BAC

What's tOSU's Potential Next Year?

2 hours ago, lu1979 said:

So if that is the case is that Mendez may be able to man 133 for a year is there any chance that Bouzakis could go 125?  Does Nick B cut a lot of weight to make 132?

Maybe if he didn't touch a single weight for like a year and switched to an all plant diet.

Edited by DocBZ

16 hours ago, IGotAPlan said:

Correct, I think Kerk always wanted to be out of school (or at least folk wrestling) by 2023 (why he tried wrestling for PSU in 2020 after he midsemester transferred) so he can focus on the Olympics in 2024 and then go into MMA after. With his injury history, I'd be shocked if he wrestles folk in 2023-2024 and risk injury for the Olympics. Then after that, I'd be shocked if he wants to wrestle in college anymore. 

Agreed. He is a "sophomore" next year(2022-2023) and then will take an Olympic year the next(2023-2024). I think there is a good chance he is the guy too.

With this NIL stuff, you never know what he will do in 2024-2025. He might stick around. Depending on his freestyle success, he might be able to make more money wrestling at PSU than his other options. He would definitely make more money at PSU than some regional MMA promotion. It is not like he will be in the UFC in 2025. That takes years of training. 

7 hours ago, Riz23 said:

That’s a really hard cut for Bouzakis at 125, but probably no worse than what Latona for VT does every year. 

Why would Bouzakis cut to 125 when there is a huge hole in the lineup at 133?

3 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

Agreed. He is a "sophomore" next year(2022-2023) and then will take an Olympic year the next(2023-2024). I think there is a good chance he is the guy too.

With this NIL stuff, you never know what he will do in 2024-2025. He might stick around. Depending on his freestyle success, he might be able to make more money wrestling at PSU than his other options. He would definitely make more money at PSU than some regional MMA promotion. It is not like he will be in the UFC in 2025. That takes years of training. 

NIL can change a lot for sure. Especially since by 2024-2025, you imagine the NIL initiative that just launched (where PSU's biggest wrestling booster Ira Lubert is Chairman and David Taylor is on the board) will be full blown operational. Probably can get him insane amounts of money. 

As for MMA, Kerk said he wants to start fighting this summer (he's not leaving school) ... not a bad idea, get some amateur fights (that should be relatively easy for an athlete/wrestler of his abilities) build a resume ready to get signed by a promotion right after you're done with college. 

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

Why would Bouzakis cut to 125 when there is a huge hole in the lineup at 133?

Read a few posts back there was a discussion about a hypothetical Mendez at 133 and Bouzakis at 125 for a year 

15 minutes ago, Riz23 said:

Read a few posts back there was a discussion about a hypothetical Mendez at 133 and Bouzakis at 125 for a year 

I read that post and there is no way that happens.  Malik is a senior and Ryan lets him finish out his eligibility.  

They didn't bring Bouzakis in to suck him down to 125 and wrestle-off Malik.  He wouldn't be effective at 125 anyway.  Bouzakis either keeps the RS on or they let him go as a true freshman at 133.  

Never been as high on Mendez as the rest of you guys.  He is a really good HS prospect, but it is a big jump to college.  IMO Mendez uses his RS this year and they try to get him to become a full-sized 141.

8 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

I read that post and there is no way that happens.  Malik is a senior and Ryan lets him finish out his eligibility.  

They didn't bring Bouzakis in to suck him down to 125 and wrestle-off Malik.  He wouldn't be effective at 125 anyway.  Bouzakis either keeps the RS on or they let him go as a true freshman at 133.  

Never been as high on Mendez as the rest of you guys.  He is a really good HS prospect, but it is a big jump to college.  IMO Mendez uses his RS this year and they try to get him to become a full-sized 141.

Yea that’s why I said 125 would be a really hard cut for Bouzakis…

Mendez is ultra talented just needs to live in the weight room for a year 

On 4/13/2022 at 8:46 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Mendez reminds me a lot of Serrano of Nebraska in that he has seemed to stop growing and he was recruited for a specific weight range, but he is still small for that as of now.  He may need more than just a year to grow in to it.  If he takes too many lumps, which young studs in the B1G tend to do, confidence may become an issue and mediocrity may become the standard there.

He wrestled 138 for the season, pretty much.  He is dropping to 134 for the Open.  That is the opposite way of 141.

By comparison Swiderski didn't cut any weight at all for the entire season and worked on getting bigger and better.  Wrestled 152 bumping to 160 (Michigan has the old weights still).

