Stl

NCAA Champs at WTT

Does anyone know which NCAA champs from this year will be competing at the WTT?

Yianni and Nick Lee will, I'm assuming. I would be really interested to see some of the other Penn State guys (RBY and Starocci) as well. Keegan O'Toole would be interesting at 70kg with James Green gone now.

The top 3 from NCAA's quality for FS and top 5 from Div I and top 3 from the other college divisions qualify for Greco. Could be an exciting field if a lot of college wrestlers take advantage of this new rule.

https://usaw-public.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/forms/2022_MFS_World_Team_Trials.pdf

https://usaw-public.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/forms/2022_GR_World_Team_Trials.pdf

Does anyone know which NCAA champs from this year will be competing at the WTT?
Yianni and Nick Lee will, I'm assuming. I would be really interested to see some of the other Penn State guys (RBY and Starocci) as well. Keegan O'Toole would be interesting at 70kg with James Green gone now.

Starocci won’t be there. He broke his hand at the Iowa dual. Either having or just had surgery on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Starocci won’t be there. He broke his hand at the Iowa dual. Either having or just had surgery on it.

What a bummer. Hopefully he heals up quick, would've been great to see how he stacks up against the 79kg guys. That weight is deep.

What a bummer. Hopefully he heals up quick, would've been great to see how he stacks up against the 79kg guys. That weight is deep.

Well, he did beat Nolf, Marstellar and Wick at WTTs last year.

3 hours ago, Le duke said:

Well, he did beat Nolf, Marstellar and Wick at WTTs last year.

Good wins, but not the top contenders at the weight. I’m much more interested in matchups with Dieringer, Imar, Burroughs, and potentially Zahid (is he gonna go down for WTT?). Starocci is so good, I really feel like he has a decent chance at beating any of these guys in a match. Not saying I predict it for all of them (especially against Burroughs, who he’d have to beat twice), but it wouldn’t shock me.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Perry said last year that the reason he didn't cut to 79kg for WTT is that he is fully invested to becoming a true 86kg

I'm a big Zahid guy, huge believer in his talent, ignoring some results ( @nhs67 is always sure to let me know I'm delusional). 
I never give the guy enough credit for really setting his sights on the Olympics and taking the harder path. Committed to 86kg and apparently set on going through DT to get there. 
Could've pulled an Amine and snagged an Olympic Medal, still maybe will (Mexico) but for now looks like USA 

15 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I'm a big Zahid guy, huge believer in his talent, ignoring some results ( @nhs67 is always sure to let me know I'm delusional). 
I never give the guy enough credit for really setting his sights on the Olympics and taking the harder path. Committed to 86kg and apparently set on going through DT to get there. 
Could've pulled an Amine and snagged an Olympic Medal, still maybe will (Mexico) but for now looks like USA 

I fully believe he is in that fourth tier on the world level.

Tier 1 - Yazadni, DT

Tier 2 - EMPTY

Tier 3 - Naifonov, Kurugliev, 3 or 4 other Russians

Tier 4 - Valencia, Amine, 3 or 4 other Russians, Punia, Couple of Turks, Kazahk and Uzbek gent, Chinese guy?

Tier 5 - A slew of US guys here.  Brooks, Hidlay, Hall, Martin.  Could be argued to move a few up to Tier 4.

The thing with Valencia is if he is just a small amount better than you on that day, he is going to look leaps and bounds better. 

Styles make matchups, though, and I think Amine's grinder style lends him to be able to beat a Ramazonov or a Rasulov where Valencia is going to struggle to open them up.

Edited by nhs67

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Tier 1 - Yazadni, DT

Tier 2 - EMPTY

Tier 4 - Valencia, Amine, 3 or 4 other Russians, Punia, Couple of Turks, Kazahk and Uzbek gent, Chinese guy?

Tier 5 - A slew of US guys here.  Brooks, Hidlay, Hall, Martin.  Could be argued to move a few up to Tier 4.

