Sign in to follow this  
Mphillips

Undefeated NCAA Champ Tournament 2000-2022

1 minute ago, IronChef said:

Lee with two torn ACLs over Abas is a bold pick.

Was I only supposed to use the version after the finals?  I was using the best version of that wrestler.  If we were going with version after the finals, I would switch to Abas over Travis Lee or Robles (I'm deciding in my head still).

Just now, VakAttack said:

Was I only supposed to use the version after the finals?  I was using the best version of that wrestler.  If we were going with version after the finals, I would switch to Abas over Travis Lee or Robles (I'm deciding in my head still).

You have to use the undefeated National champion. C'mon Vak...

On 4/13/2022 at 3:13 PM, randyfoxwell said:

I'm surprised at the people picking Nick Lee over Steiber and Yianni

Lee beat an older version of Johnny D.  I am not surprised at all.

The Steiber one... that one is a toughy.  I think Steiber gets a lot of hate from the JO fanboys.  I think he was in the same boat McKenna is, though.  I don't think he was ever that big at 141, let alone 65kg (143.3).  That is the reason I would take Lee, as well.

48 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

The Steiber one... that one is a toughy.  I think Steiber gets a lot of hate from the JO fanboys.  I think he was in the same boat McKenna is, though.  I don't think he was ever that big at 141, let alone 65kg (143.3).  That is the reason I would take Lee, as well.

Agree with your point about Lee v. Steiber.  Logan was a 61kg guy (134.5) after college.  Nick would bully him all over the mat.

125 - Robles over Lee

133 - JO over RBY

141 - stieber over nick Lee

149 - yianni over Zain

157 - Burroughs over dake

165 - Burroughs over dake

174 - askren over Ruth

184 - cael over nickel

197 - cael over cox

285 - Stevenson over Snyder 

2 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Agree with your point about Lee v. Steiber.  Logan was a 61kg guy (134.5) after college.  Nick would bully him all over the mat.

So would that ring true for the others that went down in weight for international competition as well? Or just Steiber? 

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

So would that ring true for the others that went down in weight for international competition as well? Or just Steiber? 

The hypothetical match being discussed was L. Steiber (senior year) vs. N. Lee (senior year) in the context of an Undefeated NCAA Champ Tournament.

What other NCAA champs that went down a weight for international competition are you referring to?

9 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

The hypothetical match being discussed was L. Steiber (senior year) vs. N. Lee (senior year) in the context of an Undefeated NCAA Champ Tournament.

What other NCAA champs that went down a weight for international competition are you referring to?

Yep I get it - the part I highlighted was Steiber being bullied all over the mat because he had wrestled a lower weight internationally.  Two examples off the top of my head - Kyle Dake - down from 165-163 (then up again) - Cox down to 86 kg from 197 after being undersized at 214. . 

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Yep I get it - the part I highlighted was Steiber being bullied all over the mat because he had wrestled a lower weight internationally.  Two examples off the top of my head - Kyle Dake - down from 165-163 (then up again) - Cox down to 86 kg from 197 after being undersized at 214. . 

I thought Steiber was small for 141, as it were.  The fact he dropped later does help support this.

Him being bullied and pushed all over the mat would not happen if they wrestled first.  If they had to wrestle 2 or 3 or 4 other matches before?  Maybe.

It would all depend on the type of tournament. , how many days and weigh-ins, etc.

I nominate the old freestyle type charts.  Randomly insert them then do double elimination until there are four wrestlers left.  Them round robin (allowing previous results to stand pat and not be wrestled again).

These are my either/or picks and if you choose anything else then you are clinically insane. 184, 197, HWT there is no discussion needed. You are a troll if you dont pick Cael and Gable. Every other weight class comes down to 2 people. You can discuss JB vs Dake all day but Dake took 8 years to figure out how to beat Burroughs

125 - Lee or Robles. Not sure Lee could turn Robles. Robles could turn Lee. Still a tough call

133 - Steiber and Oliver both sophomore 

141 - Logan Steiber, end of story. Sophomore Yianni cannot beat Logan his senior year

149 - Zain or Yianni. Both World team members at this point

157 - JB or Dake

165 - JB or Dake. Dake didn't figure out how to win for years. Freestyle or Folkstyle, I do not care

174 - Askren or Zahid. Zahid might have the athletic ability to shut down Askren's scrambles. Sophomore Ruth is not beating either of them

184 - Cael, end of story

197 - Cael, end of story

HWT - Gable, end of story

Edited by juniorvarsity
forgot to bolden 149

Shocked that I am the only one to go with Garrett at 133.  Go back and look at what he did that season.  37-0 He flat out wrecked EVERYONE.  Which included the defending champ Brewer, who wrecked everyone the year before.  Remember, both those brackets included Cory Clark.  His one close score was 7-6 against Clark in the Finals and that was VERY misleading.  It was 3 takedowns to 1 late one and 4 escapes.  Mind you, I am supposed to be a big Iowa slappy, so if I am saying a score is misleading and going against an Iowa wrestler, that is saying something.  It was one of the most dominant seasons I can remember for having a damn strong weight class to contend with.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/12070/garrett-nahshon/profile