Jump to content
Ragu

What if...

Recommended Posts

USA Wrestling, NCAA wrestling and all other levels announced that within the next few years they would shift into only freestyle wrestling? No more folkstyle, US finally catches up with Russia and the rest of the world and starts developing talent at a young age for international competition. What do the participation numbers look like if that were to happen. I can only see them staying the same or go down slightly. I think this move would make the US the best country in the world. Other thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

check out their drug program for one.. although we have our share of that too.

We kicked somebody off the Olympic team after they tested positive for weed. I don't think we're anywhere close to that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would harm participation.  
 

very few coaches of high school programs know freestyle.  
 

Of course these coaches in the majority aren’t the ones producing top recruits. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ragu said:

USA Wrestling, NCAA wrestling and all other levels announced that within the next few years they would shift into only freestyle wrestling? No more folkstyle, US finally catches up with Russia and the rest of the world and starts developing talent at a young age for international competition. What do the participation numbers look like if that were to happen. I can only see them staying the same or go down slightly. I think this move would make the US the best country in the world. Other thoughts?

Sure. As long as you are okay with it becoming exclusively a club sport only accessible to those with the wallets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pinnum said:

Would harm participation.  
 

very few coaches of high school programs know freestyle.  
 

Of course these coaches in the majority aren’t the ones producing top recruits. 
 

 

Forget participation. It’s getting it sanctioned that’s the issue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

We kicked somebody off the Olympic team after they tested positive for weed. I don't think we're anywhere close to that. 

You think none of our guys have used performance enhancing drugs? You maybe right..

personally I’d bet my bank account on it happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The US is already the second or third best country for freestyle wrestling.

And Russia may not be allowed to wrestle internationally again for, who knows, a decade or so thanks to their petty little dictator and the oligarchs, fools, and propagandists there and also here in the US who prop him up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

You think none of our guys have used performance enhancing drugs? You maybe right..

personally I’d bet my bank account on it happening.

Without a cooperating anti doping organization it makes it much harder. USADA makes it extremely difficult to cheat. I'm sure a few who aren't in the testing pool probably get away with it. Most of our top guys who get busted get it for being careless, like Kamal Bey missing drug tests, or Daton Fix and JO taking something that isn't really performance enhancing but is still banned. I don't think our top guys are juiced to the gills like the Russians probably are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ragu said:

USA Wrestling, NCAA wrestling and all other levels announced that within the next few years they would shift into only freestyle wrestling? No more folkstyle, US finally catches up with Russia and the rest of the world and starts developing talent at a young age for international competition. What do the participation numbers look like if that were to happen. I can only see them staying the same or go down slightly. I think this move would make the US the best country in the world. Other thoughts?

Catch up with the rest of the world?  USA is one of the top three teams in the world.

If the US bagged folkstyle, we would probably stop spending more on wrestling than the rest of the world combined and eventually decay into the 18th or 19th best country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ionel said:

... we keep all the current weight classes but switch to sumo wrestling rules (lot of folks want to reward pushing)?

You do understand you can’t just push someone out and that there are a myriad of ways to punish guys who just push…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jp157 said:

You do understand you can’t just push someone out and that there are a myriad of ways to punish guys who just push…

hey, we are all just playing "what if" here, stay on topic  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like folkstyle better - might be cultural.  But I am ok if we try a few rules from freestyle to see if it works.  Two that are interesting: (i) ref can put guys on their feet after :30 if the top man has not turned the botton man or a turn does not seem imminent; and (ii) in OT, a pushout rule instead of first to score. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...