U.S. men’s freestyle roster
57 kg: Thomas Gilman (Nittany Lion WC/Titan Mercury WC)
61 kg: Daton Fix (Cowboy RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
65 kg: Joey McKenna (Pennsylvania RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
70 kg: Zain Retherford (Nittany Lion WC/Titan Mercury WC)
74 kg: Kyle Dake (Spartan Combat WC/Titan Mercury WC)
79 kg: Jordan Burroughs (Pennsylvania RTC/Sunkist Kids)
86 kg: Zahid Valencia (Sunkist Kids)
92 kg: J’den Cox (Michigan RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
97 kg: Kyle Snyder (Nittany Lion WC/Titan Mercury WC)
125 kg: Nick Gwiazdowski (Spartan Combat WC/Titan Mercury WC)

U.S. women’s freestyle roster
50 kg: Sarah Hildebrandt (USOPTC/New York AC)
53 kg: Dom Parrish (Sunkist Kids)
55 kg: Jacarra Winchester (USOPTC/Cowboy RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
57 kg: Helen Maroulis (Sunkist Kids)
59 kg: Xochitl Mota-Pettis (USOPTC/Rise RTC)
62 kg: Kayla Miracle (Sunkist Kids)
65 kg: Forrest Molinari (Sunkist Kids)
68 kg: Alara Boyd (McKendree Bearcat WC)
72 kg: Skylar Grote (Beaver Dam RTC/New York AC)
76 kg: Dymond Guilford (USOPTC/Titan Mercury WC)

U.S. Greco-Roman roster
55 kg: Brady Koontz (Ohio RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
60 kg: Randon Miranda (Rise RTC)
63 kg: Sam Jones (New York AC)
67 kg: Hayden Tuma (Suples WC)
72 kg: Pat Smith (Minnesota Storm)
77 kg: RaVaughn Perkins (USOPTC/New York AC)
82 kg: Ben Provisor (New York AC)
87 kg: Richard Carlson (Minnesota Storm)
97 kg: G’Angelo Hancock (USOPTC/Sunkist Kids)
130 kg: Tanner Farmer (New York AC)

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2022/April/11/Pan-Am-roster-announcement

No David Taylor and Yianni. Anyone know why?

Also, any ideas how 70kg was decided?

Yianni probably wanted some time off between NCAAs and the senior circuit. McKenna is next on the ladder based on 2021 WTT results.

70kg also likely went based on the domestic ladder. Green retired and Deakin probably also opted out, Zain finished 3rd at WTT so he's next on the ladder.

Taylor might be banged up and he's 31, but unlike his Best Rival he is not getting younger so nothing wrong with skipping a needless tourney to avoid a pointless injury. I believe the weight is already qualified based on Taylor's silver at '21 Worlds. Nickal is retired and Zahid is #3 on the ladder after the beating he put on PED3 at olympic team trials.

9 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Taylor might be banged up and he's 31, but unlike his Best Rival he is not getting younger so nothing wrong with skipping a needless tourney to avoid a pointless injury. I believe the weight is already qualified based on Taylor's silver at '21 Worlds. Nickal is retired and Zahid is #3 on the ladder after the beating he put on PED3 at olympic team trials.

So this means Zahid is sticking with Team USA and not going to follow his brother to Team Mexico?

Looks crazy tough to me. Any chance of a US sweep? Who does Cuba have that could be favored? Any other country besides Cuba have a wrestler that can beat a US first teamer?

18 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Looks crazy tough to me. Any chance of a US sweep? Who does Cuba have that could be favored? Any other country besides Cuba have a wrestler that can beat a US first teamer?

Decent chance (of a sweep) 
57kg, 65kg, and 86kg would be Cuba's best chances. 
But...  it'd be hard to say they are "Favored" at any weight. 
Valdes-Tobier (normally) would be their best chance but we can't un-see what we saw at the Olympics lol 

7 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Decent chance (of a sweep) 
57kg, 65kg, and 86kg would be Cuba's best chances. 
But...  it'd be hard to say they are "Favored" at any weight. 
Valdes-Tobier (normally) would be their best chance but we can't un-see what we saw at the Olympics lol 

I think Gilman has passed Ortega.  

You don't think Valdes-Tobier can beat McKenna?

65, 70, and 125 are our weakest links.

I think Gilman has passed Ortega.  
You don't think Valdes-Tobier can beat McKenna?
65, 70, and 125 are our weakest links.
I do agree Gilman wins that match 80% of the time .

And McKenna is underrated but Tobier just looked so bad last time out .
He's their best hope of beating us .

I think we are better than Torreblanca here 80% of the time as well.

Gwiz should be fine as should Zain.

