Gregor Gillespie FloFilm: Fight of Your Life

It just goes to show fans how many variables there are that could help or hinder a DI wrestler's success.  You see someone win one and then come up with a laundry list of reasons why they don't win again.  How many on here had even the slightest clue this was going on?  How many close to the program knew?  Hell, how many inside the program knew?

The other thing that is awesome is how the addictive personality nearly wrecked him, but that same personality is what saved him.  Focus, in the right direction. is an amazing tool!

9 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I enjoyed it. Gillespie came across as a very likeable guy. But...how the heck did he make weight week after week if he was drinking that many beers every night?

Working out multiple times a day, and being strung out on huge amounts of amphetamines.

22 hours ago, Konquest said:

Working out multiple times a day, and being strung out on huge amounts of amphetamines.

All college wrestlers work out multiple times per day but still struggle with making weight. You might be on to something with the amphetamines though - probably jacks up your metabolism and suppresses appetite too. Scary that it started with a legal script for ADD medication.

I really liked they mentioned how a ton of programs stopped recruiting him because there were rumors that despite his talent and accomplishments he may not be living his life the way he needed to succeed long term.  

Helps show kids how important it is if you want programs to be interested in you.  

Also great to remind people how many talented athletes don’t reach their potential due to decisions they make.  A lot of athletes—like him—are successful in spite of the decisions they made.  It doesn’t mean it didn’t negatively impact their performance. 

I thought it was well done as well.

I think Flynn comes off pretty well and clearly cared about Gillespie, but it did make me wonder how much Flynn knew about his issues and if he could have done anything differently. I guess he kinda alluded to the fact that wrestling gave him a purpose and he got worse when his college career was over, so maybe suspending him or something might’ve made it worse?