BAC

What's tOSU's Potential Next Year?

1 hour ago, DocBZ said:

Feldman has already stated in interviews that the plan is for him to redshirt. I would personally love to see him wrestle next year though.

Smart. As technically sou d as he is, he would get horsed right now by bigger stronger guys. 

44 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Last season's lineup with Paddy at 57 and Bouzakis at 33.

What do you think Paddy's ceiling is? #1 PFP in Willie's 2021 class ... solid but not spectacular RS results. 

Feldman would be behind Parris, Cassioppi, Kerkvliet and Schultz ... but I think he can beat anyone else at heavyweight and he could give some of those Top 4 guys a solid match. He's very good. Redshirting would be a good idea since there's a good chance Kerkvliet is done after next season and Parris is definitely done. He can legitimately be a heavyweight contender after that. 

4 hours ago, DocBZ said:

Next year no....but in 2-3 years very much so. Lots of hints and rumors that Ohio State is not nearly done with recruiting in the 2022 and 2023 classes and there are some big names being floated out there. Ryan has said as much in an interview that was given a week or 2 ago.

Interesting as Willie said Ralph told him they were out of money.

4 hours ago, BAC said:

Mostly agree with these comments, except I think people are way too high on D'Emilio and are understating how good Mendez will be from day 1.  Same with Bouzakis.  Hope Ryan lets both of them start if they earn it.  I'd love to see Feldman too but I can't expect them to bench a 6th year, past-AA in Orndorff. 

What if Feldman is regularly beating the pants off Orndorf in the room and killing it against good competition in open tournaments?  Does TR pull the shirt then? 

1 hour ago, IGotAPlan said:

Feldman would be behind Parris, Cassioppi, Kerkvliet and Schultz ... but I think he can beat anyone else at heavyweight and he could give some of those Top 4 guys a solid match. He's very good. Redshirting would be a good idea since there's a good chance Kerkvliet is done after next season and Parris is definitely done. He can legitimately be a heavyweight contender after that. 

Why would Kerk be done? he has 3 years of eligibility left.

8 hours ago, BLT said:

Dunno but the interview is on YouTube just search Tom Ryan Ohio State. But that’s exactly what Ryan said as of 2 weeks ago…that they weren’t done in 2022 and 2023 recruiting wise.

Edited by DocBZ

13 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Mendez was undersized against Swiderski.

He is wrestling 61kg(134lbs) at the Open.  How will he not be undersized for 141 Folkstyle?

Exactly.  He needs a redshirt year to fill into a decent sized 141.  Mendez is extremely talented, but it might look a little like Micic at 141 if he doesn't redshirt this year.

9 hours ago, BLT said:

They may be out of money for 2022 outside of NIL potential, but they won’t be out of money for the 2023 class. 

Losing atleast Smith, Romero and Orndorff after next year. 

10 hours ago, lu1979 said:

What if Feldman is regularly beating the pants off Orndorf in the room and killing it against good competition in open tournaments?  Does TR pull the shirt then? 

Feldman is basically at the level of Orndorff this year already IMO. Feldman has beaten some college guys at the Clarion Open this year at about the same level as Orndorff. I mean I hate the transitive property but Feldman beat Knighton-Ward 10-3 at the Clarion Ward and Orndorff beat him 11-3 at NCAA's last year. Feldman also beat Jacob Slinger of Pitt 11-3 at the Clarion Open and Orndorff beat him a couple weeks later 10-2.

So I think it's fair to assume that Feldman will be better than Orndorff next year. But better enough to burn his RS? Maybe not...

Edited by DocBZ

10 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Why would Kerk be done? he has 3 years of eligibility left.

I think Kerk has hinted about this and most PSU fans think this to be the case as well I believe. Doubt he stays 3 more years.

19 hours ago, DocBZ said:

Also I wouldn't put much stock in the Swiderski loss. Fist off Swiderski is a stud.  Plus it's basically a tale of one guy getting bigger and bigger and the other guy is not. Mendez is gonna wrestle 61 kg at the US open which is about 134lbs  and he wrestled Swiderski at a catch weight of 145lbs. Swiderski has wrestled as large as 160 in 2022 already. Look back at all the freestyle wins Mendez has over accomplished college level wrestlers when he was a just a junior in HS  and you'll understand why he is ranked as high as he is.