The thing with Valencia is if he is just a small amount better than you on that day, he is going to look leaps and bounds better. 

Styles make matchups, though, and I think Amine's grinder style lends him to be able to beat a Ramazonov or a Rasulov where Valencia is going to struggle to open them up.

I was like 4th tier? NO WAY, until I see #2 is empty :) 
I do love Amine's style for international.
And I do agree more often than not Zahid is behind Tier 1 and Tier 3 (in your example)
But Yaz, DT, Russia are almost always going to be  Gold, Silver, Bronze. 

My head says "He's never our rep at 86kg".
It also says, "he should go to Mexico and either fight for the remaining Bronze at 86kg or drop down to 79kg and fight for as much as SIlver"

My "Message Board Warrior Pride" however says, "He beats DT, proves my years of bad-takes on the matchup right and I forever get to reference that I had it right from the start" 

*He probably doesn't make the team by 2024 and I'd guess, goes to MMA (Based on nothing I just assume all those Cali guys ultimately want to fight, fame, money, etc.) 
But tip of the cap to him for wanting to stick it out with USA even if it ultimately hinders his journey. 

25 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I was like 4th tier? NO WAY, until I see #2 is empty :) 
I do love Amine's style for international.
And I do agree more often than not Zahid is behind Tier 1 and Tier 3 (in your example)
But Yaz, DT, Russia are almost always going to be  Gold, Silver, Bronze. 

My head says "He's never our rep at 86kg".
It also says, "he should go to Mexico and either fight for the remaining Bronze at 86kg or drop down to 79kg and fight for as much as SIlver"

My "Message Board Warrior Pride" however says, "He beats DT, proves my years of bad-takes on the matchup right and I forever get to reference that I had it right from the start" 

*He probably doesn't make the team by 2024 and I'd guess, goes to MMA (Based on nothing I just assume all those Cali guys ultimately want to fight, fame, money, etc.) 
But tip of the cap to him for wanting to stick it out with USA even if it ultimately hinders his journey. 

I want him to go to Mexico.  I am all for that noise.  He does that and hits the ranking series events proper, and he is seeded every year.  He will be opposite at least one of DT, Yazdani, and Russia - possibly two.  That means he wrestles for a medal most years until he is done.

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I want him to go to Mexico.  I am all for that noise.  He does that and hits the ranking series events proper, and he is seeded every year.  He will be opposite at least one of DT, Yazdani, and Russia - possibly two.  That means he wrestles for a medal most years until he is done.

Agree! 

11 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Agree! 

Where would this hypothetical leave Cael?  Does Mexico do non-Oly weights.  Can he add enough effective muscle to challenge whoever Mexico tries to send out at 97 for the spot?

35 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Where would this hypothetical leave Cael?  Does Mexico do non-Oly weights.  Can he add enough effective muscle to challenge whoever Mexico tries to send out at 97 for the spot?

Oh was he planning on doing the Mexico thing as well? 
I don't know if they only do the Olympic weights or not I think they've sent Non-Olympic weights to Pan Ams.... but Im not sure that means anything.

Clearly he is nowhere near talented enough to challenge for a medal (Not implying Anthony is) but could conceivably make the team to have 3 brothers at the World tournament which would be pretty cool.
As far as the Olympics go in the future (If Zahid went 86kg for them), forget 97kg, he couldn't qualify the weight, just focus on getting better for ASU and then go into MMA or coaching. 

*But along the lines of the original question...
I really wish we had some up and comers we were excited about for this years WTT, but doesn't feel like we have any "New Blood" with an outside shot. 
Nick Lee may really have a chance but we all know that. 

