ShakaAloha

Most Accomplished Forum Posters

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I don't remember any of these guys being disrespected.  Maybe Mark Schultz, but different kettle of fish.

People were very rude to Brinzer and he stopped posting. McGinnis went so far as to note that anonymity is what made this board such a cesspool. The responses to Schultz reflected genuine concern for his mental health - I hope he's doing well, because he's one of my favorite wrestlers.

I think @olddirty is a college coach and he still posts here, which is something we all should appreciate. I recall when he was a college kid one of our posters (Backpoints) called his coach on the phone to complain about something he said here. Thankfully that experience did not scare him off, because he's one of the few "insiders" we have left.

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

People were very rude to Brinzer and he stopped posting. McGinnis went so far as to note that anonymity is what made this board such a cesspool. The responses to Schultz reflected genuine concern for his mental health - I hope he's doing well, because he's one of my favorite wrestlers.

I think @olddirty is a college coach and he still posts here, which is something we all should appreciate. I recall when he was a college kid one of our posters (Backpoints) called his coach on the phone to complain about something he said here. Thankfully that experience did not scare him off, because he's one of the few "insiders" we have left.

I used to post in an MMA forum and pro fighters had different colored screenames for when they posted.  Fellow posters respected the pros for the most part but there were always a couple of clowns that didn't.  Mods usually stepped in an banned those that flamed on a pro fighter.  Sad that the same can be said for this forum.  

14 hours ago, Fletcher said:

It's been years - I honestly don't remember. I just remember how cool it was to get an insider's perspective on college wrestling, just for one brief moment.

People may not have gone after Tirapelle as much. But I remember some inappropriate stuff at Brinzer (who was an absolute goldmine of wrestling info.) - I think McGinnis' dad used to post too, as Old Salt.

Tirapelle posted a great summary/commentary of NCAAs after Askren's senior year.  It was hilarious... best post of the year.  He's a sharp guy, too, with some well-placed commentary.  He also posted after his brother (Troy?) got mandhandled at Beast of the East by the younger Schlatter, and he basically said Schlatter was probably the best high schooler he'd ever seen.  Prescient, as Schlatter then won NCAAs as a freshman.  I seem to recall he stepped back when there were some Clovis-related issues dominating the news.  Our loss.

McGinniss didn't post often but when he did, it was measured and understated, despite being a Hawk fan -- and notoriously short on praise of even the most accomplished Iowa wrestlers.  I recall him posting during Mocco's true freshman year before the season competition started, when Mocco speculation was rampant, coyly saying he'd been watching him in the room and while he didn't want to say too much, "He's good; really good."  Everyone knew that getting a "really" from McGinniss meant the hype was real. 

Edited by BAC

4 hours ago, BAC said:

Tirapelle posted a great summary/commentary of NCAAs after Askren's senior year.  It was hilarious... best post of the year.  He's a sharp guy, too, with some well-placed commentary.  He also posted after his brother (Troy?) got mandhandled at Beast of the East by the younger Schlatter, and he basically said Schlatter was probably the best high schooler he'd ever seen.  Prescient, as Schlatter then won NCAAs as a freshman.  I seem to recall he stepped back when there were some Clovis-related issues dominating the news.  Our loss.

McGinniss didn't post often but when he did, it was measured and understated, despite being a Hawk fan -- and notoriously short on praise of even the most accomplished Iowa wrestlers.  I recall him posting during Mocco's true freshman year before the season competition started, when Mocco speculation was rampant, coyly saying he'd been watching him in the room and while he didn't want to say too much, "He's good; really good."  Everyone knew that getting a "really" from McGinniss meant the hype was real. 

Great stories.  I wish there was a way to get them back posting on this board.

This forum has been around for almost 20 years, so naturally the timelines of what went on will likely get blurred. Hell, people STILL think I work at USA Wrestling and I left almost 10 years ago and only worked full-time with the organization from December of 2009 to October of 2012 - YET - people still think I run things here (despite my signature that for a while clearly said otherwise). 

With that being said, prior to January of 2010, when this software was implemented, there was not much in the way of moderation consistently. There were some real turds who would rather start threads on the NWT Board (which we got rid of on my watch at the advise of USAW's legal counsel) to get a rise out of people rather than have some actual wrestling discussion.

Even before I worked in COS and when I worked at the NWCA, generally good topics, such as a move to the weight certification/OPC protocol would get zero traction but threads like "Mocco looks like a gorilla" (one my former coworker likes to use as an example) would get 40 pages. 

Prior to my arrival, there were two staffers in comms and one in IT. I was hired in IT, part of that job was handling the board, which became the absolute WORST part of the job. Again, rather than people have cordial, adult conversations here, which before Twitter WAS the meeting place for fans, people would spam the report system at all hours of the night and willingly posting things that were no longer allowed - since we finally implemented a full set of rules - which I crafted and are still on the site here but few actually read. 

There wasn't a way of easily issuing warnings prior to this software (which as I recall, has a pretty good way of tracking IP addresses and problem posters). Since 2010, it's gotten better, but the people who ran off the notable posters are really to blame. This forum would die a painful death if every post had to be approved before posting. No one has time for that - and I know USAW tried volunteer mods over the years - to little or no success. Ultimately, whoever was #3 in communications (Me, Richard Immel, Taylor Miller-Gregorio, Mike Willis) all had the responsibility of managing it. 

Back in the mid-00s, we had TheMat.com poster parties at the NCAAs and some of us are still longtime friends. I've been posting here since the forum was implemented - and had to manage my own forum in Virginia for almost a decade - before the advent of decent board software. It's not fun. It would be less of a hassle if some people in our community weren't such donks. 

4 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

This forum has been around for almost 20 years, so naturally the timelines of what went on will likely get blurred. Hell, people STILL think I work at USA Wrestling and I left almost 10 years ago and only worked full-time with the organization from December of 2009 to October of 2012 - YET - people still think I run things here (despite my signature that for a while clearly said otherwise). 

With that being said, prior to January of 2010, when this software was implemented, there was not much in the way of moderation consistently. There were some real turds who would rather start threads on the NWT Board (which we got rid of on my watch at the advise of USAW's legal counsel) to get a rise out of people rather than have some actual wrestling discussion.

Even before I worked in COS and when I worked at the NWCA, generally good topics, such as a move to the weight certification/OPC protocol would get zero traction but threads like "Mocco looks like a gorilla" (one my former coworker likes to use as an example) would get 40 pages. 

Prior to my arrival, there were two staffers in comms and one in IT. I was hired in IT, part of that job was handling the board, which became the absolute WORST part of the job. Again, rather than people have cordial, adult conversations here, which before Twitter WAS the meeting place for fans, people would spam the report system at all hours of the night and willingly posting things that were no longer allowed - since we finally implemented a full set of rules - which I crafted and are still on the site here but few actually read. 

There wasn't a way of easily issuing warnings prior to this software (which as I recall, has a pretty good way of tracking IP addresses and problem posters). Since 2010, it's gotten better, but the people who ran off the notable posters are really to blame. This forum would die a painful death if every post had to be approved before posting. No one has time for that - and I know USAW tried volunteer mods over the years - to little or no success. Ultimately, whoever was #3 in communications (Me, Richard Immel, Taylor Miller-Gregorio, Mike Willis) all had the responsibility of managing it. 

Back in the mid-00s, we had TheMat.com poster parties at the NCAAs and some of us are still longtime friends. I've been posting here since the forum was implemented - and had to manage my own forum in Virginia for almost a decade - before the advent of decent board software. It's not fun. It would be less of a hassle if some people in our community weren't such donks. 

Thanks Jason!  I appreciate everything you did/do for this community!