I assumed Tobier would go 70kg if he shows up for this. He looked abysmal in Tokyo a few hours off the scale. 
Has he done 70kg much ?
Off the top of my head I can't remember.
I agree though, he's plenty talented to thrive at 70kg instead of battling it out against the savages (worldwide) at 65kg. (And the scale)

4 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Worth noting that while Cuba hasn’t been competing much since Covid, they probably have a few young guys who are ready. They tend to have a random guy or two show up out of nowhere

Lol and the explosive dominance they always show is like..... Where the F*ck did this guy come from?????
0 previous results... scores 10+ in every match.
#Cuba

On 4/12/2022 at 10:34 AM, bnwtwg said:

Taylor might be banged up and he's 31, but unlike his Best Rival he is not getting younger so nothing wrong with skipping a needless tourney to avoid a pointless injury. I believe the weight is already qualified based on Taylor's silver at '21 Worlds. 

Unless something is changed there is no qualifying of weights for World Championships.  A country can send a full roster or a partial one as they see fit.  The Olympics are where  you need to qualify weights.

21 hours ago, spladle08 said:

I do agree Gilman wins that match 80% of the time .

And McKenna is underrated but Tobier just looked so bad last time out .
He's their best hope of beating us .

I think we are better than Torreblanca here 80% of the time as well.

Gwiz should be fine as should Zain.

You're right.  We'll be okay with those guys for Pans.  Worlds is another matter.

18 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Unless something is changed there is no qualifying of weights for World Championships.  A country can send a full roster or a partial one as they see fit.  The Olympics are where  you need to qualify weights.

Not entirely correct. You don't qualify for Worlds based on placement, but your country qualifies for Worlds by participating in the continental championships. This is why Kyle Ruschell got pulled out of retirement to wrestle at 74kg one year. The U.S. needed someone to compete or else Burroughs (or whoever the U.S. World Team rep) wouldn't have been able to wrestle at Worlds. 

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

Not entirely correct. You don't qualify for Worlds based on placement, but your country qualifies for Worlds by participating in the continental championships. This is why Kyle Ruschell got pulled out of retirement to wrestle at 74kg one year. The U.S. needed someone to compete or else Burroughs (or whoever the U.S. World Team rep) wouldn't have been able to wrestle at Worlds. 

Thanks for the clarification - so as long as anyone shows up for the continental championships then that team can send a competitor to the World Championships.  What would happen if the person a country intended to compete could not due to missing weight, a skin disease or some last minute injury?  Would the country not be able to go to the WC at that weight then?

2 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Ah that's right. For some reason I thought the world medal bypassed the participation requirement. thanks for the correction.

21 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Will Cuba show up for non-Olympic weights?

IIRC, at the end of the most recent cycle, they stopped sending non-Olympic weights to continentals. I could be mistaken, but one of the recent Pan Am events they didn't even send a full roster of Olympic weights, presumably because the costs were so high relative to their roster strength. 

Again, could be wrong. I'm getting older and it's getting harder and harder to keep track of Pan-Am Games vs Championship vs OG Qualifier. Especially with the 2020 cycle getting so mixed up. 5 minutes of googling didn't ameliorate my confusion. 

22 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Has he done 70kg much ?
Off the top of my head I can't remember.
I agree though, he's plenty talented to thrive at 70kg instead of battling it out against the savages (worldwide) at 65kg. (And the scale)

100% speculation on my part.

I don't remember seeing him anywhere after Tokyo. My perception was that the weight became more of an issue for him as the years went on. He won his 2nd Bronze in 2018 (first year of morning in weigh ins) only losing to Bajrang 3-4 (not indicative of gassing). 2019 he won an infamous first round match against Zain 10-9 and completely fell apart at the end. Zain Metcalf'd him and Tobier  lost later that day 6-11. 

THEN, first match in 2021 Toyko he fell off a cliff vs Niyazbekov (KAZ) and lost 11-21. He was up like 8 at the break and practically died out on the mat. 

100% speculation on my part.

I don't remember seeing him anywhere after Tokyo. My perception was that the weight became more of an issue for him as the years went on. He won his 2nd Bronze in 2018 (first year of morning in weigh ins) only losing to Bajrang 3-4 (not indicative of gassing). 2019 he won an infamous first round match against Zain 10-9 and completely fell apart at the end. Zain Metcalf'd him and Tobier  lost later that day 6-11. 

THEN, first match in 2021 Toyko he fell off a cliff vs Niyazbekov (KAZ) and lost 11-21. He was up like 8 at the break and practically died out on the mat. 

The Olympics match.

Man...... Incredible

6 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

I'm assuming that this was quite a few years back.  Dake or DT weren't available to step in for JB?  Wasn't Kyle a 65kg guy (not 74kg)?

31 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

I'm assuming that this was quite a few years back.  Dake or DT weren't available to step in for JB?  Wasn't Kyle a 65kg guy (not 74kg)?

2017. Yes, he was not a 74, but he was the only one able to go on short notice with a passport.