I had such hope for Kharchla but much less. 
Brooks is good but we are just deep there.
125/133/141 we've basically seen all the guys, RBY wrestles the edge too much for freestyle (could adapt)
I think (See Gregor Gillespie's reason for quitting Freestyle) We have such talent at a few weights, it will discourage several guys from even attempting to 100% pursue an international career.
We have some developing guys and high school kids that I could definitely see earning medals in the future. 
but
57kg feels like ~4 guys will be battling it out for awhile
61kg Fix or one of those other 57kg guys will have it for awhile more
65kg  we have several tough guys who will be tough for years to come, can't see "better" talent coming up to challenge them for 4+years
70kg melting pot of 65/74 short-comers who are still phenomenally talented, maybe Carr or somebody could emerge but feels like years out
74kg Dake is only around 19years old, and the talent right behind him is substantial compared to the current college talents. maybe 2028?
79kg Once JB Leaves, Maybe Brooks/Carter emerge? But RInger and company could be significant hurdles for awhile
86kg Once DT Leave, Maybe Brooks/Carter emerge? Same,  Zahid and company could be too much...
92kg We aren't deep, but I don't like what college has to offer either, some older guy will hold this if the Matrix leaves after 24. 
97kg Kyle is apparently wrestling until he dies :) but same as before we have guys like Moore, who I don't think will struggle with current college guys. 
125kg Gwiz seems on his last leg, and Gable is gone, Maybe Parris or Cass will take over? 

Edited by spladle08

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

Oh was he planning on doing the Mexico thing as well? 
I don't know if they only do the Olympic weights or not I think they've sent Non-Olympic weights to Pan Ams.... but Im not sure that means anything.

Clearly he is nowhere near talented enough to challenge for a medal (Not implying Anthony is) but could conceivably make the team to have 3 brothers at the World tournament which would be pretty cool.
As far as the Olympics go in the future (If Zahid went 86kg for them), forget 97kg, he couldn't qualify the weight, just focus on getting better for ASU and then go into MMA or coaching. 

*But along the lines of the original question...
I really wish we had some up and comers we were excited about for this years WTT, but doesn't feel like we have any "New Blood" with an outside shot. 
Nick Lee may really have a chance but we all know that. 

I had such hope for Kharchla but much less. 
Brooks is good but we are just deep there.
125/133/141 we've basically seen all the guys, RBY wrestles the edge too much for freestyle (could adapt)
I think (See Gregor Gillespie's reason for quitting Freestyle) We have such talent at a few weights, it will discourage several guys from even attempting to 100% pursue an international career.
We have some developing guys and high school kids that I could definitely see earning medals in the future. 
but
57kg feels like ~4 guys will be battling it out for awhile
61kg Fix or one of those other 57kg guys will have it for awhile more
65kg  we have several tough guys who will be tough for years to come, can't see "better" talent coming up to challenge them for 4+years
70kg melting pot of 65/74 short-comers who are still phenomenally talented, maybe Carr or somebody could emerge but feels like years out
74kg Dake is only around 19years old, and the talent right behind him is substantial compared to the current college talents. maybe 2028?
79kg Once JB Leaves, Maybe Brooks/Carter emerge? But RInger and company could be significant hurdles for awhile
86kg Once DT Leave, Maybe Brooks/Carter emerge? Same,  Zahid and company could be too much...
92kg We aren't deep, but I don't like what college has to offer either, some older guy will hold this if the Matrix leaves after 24. 
97kg Kyle is apparently wrestling until he dies :) but same as before we have guys like Moore, who I don't think will struggle with current college guys. 
125kg Gwiz seems on his last leg, and Gable is gone, Maybe Parris or Cass will take over? 

57 - IF Lee competes, I do not think anybody is close to him.  I just don't.  I think Arujau after Lee, if he doesn't stick around through 2028.

61 - Fix and a few of the 57 guys, as you said.  I don't see who else through 2028 will challenge Fix.  It is probably his until he decides otherwise, much like Dake/JB at 79.

65 - I am still hoping Fix goes up here for 2024.  He will be a factor, if so.  That said, I have to go with Lee, Johnny D, and Oliver in 2024.  I also hope Oliver doesn't try to cut and tries 74kg.  That is me, though.  As far as up and comers?  Bartlett and Henson for guys coming up?

