CoachWrestling

Antonio McKee defeated John Smith in his prime in 1989

Doesn't seem like anyone is jumping in to verify.

My question is: If McKee was good enough to beat Smith even in a casual, above-weight match, why didn't he compete internationally or at US Opens (assuming he did not)?

The other odd thing about Chael's story is that he does not quote McKee or Smith. They would know.

Also, maybe there'd be no video, but there were cameras in 1989; they were not rare. There were also newspapers, more than there are now. Wouldn't some local paper have covered the event?

I heard of this a long time ago. Basically it wasn't an official match. John Smith was at a community college doing a camp or clinic or something. And McKee had wrestled at that college or still was wrestling there and for whatever reason they had an impromptu challenge which McKee won. I don't know the specifics on the score or how many takedowns there were or by who, but that is the story I remembered being told 20 something years ago. 

9 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I heard of this a long time ago. Basically it wasn't an official match. John Smith was at a community college doing a camp or clinic or something. And McKee had wrestled at that college or still was wrestling there and for whatever reason they had an impromptu challenge which McKee won. I don't know the specifics on the score or how many takedowns there were or by who, but that is the story I remembered being told 20 something years ago. 

I believe it was at Cal State Fullerton where this allegedly happened. I wasn’t there but I’ve heard the story from a few. Sonnen isn’t making it up himself. It’s a sourced  story. John McCarthy of ufc fame was there. So was the late JD Hawkins  and I believe Steve Glassey as well. What actually happened I don’t know, but I’ve heard of this.

13 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

I believe it was at Cal State Fullerton where this allegedly happened. I wasn’t there but I’ve heard the story from a few. Sonnen isn’t making it up himself. It’s a sourced  story. John McCarthy of ufc fame was there. So was the late JD Hawkins  and I believe Steve Glassey as well. What actually happened I don’t know, but I’ve heard of this.

It could have been at Fullerton. I vaguely remember that it was either at the end of a clinic or local tournament, and Mckee had either won it or was there and that was when it happened. I think it's one of those stories that may have some elements of truth to it, but it has been around for so long that the details are different from person to person and a lot more people claim to have seen it than maybe the few hundred who were probably there.

10 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

It could have been at Fullerton. I vaguely remember that it was either at the end of a clinic or local tournament, and Mckee had either won it or was there and that was when it happened. I think it's one of those stories that may have some elements of truth to it, but it has been around for so long that the details are different from person to person and a lot more people claim to have seen it than maybe the few hundred who were probably there.

At least the guys mentioned were allegedly there.