Fully agree with this.  I have Mendez at about an Alirez level right now, and climbing.  Not  convinced tOSU is capable of helping him level-jump but he'll have good workout partners.  He may be a touch small for 141 next year but not by much and he's still growing. D'Emilio, by contrast, is that guy who everyone thinks is better than he really is because he loses 4-1 instead of 10-1, but he never beats anyone good and seldom scores bonus.  tOSU is crazy if they bench Mendez.  If they do I'll be curious to see if they're able to hold on to him.

Edited by BAC

I’ll say this I think Tom Ryan will be aggressive with the big 3 in this class.

If they are better and are ready to go I think Bouzakis, Mendez and Feldman all go. It’s a bad look if any one of the three leaves because they got redshirted 

2 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

Is tOSU the favorite to win Big Tens in the 2023-2024 season?

I ask this with only having knowledge of tOSU recruits. I do not pay attention to recruits at other schools.

Easy answer is NO.  PSU will still have Starocci and Brooks and should still have Kerkvliet.  After that you still have Howard, Van Ness, Haines, Facundo and Beard.  Now, if tOSU's young guys all show massive development this upcoming season, that could be revisited.  But, for now, PSU is set up for the next couple seasons without much that I can see in their way...

Edited to add:  I didn't even include Bartlett.  PSU will be very tough to beat the next couple years for sure and probably much beyond that.

Edited by MSU158

3 hours ago, BAC said:

Fully agree with this.  Also, people act like Swidwerski ragdolled Mendez, when in fact Mendez was ahead almost the whole match, and was in on a tying takedown at the end, despite being clearly undersized.  More to the point, some of you guys need to lay off the transitive property and just watch the kid wrestle.  I have him at about an Alirez level right now, and climbing.  Not  convinced tOSU is capable of helping him level-jump but he'll have good workout partners.  He may be a touch small for 141 next year but not by much and he's still growing. D'Emilio, by contrast, is that guy who everyone thinks is better than he really is because he loses 4-1 instead of 10-1, but he never beats anyone good and seldom scores bonus.  tOSU is crazy if they bench Mendez.  If they do I'll be curious to see if they're able to hold on to him.

Their match at Who's #1 was close like you say, but their most recent match at the Super Match thing was not.  Swiderski dominated him from the get go, almost getting a major

On 4/11/2022 at 4:34 PM, MSU158 said:

I am not fully sold on Mendez.  I think he absolutely needs that first year in the room.  Swiderski worked him pretty good and I think he would also benefit a bunch from a 1st year redshirt.   But, I do agree when it comes to Bouzakis.  He is one of the most impressive high school wrestlers I have watched in quite a while.  The past few years he has really impressed me.  He seems like a very complete wrestler.  Now, the only thing that scares me with that is, can he jump levels in DI or has he already leveled off?  If his learning curve matches his work ethic, he could be another Logan Stieber type that puts them on another 4-5 year run.

But, looking at next year's best possible line up,  I still think they are probably fighting Iowa for 3rd place and am pretty confident PSU runs away with it and ASU takes 2nd...

tOSU 2022-2023

125:  Heinselman-2-5 points R12 is about his ceiling

133:  If this isn't Bouzakis, I don't see points here.  I really don't want to speculate on Bouzakis points until I actually see him wrestle attached.

141:  D'Emillio  I think this is his weight for certain this season.  I would say his production would be very similar to Heinselman.

149:  Sasso  10-18 points or so.  He could take 5th again and he could also be in the Finals.  But, I would feel pretty confident saying 5th is about his low end without significant injury.

157:  Gallagher- For now, I would look for something similar to 125 and 141 in production.  He had a solid redshirt, but no notable wins and 2 losses that aren't overly encouraging.

165: Kharchla-He found out just how deep 165 was finishing 7th.  The weight still stays pretty brutal, even with Wick, Marinelli, Wentzel and Valencia all gone.  Wittlake should be back and healthy and O'Toole, Griffith, Amine, Hamiti, Wittlake, Hall, Ramiraez, Conigliaro and McCoy still round out a pretty solid top 10.  WIth that said, I would expect a top 5 finish this year and 10-16 points seems a proper range for now.

