BAC

What's tOSU's Potential Next Year?

1 hour ago, randyfoxwell said:

I thought the plan would be for Mendez to redshirt his sophomore year and then go 141 after d'emilio is gone

That means he redshirts Sasso's senior year then right?  I bet he wants to make a push his senior season for a title.

If Mendez redshirts and is better than Dylan D after his redshirt year at 141 then he would more than likely take that spot. 

Tom Ryan will not play the waiting game with this recruiting class, especially after their redshirt year outside of Bouzakis. 

32 minutes ago, RandolphJones said:

Try to swoop Lamont from the portal and bump to 133 that way all incoming fresh can RS together?

Not sure of Lamont's size, i.e. there's no way Malik could ever go 133 with his size. 

Or just bring in Lamont for 125?

I like how Malik wrestles but he will always get thrown around by bigger guys at 125. 

40 minutes ago, RandolphJones said:

Try to swoop Lamont from the portal and bump to 133 that way all incoming fresh can RS together?

Not sure of Lamont's size, i.e. there's no way Malik could ever go 133 with his size. 

He has gone 125 - 125 - 133 - 125 - 125 so far so 133 isn't insane for him.

8 minutes ago, Riz23 said:

I like how Malik wrestles but he will always get thrown around by bigger guys at 125. 

Heinselman has also been better in duals and that is due to it being closer to weigh-ins.  Get him in a tourney where he is wrestling a guy end of day that cuts 15lbs and he is always going to get thrown around.

Edited by nhs67

1 hour ago, Riz23 said:

At first  glance it sounds like a good idea...but then you look at his results. Lamont went 2-2  and Heinselman went 1-2 at NCAA's last year. Not sure how much of an upgrade it is and you risk rocking the boat. That being said Heinselman does still have a RS year left.

Edited by DocBZ

52 minutes ago, RandolphJones said:

I would personally rather have Bouzakis or Mendez as a true frosh than Lamont (his results weren't exactly great the one year he went 133). Unless the plan is to RS both which Ryan has said is not the plan. Course that was before Lamont hit the portal so who know.

Edited by DocBZ

11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Heinselman has also been better in duals and that is due to it being closer to weigh-ins.  Get him in a tourney where he is wrestling a guy end of day that cuts 15lbs and he is always going to get thrown around.

Yet, he was able to muscle Ayala pretty good.  Granted, Ayala still needs to mature and grow into the weight, but I think Heinselman definitely settled into the weight better this past season.  He could probably still put on a little more size, but I definitely don't think he is that small for the weight anymore.  

54 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Yet, he was able to muscle Ayala pretty good.  Granted, Ayala still needs to mature and grow into the weight, but I think Heinselman definitely settled into the weight better this past season.  He could probably still put on a little more size, but I definitely don't think he is that small for the weight anymore.  

I dunno. He's been at Ohio State for 4 years now and I haven't seen an appreciable increase in his strength or size to be honest. I wouldn't say he is small for 125 but he has average strength at best, which isn't gonna cut it at NCAA's where you are facing the best in the weight class.

Ayala is the perfect example of someone he is capable of beating, a true freshman that is talented but still needs to get bigger and stronger for the college level. Patrick McKee is another guy that Heinselman has had success against who is also very talented but not consider large or strong for the weight.

On the other hand guys like Hildebrandt and Lamont dominated Heinselman because the size and strength level was too wide.

Edited by DocBZ

3 hours ago, DocBZ said:

At first  glance it sounds like a good idea...but then you look at his results. Lamont went 2-2  and Heinselman went 1-2 at NCAA's last year. Not sure how much of an upgrade it is and you risk rocking the boat. That being said Heinselman does still have a RS year left.

True but I do believe at some point in his career Lamont has been an AA, could be wrong though 

10 hours ago, MSU158 said:

I'm pretty sure Ayala was broken by the Heinselman match or maybe aggravated his labrum. I think the reports were he first hurt his labrum against McKee, wrestled against DeAugustino/Cardani/Schroeder and looked good then suddenly didn't look himself against Heinselman (all due respect to Heinselman but I think Ayala healthy was definitely better) and was out for a month then came back braced up and looked like a shell of himself. 

12 hours ago, IGotAPlan said:

I'm pretty sure Ayala was broken by the Heinselman match or maybe aggravated his labrum. I think the reports were he first hurt his labrum against McKee, wrestled against DeAugustino/Cardani/Schroeder and looked good then suddenly didn't look himself against Heinselman (all due respect to Heinselman but I think Ayala healthy was definitely better) and was out for a month then came back braced up and looked like a shell of himself. 

Having been there and rewatched it on TV, I saw no sign Ayala was wrestling hurt.

On 4/22/2022 at 9:19 AM, DocBZ said:

Riz23 has some sort of obsession with wanting tOSU to replace Heinselman.   Getting Lamont and redshirting Heinselman may not be a terrible idea though and bring him back for a 6th year when the recent recruits are in the lineup.

39 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Riz23 has some sort of obsession with wanting tOSU to replace Heinselman.   Getting Lamont and redshirting Heinselman may not be a terrible idea though and bring him back for a 6th year when the recent recruits are in the lineup.

Oh, that is a lovely idea.  Lee would be gone.  Also with Glory and Arujau firmly up at 133 then?

5 hours ago, Sstern said:

Having been there and rewatched it on TV, I saw no sign Ayala was wrestling hurt.

He was, he first had the injury in his first match out of redshirt vs McKee and it got progressively worse until he then sat out to rest it as much as possible for the end of the year and had surgery right after the season. The majority of his offense was lost without being able to use that arm. 

Edited by BLT

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

It’s not about the wanting to replace him but if you can upgrade and get Ohio State back to being top 5 consistently then why not? 

i would be saying the same thing about Hoffman had he not put it all together this year. 

Did you watch Lamont muscle Malik around the mat at nationals or did you miss that? Plus Lamont is a former AA… and Malik has never got close… 

11 hours ago, Riz23 said:

It’s not about the wanting to replace him but if you can upgrade and get Ohio State back to being top 5 consistently then why not? 

i would be saying the same thing about Hoffman had he not put it all together this year. 

Did you watch Lamont muscle Malik around the mat at nationals or did you miss that? Plus Lamont is a former AA… and Malik has never got close… 

Lamont can't weight every week.  He needs to move up.

15 hours ago, Riz23 said:

I didn’t see that match but Lamont also lost to Joey Prata twice including at NCAA’s.   Doesn’t hurt to kick the tires on Lamont especially with Heinselman having a redshirt available but he probably only gives you a couple more points.