Ragu

What if...

22 hours ago, Pinnum said:

Would harm participation.  

very few coaches of high school programs know freestyle.  

Of course these coaches in the majority aren’t the ones producing top recruits. 

Would high schools be willing to switch to a style that promotes throws that reward putting wrestlers in dangerous positions (feet over head)? They may view it as unsafe.

12 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Would high school parents be willing to switch to a style that promotes throws that reward putting wrestlers in dangerous positions (feet over head)? They may view it as unsafe.

ftfy

34 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Was thinking more administrators than parents, actually.

Think of how many parents will say no when the below average kids are being thrown on their heads.  Parents influence the admin.  Look at football and even concern about headers at younger age in soccer.  

6 hours ago, ionel said:

Think of how many parents will say no when the below average kids are being thrown on their heads.  Parents influence the admin.  Look at football and even concern about headers at younger age in soccer.  

The most realistic plan I’ve seen is that schools switch but keep the slam rule for hs season. That way they’re getting the par tare sooner 

On 4/17/2022 at 5:56 PM, Pinnum said:

Would harm participation.  

very few coaches of high school programs know freestyle.  

Of course these coaches in the majority aren’t the ones producing top recruits. 

I agree about most coaches not knowing freestyle, although there are plenty of those producing top recruits.

But due to the lack of knowledge in coaching and probably refereeing, I think it would help our international success eventually, but would probably take like 20+ years until the kids learning it more as kids become coaches.  And you do probably lose some coaches along the way

On 4/17/2022 at 8:06 PM, TripNSweep said:

Without a cooperating anti doping organization it makes it much harder. USADA makes it extremely difficult to cheat. I'm sure a few who aren't in the testing pool probably get away with it. Most of our top guys who get busted get it for being careless, like Kamal Bey missing drug tests, or Daton Fix and JO taking something that isn't really performance enhancing but is still banned. I don't think our top guys are juiced to the gills like the Russians probably are. 

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about the Fix and JO thing.  My understanding at the time was they had performance enhancing "supplements" in their system.  I also remember the story about Fix drinking from his Dad's water bottle by mistake that got his ban reduced.  Sorry but that seems pretty unlikely.  A lot of people seem willing to overlook this but, cheating is still cheating no matter how much spin is put on it.

Any style of wrestling where you could have two elite wrestlers facing each other in a highly anticipated match, end within the first 30 seconds because someone got a good leg lace and wins by tech is stupid.

1 minute ago, Boompa said:

Any style of wrestling where you could have two elite wrestlers facing each other in a highly anticipated match, end within the first 30 seconds because someone got a good leg lace and wins by tech is stupid.

Does this axiom apply to pin falls as well?

I support and watch all of the different types or wrestling.  Not sure how you could be a fan of the sport and only like one style, but I guess to each their own.

Wonder if there could be freestyle woven into the folkstyle season?  Maybe 1 or 2 duals and a tournament or two that are freestyle?

1 hour ago, dman115 said:

I support and watch all of the different types or wrestling.  Not sure how you could be a fan of the sport and only like one style, but I guess to each their own.

Wonder if there could be freestyle woven into the folkstyle season?  Maybe 1 or 2 duals and a tournament or two that are freestyle?

It needs to be an actual shift if we do it at all. The closest to a practical solution is keeping the slam rule during hs season 

Even with that. I honestly don’t think scholastic would survive if it switch’s. While I know some are okay with that.. especially high up in USA wrestling.. 

Whether or not freestyle people and the chip on their shoulder Greco people want to admit it. The folk style and scholastic system is why our funding and participation is so relatively high 

5 minutes ago, jp157 said:

It needs to be an actual shift if we do it at all. The closest to a practical solution is keeping the slam rule during hs season 

Even with that. I honestly don’t think scholastic would survive if it switch’s. While I know some are okay with that.. especially high up in USA wrestling.. 

Whether or not freestyle people and the chip on their shoulder Greco people want to admit it. The folk style and scholastic system is why our funding and participation is so relatively high 

Agreed jp...it would take a massive change in a lot of things for it to even remotely have a chance to work.  I am not sure there is a problem that needs fixing in which switching from folkstyle to freestyle is the solution.  Participation across the board in terms of all styles seems to be the problem.

6 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Agreed jp...it would take a massive change in a lot of things for it to even remotely have a chance to work.  I am not sure there is a problem that needs fixing in which switching from folkstyle to freestyle is the solution.  Participation across the board in terms of all styles seems to be the problem.

I agree. 

There are certain toxic elements and attitudes in wrestling culture. Especially the lower you go that I honestly think are the biggest contributing factors for lower numbers. I find that sometimes wrestling has issues looking itself in the mirror.

So I do my best to make sure I do my own part in my personal situation. And try to be someone that actually say certain things out loud. 

55 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I don’t think folkstyle is WHY funding/participation is “relatively high” to begin with, but because it is so ingrained at this point it would be extremely hard to switch.

53 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t think folkstyle is WHY funding/participation is “relatively high” to begin with, but because it is so ingrained at this point it would be extremely hard to switch.

Folkstyle is literally state sanctioned and funded albeit indirectly…

57 minutes ago, jp157 said:

But it’s not. 

Correct, that was my point.  I don’t think folkstyle is the reason participation is  “relatively high” and I bet it’d be similar had it been freestyle from the beginning.  But because it’s not, it’s going to be tough to change at this stage in the game.

36 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Correct, that was my point.  I don’t think folkstyle is the reason participation is  “relatively high” and I bet it’d be similar had it been freestyle from the beginning.  But because it’s not, it’s going to be tough to change at this stage in the game.

There are reasons one was adopted back in the day

9 hours ago, balanceseeker said:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about the Fix and JO thing.  My understanding at the time was they had performance enhancing "supplements" in their system.  I also remember the story about Fix drinking from his Dad's water bottle by mistake that got his ban reduced.  Sorry but that seems pretty unlikely.  A lot of people seem willing to overlook this but, cheating is still cheating no matter how much spin is put on it.

JO had taken something for ADHD and didn't have an updated prescription. The thing with Fix is plausible because the levels found were so low it made sense he accidentally ingested something. It isn't do much as cheating but being careless. Like why Bey got suspended even though he never tested positive for anything. 

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

And what reasons would those be?

It wasn’t a deliberate choice to pick “freestyle or folk”. The catch wrestling and then its modifications for safety were what was happening in the us and in schools at first. You’re treating it like it was the thing we picked not the first thing period. Which it was