Wrestle81

Why isn't Canada better?

They had some outstanding recruits from out of country some years ago.  Olympic Champion Daniel Igali.  He beat McIlravy in a very close match in the semis.   Mac got Bronze.  Their semi was actually the championship match because Igali blew out the guy in the final.  If you want to watch a good match,  Igali Mcllravy is a great one. 

Also a World Champion named Guivi (Gia) Sissaouri in 2001, won silver in 1995 and 1996 (Olympic Silver, Cross beat him), and Bronze in 1997 and 1998. 

They've had a few others not so good but overall, Canada is not that good in wrestling.  Now Hockey is another matter.

mspart

Most of their good wrestlers are people who came from other countries. Sissaouri is Georgian and Ignali is from Nigeria. Matt Gentry who wrestled for them in the Olympics is from Oregon and Khetag Pliev who was also an Olympian started in Russia and wrestled in the US during high school. I think one of their few homegrown guys who was any good was Chris Wilson who had some nice wins against Soviets in the late 80s/early 90s. 

20 hours ago, mspart said:

They had some outstanding recruits from out of country some years ago.  Olympic Champion Daniel Igali.  He beat McIlravy in a very close match in the semis.   Mac got Bronze.  Their semi was actually the championship match because Igali blew out the guy in the final.  If you want to watch a good match,  Igali Mcllravy is a great one. 

Also a World Champion named Guivi (Gia) Sissaouri in 2001, won silver in 1995 and 1996 (Olympic Silver, Cross beat him), and Bronze in 1997 and 1998. 

They've had a few others not so good but overall, Canada is not that good in wrestling.  Now Hockey is another matter.

mspart

that was a great match!!

and look at all the action on the edge that we dont see anymore b/c of the pushout 

I’m not sure, they do have a fairly tough Women’s team. I think that some of the reasons that we are being successful is due to our financial and organizational situation. Add in coaching, youth programs, scholastic competition, and no doubt a whole host of other things, are some of the reasons our country is producing the awesome talent that we have. Maybe Canada could take a look at how we and some other countries are doing things. 

15 hours ago, de4856 said:

I’m not sure, they do have a fairly tough Women’s team. I think that some of the reasons that we are being successful is due to our financial and organizational situation. Add in coaching, youth programs, scholastic competition, and no doubt a whole host of other things, are some of the reasons our country is producing the awesome talent that we have. Maybe Canada could take a look at how we and some other countries are doing things. 

This is interesting that Canada's men's soccer is mediocre at best while the women's team is a perennial contender for gold

Edited by Jim L

So I was also thinking about that we occasionally see some Russian wrestlers moving to other countries, and I wonder if this Russian invasion into Ukraine will cause more wrestlers to move, including Ukrainians. Although as I say that, I realize that moving to another country might be the last thing on a Ukrainian wrestler’s mind right now. But I mention all this because, we have seen other wrestlers move to Canada in the past, and will this have some sort of effect on others making the move to Canada. 

20 hours ago, Casper said:

Hard to get excited about wearing a singlet and wrestling in the ice and snow?

Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, ......

On 4/11/2022 at 1:47 PM, mspart said:

mspart

All their stud grapplers are doing judo.  They just had a girl win the Senior World Championships and take bronze at the Olympics.  She beat the previous year's world champ to make the Olympic team.  Canada's men's judo team is also really strong.

A couple Olympic cycles ago, I met a guy who was competing for the Canadian greco team. He said he basically just asked to be on the team since they didn't really have one. He had to pay for everything himself pretty much. He was training in Colorado Springs at the time.