70 - Bunch of Tweeners, however I think we see many of the 70 guys head to 74 for 2024.  After that, we still have a lot of youth here.  Pantaleo could take it and run with it for a few years, but there is a LOT of talent in this range.  In the same room as him we have Lewan and Lamer already.

74 - Ultra talented guys around 20 years old from 70 and 74 will flock here for 2024 OTT (or try to).  We have a lot of experience here, too, even after Dake/JB.  The one I don't know about is Sasso.  Him and Lee have had epic battles at 70.  Lee went up to 157 with the purpose to go 74 come trials.  Sasso is far too large for 65.  Teemer.  Carr.  O'Toole.  Griffith.  That is the youth.  Don't forget that Nolf isn't old, either.  He could be around for 2028, still.

79 - Same thing.  Dake/JB until they die.  Ringer is there, but I don't see him or IMar outlasting Dake/JB at this point.  That said, Star is there.  I believe Hidlay intends to stay at 79, rather than drop to 74.  He could be a player and Marstellar looks excellent as well.  Starocci will beat both of them, though, when the time comes.

86 - I think the guy is going to be Brooks very soon.  DT will be done after 2024.  That said, I still want Zahid to head to Mehico.  Brooks will hold the spot for awhile.

92 - You need to rewatch Moore-Hidlay.  Hidlay is right there and, iirc is undefeated against Jackson.  If Hidlay chooses to stay at 92, it will be him I think.  That is IF J'den hangs it up after 2024.

97 - I don't see anyone through our college or down to HS ranks that is taking it from Cap'n.  Cox included.

125 - I think Parris ends up being the man here.  Kerk is a nightmare matchup for him, but tends to drop matches to other people.  After 2024 we come into a realm where we should still be very good internationally.  No Gable?  No problem.  Zare will be a problem, but we will still have medal threats for the foreseeable future.  I am still in the camp that I hope Feldman goes 97kg to take over after Snyder hangs them up.  He has too small a frame for 125 internationally (I will believe this until proven wrong).

.  I am still in the camp that I hope Feldman goes 97kg to take over after Snyder hangs them up.  He has too small a frame for 125 internationally (I will believe this until proven wrong).

Has he wrestled any Cadet/Junior level world events? He looks the part, but Amos did for a bit . I'm just not sure.

11 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

@nhs67 just watched him  and agreed, he could really be something at 97kg.
How big is he currently? Can't be over 220 right?

He would need to lean out a bit, but I bet he is 240, at least.  He is short, but very thiccc.

Just now, nhs67 said:

He would need to lean out a bit, but I bet he is 240, at least.  He is short, but very thiccc.

Oh dang, Carroll looked considerably bigger, like he has no option but Heavy come college, but Feldman, looked less thick and more agile. 
I gotta see these kids in person. 
Can't wait. Tons of current HS kids really "Have it" I'm excited for the 2032 Olympics ;) 
I'm skeptical of our 2028 team though

9 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Tier 1 - Yazadni, DT

Tier 2 - EMPTY

I thinking I've debated with you about this before.  Tier 2 should not be empty.  I would put the two Russians (Naifonov and Kurugliev), Nickal, Valencia, and Amine in Tier 2.  I would put guys like Abakarov, Friev, Makojev, Punia, and Ringer in Tier 3.

2 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

I thinking I've debated with you about this before.  Tier 2 should not be empty.  I would put the two Russians (Naifonov and Kurugliev), Nickal, Valencia, and Amine in Tier 2.  I would put guys like Abakarov, Friev, Makojev, Punia, and Ringer in Tier 3.

My tiers are designed so as that a grappler can sensibly be in a match and defeat or lose to someone on any typical given day.

Nobody is touching DT or Yazdani.  Ergo nobody is Tier 2.