Sign in to follow this  
Casper

Which School produced Coaches with most NCAA Titles?

Not necessarily coaching at the school they attended - though the two from OSU did it.

Iowa State, with Gable & Cael?

Oklahoma State with Roderick & Smith?

Any others in the running for consolation prizes?

The only one I could not find a college for was Art Griffith, I know he was at Central High in Tulsa, OK for quite a while before taking over OkState.  Maybe he didn't go to College?  It wasn't nearly as important almost 100 years ago. He did end up with 8, so if someone knows he attended one for sure, that would give that school a HUGE boost.

Here are the top schools:(coaches that attended that school and won a DI championship head coaching at any school)

OkState: 29-Gallagher 11, Roderick 7, Smith 5, J Rob 3, Chesbro 1, Douglas 1, Peninger 1

Iowa State 25-Gable 15, Sanderson 9, Gibbons 1

Iowa 11 Kurdelmeier 2, Brands 4, Zalesky 3, Ryan 1,  W.H. "Billy" Thom(not Thorn) 1

Michigan 10- Nichols 6, Robertson 3, Paul Keen 1

Oklahoma 6-Robertson(attended both UofM and OU) 3, Tommy Evans 2, Stan Abel 1

These guys coached 77(not counting Robertson twice) of the  92(1933 had a tie) teams that won over the 91 years of NCAA DI Championships.

Here are the others:

Art Griffith 8-UNKNOWN

Joe Seay 2-Kansas State

David McCuskey 1-UNI

Paul Scott 1-Cornell College

Charles Spiedel 1-  All I see was he was a boxer from NJ, but I don't see his attending college anywhere

Hugo Otopali 1-University of Nebraska-Lincoln

W.H. Thorn(it is actually Billy Thom) 1-He was an Iowa halfback on the 1922 championship team and will be added to Iowa above

Edited by MSU158

14 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

The only one I could not find a college for was Art Griffith, I know he was at Central High in Tulsa, OK for quite a while before taking over OkState.  Maybe he didn't go to College?  It wasn't nearly as important almost 100 years ago. He did end up with 8, so if someone knows he attended one for sure, that would give that school a HUGE boost.

Here are the top schools:(coaches that attended that school and won a DI championship head coaching at any school)

OkState: 29-Gallagher 11, Roderick 7, Smith 5, J Rob 3, Chesbro 1, Douglas 1, Peninger 1

Iowa 10- Kurdelmeier 2, Brands 4, Zalesky 3, Ryan 1

These guys coached 77(not counting Robertson twice) of the  92(1933 had a tie) teams that won over the 91 years of NCAA DI Championships.

add UNI

McCuskey, though he never wrestled but was an athlete

as well as Cornell college, Scott, coach of the dream team... though he didn't wrestle either and was an athlete

Kansas State Joe Seay 2

PSU 1 Charles Spiedel I dont think was a wrestler either 

only one i couldn't find was WH Thorn from indiana's title 

1 minute ago, GockeS said:

add UNI

as well as Cornell college, Scott, coach of the dream team... though he didn't wrestle either and was an athlete

Kansas State Joe Seay 2

I knew all those, I just only listed the top schools.  

4 minutes ago, GockeS said:

add UNI

Kansas State Joe Seay 2

Just for you, I will add the rest to that post above.

i was going to look up otopalik... no idea he was a nebraska guy

https://nwhof.org/hall_of_fame/bio_by_name/hugo-otopalik

and as far as spiedel, i thought i had seen he went to psu, but was in error. like you all i could find was gold gloves, and was hired to be the boxing and wrestling coach

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/3841/Rev-Rewind-1953-Penn-State?

Edited by GockeS

On 4/19/2022 at 8:58 AM, MSU158 said:

Iowa 11 Kurdelmeier 2, Brands 4, Zalesky 3, Ryan 1,  W.H. "Billy" Thom(not Thorn) 1

Here are the others:

Art Griffith 8-UNKNOWN

Joe Seay 2-Kansas State

David McCuskey 1-UNI

Paul Scott 1-Cornell College

Charles Spiedel 1-  All I see was he was a boxer from NJ, but I don't see his attending college anywhere

Hugo Otopali 1-University of Nebraska-Lincoln

W.H. Thorn(it is actually Billy Thom) 1-He was an Iowa halfback on the 1922 championship team and will be added to Iowa above

Nice work   Griffith was also Okie State (https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/2876

Also, Sanderson is closing rapidly on Gable.

7 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Nice work   Griffith was also Okie State (https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/2876

Also, Sanderson is closing rapidly on Gable.

Thanks. Nice find on Griffith. Really puts OKState solidly in the lead.   

I fully expect Sanderson to catch and pass Gable. He doesn’t seem nearly as beat up or stressed out Like Dan was. So I would assume he coaches more than the 21 years Gable did.

Now, Will he get 15 by his 21st year?  Not so sure. But, I would t be surprised if he gets close to 20 before he is done. 

Edited by MSU158