174:  Smith-With Hidlay, Kemerer and Massa gone, he has a good chance to be battling plot for a mid range podium finish.  7-15 points is a pretty good range.

184:  Romero-The top 4 are out of reach, but I think he is the best of the rest.  10-15 points is another good range.

197:  Hoffman-He finally made good relative to his expectations coming out of High School.  Now, was it a bit of a fluke?  Maybe, but I think his confidence from that run should be enough to get him on the podium again.  4-10 point range.

285:  Orndorff-  Unless Feldman runs into a top 3 guy unattached and pins him, he isn't coming out of redshirt.  Tate is "Steady Eddie" and should squeeze into a bottom rung slot.  2-7 point range.

So, that puts them anywhere from 49-88 points, without figuring for Bouzakis.  Like I said, I think that is enough to get them a team trophy, but I think they are WAAAY behind PSU, even at their best and I just don't see them catching ASU and Iowa will be a dogfight...

Swiderski just won a state title in March at 152, and wrestled up at 160 throughout the year at times.

Mendez is registered at 61KG (134.48lbs) for an upcomIng freestyle event, won his title ‘UP’ at 138 pounds, and even the match against Swiderski was up at a 145 pound catch weight at the Rudis event.

Mendez’s dad has been vocal that Mendez has a hard time keeping weight on to weigh 138 because of how hard he works out every single day. Mendez may actually go 133 next year, not 141if he doesn’t redshirt fyi.

So in saying all that, and without being super familiar with the Rudis event weigh ins… Swiderski could have EASIlLY had 15-20 pounds on Mendez by time they wrestled, maybe more if Swiderski is the type who can shed and put back on 10 pounds of water weight in a 24 hour period…

Mendez appears to be at a certain weight all the time, and it’s typically not heavy enough for where he’s wrestled…. Again according to his dad not me.

12 hours ago, DocBZ said:

I think Kerk has hinted about this and most PSU fans think this to be the case as well I believe. Doubt he stays 3 more years.

Correct, I think Kerk always wanted to be out of school (or at least folk wrestling) by 2023 (why he tried wrestling for PSU in 2020 after he midsemester transferred) so he can focus on the Olympics in 2024 and then go into MMA after. With his injury history, I'd be shocked if he wrestles folk in 2023-2024 and risk injury for the Olympics. Then after that, I'd be shocked if he wants to wrestle in college anymore. 

Edited by IGotAPlan

1 hour ago, Aviator12 said:

Swiderski just won a state title in March at 152, and wrestled up at 160 throughout the year at times.

Mendez is registered at 61KG (134.48lbs) for an upcomIng freestyle event, won his title ‘UP’ at 138 pounds, and even the match against Swiderski was up at a 145 pound catch weight at the Rudis event.

Mendez’s dad has been vocal that Mendez has a hard time keeping weight on to weigh 138 because of how hard he works out every single day. Mendez may actually go 133 next year, not 141if he doesn’t redshirt fyi.

So in saying all that, and without being super familiar with the Rudis event weigh ins… Swiderski could have EASIlLY had 15-20 pounds on Mendez by time they wrestled, maybe more if Swiderski is the type who can shed and put back on 10 pounds of water weight in a 24 hour period…

Mendez appears to be at a certain weight all the time, and it’s typically not heavy enough for where he’s wrestled…. Again according to his dad not me.

I am quite up to date on Swiderski. I have probably watched him more than every other poster on here combined.  He wrestled up simply because he was that good and it helped the team win.  By all accounts he could make 141 this year for ISU with no issue if they decide to let him go right out of the gate. 

Meanwhile, Mendez isn’t going 133. The only way he does, will be because Bouzakis wants to redshirt. He simply isn’t beating him out for the spot. So, if he is that undersized for 141, my overall point stays the same. He NEEDS to redshirt and take that time to get bigger and stronger. 

10 hours ago, Aviator12 said:

So if that is the case is that Mendez may be able to man 133 for a year is there any chance that Bouzakis could go 125?  Does Nick B cut a lot of weight to make 132?