They met in the middle at 145 at the Rudis event.  Swiderski said he made the weight easily.  Wasn't a problem at all and that he could have gone 141 if they had wanted.  He is now on full adjustment to 141, because he intends to be 141 at the next level.

Mendez needs to be going 65kg right now.  If he is too small for it, then he is too small for Folkstyle 141.  I hope it isn't a problem of 'Who do we send at 133 now because one isn't or hasn't grown.' because I all aboard that 'tOSU title contender in 2-3 years' train.  All that young talent?  Yes please.   They need to pan out, though. 

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Mendez reminds me a lot of Serrano of Nebraska in that he has seemed to stop growing and he was recruited for a specific weight range, but he is still small for that as of now.  He may need more than just a year to grow in to it.  If he takes too many lumps, which young studs in the B1G tend to do, confidence may become an issue and mediocrity may become the standard there.

He wrestled 138 for the season, pretty much.  He is dropping to 134 for the Open.  That is the opposite way of 141.

By comparison Swiderski didn't cut any weight at all for the entire season and worked on getting bigger and better.  Wrestled 152 bumping to 160 (Michigan has the old weights still).

They met in the middle at 145 at the Rudis event.  Swiderski said he made the weight easily.  Wasn't a problem at all and that he could have gone 141 if they had wanted.  He is now on full adjustment to 141, because he intends to be 141 at the next level.

Mendez needs to be going 65kg right now.  If he is too small for it, then he is too small for Folkstyle 141.  I hope it isn't a problem of 'Who do we send at 133 now because one isn't or hasn't grown.' because I all aboard that 'tOSU title contender in 2-3 years' train.  All that young talent?  Yes please.   They need to pan out, though. 

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you posted.  I got a lot of pushback on a Mendez thread several months back when I made a comment that I didn't see what all the hype was about with this kid.  The way those posters were talking about him was like he was a program changing recruit on the level of Spencer Lee, Yianni, or Gable Steveson, that could step in immediately and contend for a NCAA title.  Now that several months have gone by and he's taken a second L to Swiderski, he clearly is not.  He is just like any other blue chip, in-coming freshman recruit that should take a redshirt year to get stronger and improve his mat wrestling.  Not hating; I wish Mendez the best.

2 hours ago, BadgerMon said:

See..... I know stuff without really knowing stuff

Everyone on this forum knew it before you mentioned it.  It has been talked about in this thread and at least three in the first page of the College Wrestling subsection of this forum alone.

OSU needs to to just redshirt Mendez, Booze, Geog, Shumate and Feldman next season and gear up for 23/24 when Welsh and Vinny K arrive. (Hopefully 1 or 2 others big time recruits)

Fill in 133 with another backup or a transfer. Not beating PSU, ASU, and a few others next season regardless. 

2 hours ago, RandolphJones said:

OSU needs to to just redshirt Mendez, Booze, Geog, Shumate and Feldman next season and gear up for 23/24 when Welsh and Vinny K arrive. (Hopefully 1 or 2 others big time recruits)

Fill in 133 with another backup or a transfer. Not beating PSU, ASU, and a few others next season regardless. 

I believe all but Bouzakis RS.

32 minutes ago, RandolphJones said:

I think its a waste to have any of these recruits wrestle their true freshman season, especially if tOSU isn't guaranteed a top 3 finish. 

Ryan didn't ask me what I thought, but OSU isn't top three next season and I still believe Bouzakis wrestles.

1 hour ago, RandolphJones said:

I think its a waste to have any of these recruits wrestle their true freshman season, especially if tOSU isn't guaranteed a top 3 finish. 

Ryan gave an interview a couple of weeks ago where he basically said 133 is gonna be Bouzakis unless Mendez can get down to 133.

1 hour ago, DocBZ said:

Ryan gave an interview a couple of weeks ago where he basically said 133 is gonna be Bouzakis unless Mendez can get down to 133.

That’s correct, he’s has pretty much said Bouzakis or Mendez is gonna be the 133 option. 

6 hours ago, DocBZ said:

I don't see Mendez beating Bouzakis.  I just do not.  Not at folkstyle.

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I don't see Mendez beating Bouzakis.  I just do not.  Not at folkstyle.

I too would think Bouzakis a slight favorite. Hopefully whomever redshirts of the 2 the can focus on getting their body right for 141 the next 4 seasons thereafter. 

15 minutes ago, RandolphJones said:

I too would think Bouzakis a slight favorite. Hopefully whomever redshirts of the 2 the can focus on getting their body right for 141 the next 4 seasons thereafter. 

I thought the plan would be for Mendez to redshirt his sophomore year and then go 141 after d'emilio is gone