMA and possibly still made a similar amount at that point.

9 hours ago, dman115 said:

I'm not a doctor, but he took some bad shots in his losses at Bellator 214 and 222. You don't know the effects until years down the line.

5 hours ago, TheHeel said:

What is it like being insanely jealous of a kid who made more by the time he was 17 than you have in any 5 year span of your life? You think the million was the only $ he got? He has sponsors, social media revenue, a bellator contract etc. I wonder what Monster energy pays him? 

Thats him talking about his sponsors. I bet he makes a mil a year on sponsor deals. You are a relic. The world is passing you by and instead of having an open mind and learning, you lash out at the new generation and lament about how a hyper successful MMA star on a 6 match win streak is a loser for not wrestling for free in college. LOL 

What does this have to do with me? I’m simply pointing out that he probably would have made more money if he continued wrestling. I think extremely highly of him and think he would have achieved the success and marketability level of Dake/Taylor.  He was on pace to be one of the best in the world in wrestling, but instead has been in the middle of the Bellator rankings for years. Maybe he will make it to UFC one day, but MMA is an unforgiving sport and a single punch/kick has the potential to erase three years of progress.  

The training costs in MMA are huge, since the athletes have to pay for their own training camps. Pico made 75K for his last fight and fights 2-3 times per year. After all costs with training/insurance, how much does he keep? There’s a whole movement in MMA about the fighters other than the superstars being severely underpaid for the risks they are subject to. 

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

He wouldn't have made NIL money, he should've graduated before this year.

I believe the $1 million was about the estimated value for his initial long-term contract which was originally signed in 2014.  He just re-signed this month, so I assume that may mean the original one just recently expired or was about to expire and this is in addition.  He also has endorsement deals. 

It would be super tough IMO for him to make more than he has/will simply wrestling.  However, he could have went to college for free, tried to make the 2020/2021 Olympic team and then went to MMA and possibly still made a similar amount at that point.

6 hours ago, NJDan said:

These are great questions. I don’t know the answers, but I’m pretty sure between RTC income, endorsements, medal bonuses, clinic fees, side businesses, Dake and Taylor are doing very well for themselves. Metcalf too.  I consider Pico to have been at the level of Dake/Taylor and better than Metcalf.

In MMA, athletes have to assume the costs of their training and health insurance. That is a huge drain and why the money is really in being like a Jones, Cormier, Masvidal, McGregor where you can draw PPV buys. 

For somebody like Nickal, who wouldn’t have made a world team for years, or Cormier/Askren, who had already gone as far as they would have in wrestling, the decision to switch is low risk (other than health). Pico left a lot on the table when he moved though, and at this point somebody like Yianni, who has an extremely high ceiling in wrestling, should view it as a cautionary tale. I think Pico was a better MMA prospect than Yianni. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

I think Pico was a better MMA prospect than Yianni. 

This was my original point when I brought Aaron's name up in this thread. He and Aaron were similar level recruits coming out of HS, and Aaron has far superior striking.  

As you mentioned in your most recent post, guys like Dake and Taylor are doing well for themselves focusing on their international freestyle careers.  He was our world team rep last year and his weight (65) doesn't have a guy blocking him like how Taylor is blocking Nickal.  

For these reasons, YD will probably never do MMA, and follow the path of Dake and Taylor.

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

These are great questions. I don’t know the answers, but I’m pretty sure between RTC income, endorsements, medal bonuses, clinic fees, side businesses, Dake and Taylor are doing very well for themselves. Metcalf too.  I consider Pico to have been at the level of Dake/Taylor and better than Metcalf.

In MMA, athletes have to assume the costs of their training and health insurance. That is a huge drain and why the money is really in being like a Jones, Cormier, Masvidal, McGregor where you can draw PPV buys. 

For somebody like Nickal, who wouldn’t have made a world team for years, or Cormier/Askren, who had already gone as far as they would have in wrestling, the decision to switch is low risk (other than health). Pico left a lot on the table when he moved though, and at this point somebody like Yianni, who has an extremely high ceiling in wrestling, should view it as a cautionary tale. I think Pico was a better MMA prospect than Yianni. 

Yeah if the debate is about “when” Pico went to MMA, I can get on board with the argument that he probably didn’t have to do it so early.

If the debate is he could have made similar money without ever going to MMA, I’m not sure I buy that.  I’d guess Burroughs is the only full-time wrestler making close to what Pico makes (maybe more).  So basically the bar is set at being possibly the greatest US wrestler of all time in order to make as much money as Pico is making being above average in the minor leagues of MMA.

Dake (and probably Snyder) may be doing “very well for themselves,” but I doubt making as much as Pico.  Taylor may be but his club is probably what puts him ahead.  Metcalf is a college coach but I doubt makes as much as Pico.

I’m sure Yianni will coach once he’s done competing, so will probably have a comfortable career.  But even Askren (without his wrestling club) probably made more money than even Burroughs by being a champion in the minor leagues without being very successful in the UFC.